Martinje SLI Surround Portrait Gaming

martinje

[H]ard|Gawd
With me researching gaming in portrait mode, I notice one thing. Not many gamers play in this mode. I could not find if a game even worked in portrait mode or not. So I have taken it upon myself to make small videos of games in Surround portrait mode. A little bit about my system, Dual 480 , I7-950 stock for now, 6 gig of ram, Asus Rampage III Formula board. Video Drivers are 260 Beta. 3 U2311h Monitors

I will keep posting new videos as they become available.

One game I really wanted to try was Borderlands and I could not find much info on it at all. Only saw one or two video of it running in landscape but not in portrait. So without further wait here's a link I made of the game running in portrait mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hiPX5ER67g

Been playing for about 2 hours ruuning very smooth.

I will keep updating with video as I keep adding more games.

Last edited:
Ya portrait for multi-monitor setups owns landscape.

I think that it is a user discretion thingy :)

I mean, when you run 3 monitors in portrait you are closer to emulating just 1 huge ass 16:9 or 16:10 display, that is awesome indeed, but for some peeps when they want triple monitor gaming they might want a wider viewing angle, closer to 180º, as this can give them a gaming edge by virtue of a diminished blind spot.

Still KUDOS for making it work :D glad that you are enjoying your setup dude :D

Thanks Revdarian, I tried landscape mode, but I felt more in the game portrait. I felt like I was in the game sensation. Maybe hard to explain but it just feels more imersive.

Ok here is Resident Evil 5 portrait 3240 x 1920 .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0-TPeJwA1M

Guys I sure hope you all enjoy these videos and can help you all in a way.

I'd go as far as saying that different games look better in different modes. racing games for one would be better in landscape as from the cockpit view you can see the mirrors on the corresponding monitors to the side and black people trying to pass you.

Other games look better in Portrait IMO. I think I may prefer portrait for most games personally, however I've never sat in front of a portrait setup.

Congrats on the setup matrinje. BTW Ryu's ultra was charged 2x and could have helped you. down to forward 2x with all 3 kick or 3 punch buttons for either fireball or shoryuken. I prefer the super shoryuken.

Nice, but I'm not seeing bezel correction implemented here. Maybe that's not possible in portrait gaming. Is that the case martinje?

Yes you can use bezel correction, I did not like the look for it. I hated not being able to see whats behind the bezel. I tried it for a few games but I didnt care for it. For example Aion, if you have an icon behind the bezel, there it is and you cant see it. In some FPS I did not like missing part of the gun. So after that I went back to the normal view. I enjoy it better.

Do you have Bezel correction enabled?

And is your middle screen in front of the other two to overlap the middle bezels??

Edit: I have to say .. freaking awesome, I'm defenatly going 3x1 Portrait!

I dont use bezel correction, I have it running 3240 x 1920 . I did not like the look of bezel correction.

No the middle monitor is flush agaisnt the bezel of the other bezels. They are Dell U2311H.

I have been very happy with my setup I will keep posting more videos as I keep gaming.

I dont use bezel correction, I have it running 3240 x 1920 . I did not like the look of bezel correction.

No the middle monitor is flush agaisnt the bezel of the other bezels. They are Dell U2311H.

I have been very happy with my setup I will keep posting more videos as I keep gaming.

Yeah sweet stuff.

just like that if you have like a stool or something to rest the camera on while you game .. that would be awsome :O)

How does surround works is it like eyefinity, and does the taskbar expand to all 3 monitor in surround?

I've setup my screens in portrait and love it.

Alienware AW2310 - 1080p @ 120hz x 3.
GTX570 SLI

it kicks arse... could never go back to landscape.

I'm looking for a video of world of warcraft in portrait if anyone can post one.

How does surround works is it like eyefinity, and does the taskbar expand to all 3 monitor in surround?

Yes, they work the same.

I'm looking for a video of world of warcraft in portrait if anyone can post one.

I don't have a video, but here is WoW on my 3x 30" portrait setup.

SANY00073.jpg

How is it on that setup? I'm debating 3x 23inch ips from dell or a single 30inch (with a 26inch as secondary) and I put most of my hours into wow, followed by COD/BF2/etc.

Not sure if the money spent validates what I do, but honestly the money would probably just go to atlantic city anyway lol.

Ok [H]ard Ocper's I know all of ya have been WANTING this video forever!! I know you all wanted to see this in ACTION!! Without further waiting, to the all [H]ard Ocper's

Here it is :

Wizard 101 in Nvidia Portrait Mode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFcLS9CLXcE

I usually play in my M11x in the girls play-room but today we played in my office. Hehe you will hear them in the background.

Last edited:
Ok here is another great game that I am enjoying in Nvidia Portrait Mode.

Darksiders

This game did not work right away, it looked very ugly and stretched. I had to get a third party hex editor and edit a configuration file. More information can be read in the widescreen gaming forums if you want to do something. After changes the game is awesome! Im enjoying it quite a bit. Here is a link to the video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbS0n6baO7Y

Last edited:
No bezel correction, gross-a-tronic :)

I can see why you didn't like it hiding your icons, but man imo it looks horrible without it! Thanks for the videos though!

No bezel correction, gross-a-tronic :)

I can see why you didn't like it hiding your icons, but man imo it looks horrible without it! Thanks for the videos though!

I did not like it, if I dont want to use it I wont, thanks for looking and move along.

no need to get defensive buddy

I would suggest next time you post your opnion on another mans treasure avoid using "gross-a-tronic " / "Horrible". You wont be making buddies posting words like that.

Ok made another small video. "Rift" Just ran around town, I will post one up in the battlegrounds, my daughter was driving the turtle around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpUmX48j32s

Settings are on HIGH, change the view distance to 3/4 and enabled smoothing. With those settings Im running @ 70 fps. In MAJOR intense rifts, and action scenes it will drop down to 42 fps. Still smooth but I think thats the highest I can go without it drops below 40.

Yeah bezel correction would help you. Then again I prefer Landscape to Portrait mode for the wider field of view. If I had stupid high resolution like 27" or 30" monitors then I'd probably go P mode cos I would have too much width to deal with then.

I bought Darkstar One today, unfortunately the game wont run in surround portrait. If i dissable my surround mode and leave it in SLI, it loads up fine. Some people got it working in eyefinity, but no go as of yet to Nvidia Portrait mode. I will let you all know if I get it working.

martinje, do you have Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas? I would love to see either in 3 x 30" Portrait mode, if you can do it. :)

martinje, do you have Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas? I would love to see either in 3 x 30" Portrait mode, if you can do it. :)

Dont have either of those games to test them sorry. If a deal comes up for them Ill buy them in the Direct2Driver summer sale.

Back