Marvel AOC-SASLP-MV8 - 8 Sata PCI-E 4x non-raid controller card

Install the server 2003 driver from the CD?

It won't let me says invalid driver for the device. The controller shows up as a Primary IDE Channel in device manager with a yellow exclamation mark saying conflicting resources.

It won't let me says invalid driver for the device. The controller shows up as a Primary IDE Channel in device manager with a yellow exclamation mark saying conflicting resources.
Load the XP driver. It works perfectly.

Last edited:
Load the XP driver. It works perfectly.

"The specified location does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the location contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32 bit systems."

"The specified location does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the location contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32 bit systems."

Don' know what to say. Get a new driver CD. Its worked every time for me and I've built about a dozen WHS machines using this HBA.

Well this an interesting development. after pulling some drives neither one of my controllers is showing smart. previously the first one did, as it was fully populated. maybe the drivers can only give SMART temp info if they are fully populated? though i doubt thats the case.

I just got the SASLP-MV8 card and installed on my WHS build w/ Norco 4220 case. I'm using Asus M4A89GTD PRO mobo and setup the bios in AHCI mode. I've installed WHS with just the OS drive and AMD AHCI driver. I installed the card in PCI-Ex16 slot1 (no drives attached to it) and boot the system. System POSTs and I enter the SM bios settings to disable INT13h. System reboots, POSTS again, goes through SM bios (detects no drives... which is fine since I don't have any drives connected to it) but then the system hangs in endless boot loop. I've tried moving the SASLP card to different location on the mobo... PCI-Ex16 slot2, PCI-Ex4 slot... nothing will boot the system.

After many frustrating hours, I change the mobo sata ports to IDE... and viola, system boots up normally. This is not what I want since 4 mobo sata ports are no longer hot-swap capable. =(

Could it be a bad card or just some weird system conflict??? Any ideas?

JB

This is the classic Windows AHCI/Raid driver behavior. When you first boot and for the first few steps of windows startup, you are using the drivers built into the MB bios. At some point of the process, windows installs its own driver model and starts over. Unfortunately, unless you've done something to get the AHCI drivers loaded then you are SOL, windows will crash and everything starts over. It has nothing at all to do with your SASLP-MV8 controller.

You've got to get the AHCI windows driver loaded. Nothing in the WHS installer makes this easy. In the Vista/7 installer you can do this through the setup UI, in the NT/XP installer you do this through the "F6/floppy" process. Unfortunately, the WHS installer is a two-step process that is part 7 and part XP and it is pretty darn difficult to get the drivers in. The best way to do it is to slipstream it in.

This is the classic Windows AHCI/Raid driver behavior. When you first boot and for the first few steps of windows startup, you are using the drivers built into the MB bios. At some point of the process, windows installs its own driver model and starts over. Unfortunately, unless you've done something to get the AHCI drivers loaded then you are SOL, windows will crash and everything starts over. It has nothing at all to do with your SASLP-MV8 controller.

You've got to get the AHCI windows driver loaded. Nothing in the WHS installer makes this easy. In the Vista/7 installer you can do this through the setup UI, in the NT/XP installer you do this through the "F6/floppy" process. Unfortunately, the WHS installer is a two-step process that is part 7 and part XP and it is pretty darn difficult to get the drivers in. The best way to do it is to slipstream it in.

Interesting... When I first setup WHS, I did slipstream the AHCI drivers into the USB. I setup bios for AHCI and booted with single OS drive from USB. WHS installed without any problems. After booting, checked the system and AMD AHCI drive is active and works okay. When I install the SASLP card, system locks up and can't boot into WHS if AHCI is setup in the bios. I can boot without any issues with the SASLP if the bios is set up for IDE. This is totally frustrating! :mad:

JB

Interesting... When I first setup WHS, I did slipstream the AHCI drivers into the USB. I setup bios for AHCI and booted with single OS drive from USB. WHS installed without any problems. After booting, checked the system and AMD AHCI drive is active and works okay. When I install the SASLP card, system locks up and can't boot into WHS if AHCI is setup in the bios. I can boot without any issues with the SASLP if the bios is set up for IDE. This is totally frustrating! :mad:

JB

Strange indeed! Are you still at a place where a re-install is possible? Why not try slipstreaming the Marvell drivers too?

Strange indeed! Are you still at a place where a re-install is possible? Why not try slipstreaming the Marvell drivers too?

I don't think slipstreaming Marvell drivers will help out on my case... :mad: I think it's hardware problem with my mobo and SM card. The system will not boot in AHCI and SM card installed, period!!! I sent a tech problem ticket to Asus and still have not heard back from them. So, I looked at the net and the mobo manual and found some interesting stuff. The IRQ assignments on this mobo is shared... (ie. PCI-Ex16 slot 1 IRQ is shared with onboard sata controller, etc...) I'm thinking SM card does not like shared IRQ or the onboard sata controller, which is causing the system not to boot. If the mobo is in IDE mode, no probs at all.

UPDATA: 12/16/2010

Finally got a reply back from Asus Tech Support and they said... "option rom is not big enough to hold the SASLP rom/bios during boot, and it'll cause lockups or instability..." Dang... So, I downgraded the SASLP firmware to 3.1.0.15N from 3.1.0.21 and viola! System boots up w/o any problems in AHCI mode and SASLP card installed. The 15N firmware is 1/2 the size or smaller than the 21 firmware.

JB

Last edited:
So, I downgraded the SASLP firmware to 3.1.0.15N from 3.1.0.21 and viola! System boots up w/o any problems in AHCI mode and SASLP card installed. The 15N firmware is 1/2 the size or smaller than the 21 firmware.

JB

Where did you find the older version of the firmware? All I can seem to find is the latest 3.1.0.21 version.

G

I was looking for an * port card on newegg, and the reviews said that it won't work with some OS's. Will it work with WHS? Also, hoes the RAID on the card. Is there any?

Thanks

Anyone know of an easier way to flash the firmware on this card other than booting into dos? If not, what's the easiest way to boot into dos? I haven't touched any flavor of dos in a looong time, let alone booting into it from a windows machine.

Thanks in advance.

DO NOT update to new firmware. I did it and spend a week trying to find old version to downgrade.

Do you have a link to the old version? I'm going to try updating to the new firmware to see if it fixes a problem i'm having with the hp sas expander. It would be nice to have the old firmware available already in case the new firmware introduces more problems. Thanks.

Do you have a link to the old version? I'm going to try updating to the new firmware to see if it fixes a problem i'm having with the hp sas expander. It would be nice to have the old firmware available already in case the new firmware introduces more problems. Thanks.

Found it on the internet:
3.1.0.15 FIRMWARE
http://www.mediafire.com/?xa2b4nsq7zwydbr
Use bootable DOS usb or CD and execute smc-n.bat.

I had no intentions as my cards work fine (minus no smart data for WHS), but I was curious what they added.

I don't know what was added in new firmware but once I updated it took extra 5-10 min to boot. Server was basically frozen at card initialization prompt. I've noticed that new firmware is almost double size of old one.

Last edited:
That's good news. I just installed 2.6.35 on my system, seems that the mv_abort_task errors and subsequent controller freezes that i got when i was copying files with thunar have disappeared. Now I am trying all the other things that froze the controller, and will report back.

PS. When i am booting my fileserver, I get Port 3 errors from the MV8, and i need to press any key to continue. Everything works ok after that, but thats a PITA for a headless server(That only happens when I have the HP SAS expander connected)

Sorry to bring up such an old post, but I'm having a similar problem with my HP SAS expander. When my mv8 seems to hang once it gets to the part of detecting the drives attached to the sas expander. The difference between your problem and mine seems to be that this locks up my system, requiring a hard shutdown. The system refuses to boot once it tells me to press any key.

Would you mind telling me how you have your cards connected and, also, whether you have found a fix to this issue?

Thanks.

Does this card support port multipliers?

Does this card work under FreeNAS or OpenIndiana?

Does this card support port multipliers?

Does this card work under FreeNAS or OpenIndiana?

I can't help you with your second question, but this card "should" work with the hp sas expander. I put that in quotes because I can't seem to get it working, although many others have been able to get it working together.

(If someone has a fix to my problem, see the last 2 or 3 pages of the hp sas expander thread, please let me know)

HeIlo

I was reading the 28 pages and now i´m thinking if i should use this card in an ubuntu system using mdadm. Is there any new about the problems you found?

Best Regards

Sorry to bring up such an old post, but I'm having a similar problem with my HP SAS expander. When my mv8 seems to hang once it gets to the part of detecting the drives attached to the sas expander. The difference between your problem and mine seems to be that this locks up my system, requiring a hard shutdown. The system refuses to boot once it tells me to press any key.

Would you mind telling me how you have your cards connected and, also, whether you have found a fix to this issue?

Thanks.

Unfortunately I have not solved this problem. If I disconnect every single drive from the expander the card boots ok, and then i reconnect them one by one so that the OS sees them.

@golemcito
with new kernels (2.6.38) everything works fine for me. If you have already bought this card then try it, but if you havent then there are some better alternatives around

Unfortunately I have not solved this problem. If I disconnect every single drive from the expander the card boots ok, and then i reconnect them one by one so that the OS sees them.

@golemcito
with new kernels (2.6.38) everything works fine for me. If you have already bought this card then try it, but if you havent then there are some better alternatives around

No i haven´t bought it yet.
What are the better alternatives? Are those alternatives plug&play? I mean: plug the card, plug the hard disks and it is ready to launch mdadm :D

Thanx in advance

People seem to like the IBM M1015 card, but i still have not found out if it can work as an HBA card without RAID-0 for each disk and support smart (That is with linux and a stock kernel)

anyone know where to get a SFF-8087 to 4 angled sata connector?

I read that the max speed on this controller was around 34mbp/s? is that correct?

I was planning on using some 5900rpm 2tb drives, what transfer speed could I expect between the drives?

Last edited:
anyone know where to get a SFF-8087 to 4 angled sata connector?

I read that the max speed on this controller was around 34mbp/s? is that correct?

I was planning on using some 5900rpm 2tb drives, what transfer speed could I expect between the drives?

Slowest i;ve seen on mine is 60 MB/sec to a single 2tb drive near the end of the volume.
Fastest is well over 100 MB/sec

I cant get this card tob oot on the mobo I have on hand. which would save me from buying a new one..
I am using a asus p5gc-mx/I333

I think I have the card in the video slot? is that even possible? can anyone think of a way to make this work on this mobo?

Thanks for all the info guys! this forums a lot of info lol

Dear folks,
I would be pleased if someone has an idea if 1 or better 2 of these cards work in combination with an Asrock P67 Extreme6 or 4.

Thank you very much in advance!

Slight thread resurrection but I'm having a hell of a time with this card under windows and linux (about to try Solaris :p ). Drives just drop out all the time, even when they aren't in a bloody raid. Is it because all my HDs are WD Greens? Would I see less drop outs if I I replaced all the drives with Hitachi 3k5 drives?

Slight thread resurrection but I'm having a hell of a time with this card under windows and linux (about to try Solaris :p ). Drives just drop out all the time, even when they aren't in a bloody raid. Is it because all my HDs are WD Greens? Would I see less drop outs if I I replaced all the drives with Hitachi 3k5 drives?

I have no issues under windows home server (which is based on server 2k3) with the hitachi 3k5's. Its 99% likely to be the WD greens

A green will drop out if it finds a bad sector and spends a few minutes trying to read it before giving up. I used to have a couple of greens drop out at first, but running dd reads or whatever across them for a while (or badblocks if they're not full of data yet) fixed it. Not all of them had sectors they needed to reallocate, though.

This is the point of using the WDTLER tool to change their firmware to act like RAID edition drives, anyway.. so they give up sooner on such sectors. Although that stopped working with EARS I think.. :/

(Note: I don't have this card, but a similar one. MV88SX6081 - PCI-X)

A green will drop out if it finds a bad sector and spends a few minutes trying to read it before giving up. I used to have a couple of greens drop out at first, but running dd reads or whatever across them for a while (or badblocks if they're not full of data yet) fixed it. Not all of them had sectors they needed to reallocate, though.

This is the point of using the WDTLER tool to change their firmware to act like RAID edition drives, anyway.. so they give up sooner on such sectors. Although that stopped working with EARS I think.. :/

(Note: I don't have this card, but a similar one. MV88SX6081 - PCI-X)

4 of the drives have TLER set to 7, but 4 of them were recently (and probably wrongly RMAed) so I got newer firmware which doesn't have support for changing TLER :(.

Disabled WDIDLE on all of them though and we'll see what pops up. In other news no Solaris support yet for this controller which makes me sad.

I've had no problem with my card and drives dropping out using linux. I use a mix of WD greens and Samsung f4s in the same array.

Damn, even having random drives drop out in Windows Server 2k8. Might be a bad card or it just doesn't play well with WD Green drives. I've ran the WD Data Life Plus software and found no errors. Funny thing is, if I ran the util with the drives connected to the MV8 they'd drop out 1/2 way through.

Gonna replace all the drives with Hitachi 3k5 2TB disks and see what happens. After than gonna move to an Areca 1222 card.

Back