Martin Logans on the Egg $200 - $300 off

I purchased my first set of Logans when I was 18 (12 years ago) since then I've upgraded several times and have always loved them. It's sad to see martin logan sell out. While these are the brand martin logan they aren't real logans. The real ones are made in the US these are made in china. These are ribbon speakers which imitate an an electrostatic sound (martin logans signature technology)... not the real deal.

That being said... for the money they're decent speakers. Just sad to see a brand I've admired and supported for the last 12 years cheapen its image.

While these are the brand martin logan they aren't real logans.
Just curious, why aren't these real Martin Logans?

I've been an audiophile fan of their speakers since the mid 70s.

Are they out of business?

Ribbon speakers do not have woofers. You can add a sub to them but adding a driver, no matter how much you try, will not match them to the electrostat part of the speaker.

In other words, ribbon speakers are tall, flat and thin. These are not.

Ribbon speakers do not have woofers. You can add a sub to them but adding a driver, no matter how much you try, will not match them to the electrostat part of the speaker.

In other words, ribbon speakers are tall, flat and thin. These are not.
I know all about different configurations and Martin Logan has had many.

Ribbons and electrostatic speakers have come in many configurations with and without dynamic subs.

I had a pair of Acoustat Model 4s...
images6e.th.jpg

with the tube amps...
ampso.th.jpg

and they needed no external subs becuase they were a full range electrostatic.

AFAIK Martin Logan never made ribbon speakers, only electrostatics.

BTW, here's the difference...
An electrostat has a diaphragm, usually a polymer, stretched tight and between two charged stators. The stators need a high voltage supply to charge them.

A ribbon is a strip of aluminum (usually) that is sometimes corrugated, that hangs between rows of permanent magnets. The ribbon cannot be stretched tight and it sits in the magnetic gap between the magnets. You'll have magnets turned to the positive on one side and negative on the other. You'll pass the signal through the ribbon.

You'll also find quasi-ribbons with foil conductors stuck to a membrane of some type, and you'll also find planars which are sort of a combination. A planar will have something like a stator, but with a bunch of magnets on it. The diaphragm will have a conductor etched onto it, so the driver will move back and forth similar to thhe action of an electrostat.

I still don't know why these aren't official Martin Logan speakers. :confused:

Just curious, why aren't these real Martin Logans?

I've been an audiophile fan of their speakers since the mid 70s.

Are they out of business?

OK - Yes they are "Real" but they aren't electrostatics which is what Martin Logan is known for. They are cheap spearkers designed by Martin Logan and then made in China and don't come close to comparing with a traditional pair of Logans. My point while not properly delivered is that these speakers won't sound like a proper pair of logans...

Basically he's saying that buying a cone based speaker from ML is like going to a Chinese restaurant and ordering a hamburger. It's not the style of speaker they're known for. They're known for their Electrostats. That being said these are still a damn good deal.

Also if anyone wants a listen first check out a local Best Buy Magnolia store, they tend to have the Motion line in stock from what I've heard.

Unfortunately its hard to find anything that's not maid in China anymore. Even many of the B & W's are maid in China now. But I would say the price is right on these. Especially at this sale price. I would want to listen to them first however.

OK - Yes they are "Real" but they aren't electrostatics which is what Martin Logan is known for.
IC says the blind Old Hippie! :)

Seems these speakers are using an Air Motion Transformer , which is a Heil speaker used by the ESS company in the early 70's, and dynamic bass speakers.

I see your point.

I remember listening to a few models with the Heil but it was so "fast" that it didn't match well with the subs when used in a 2-way system.

But that was in the 70's. :)

I purchased my first set of Logans when I was 18 (12 years ago) since then I've upgraded several times and have always loved them. It's sad to see martin logan sell out. While these are the brand martin logan they aren't real logans. The real ones are made in the US these are made in china. These are ribbon speakers which imitate an an electrostatic sound (martin logans signature technology)... not the real deal.

That being said... for the money they're decent speakers. Just sad to see a brand I've admired and supported for the last 12 years cheapen its image.

Stop spreading fud. They are real Logans, they are just not ESL panels. Fuck you if you think Logan sold out. They still have their headquarters in Kansas and their main manufacturing plant is in Canada. They are trying to remain competitive. The motion series of speakers are still ML speakers, they are just more in the budget range.

That being said, you buy Logans for the ESL panels. My Spires are frickin' awesome and I will likely purchase Logans in the future if I ever want to upgrade ;D

OK - Yes they are "Real" but they aren't electrostatics which is what Martin Logan is known for. They are cheap spearkers designed by Martin Logan and then made in China and don't come close to comparing with a traditional pair of Logans. My point while not properly delivered is that these speakers won't sound like a proper pair of logans...

They are also, much much cheaper. You won't really see an of the ESL panels that are really cheap.

Stop spreading fud. They are real Logans, they are just not ESL panels. Fuck you if you think Logan sold out. They still have their headquarters in Kansas and their main manufacturing plant is in Canada. They are trying to remain competitive. The motion series of speakers are still ML speakers, they are just more in the budget range.

That being said, you buy Logans for the ESL panels. My Spires are frickin' awesome and I will likely purchase Logans in the future if I ever want to upgrade ;D

wow, pretty harsh...

:rolleyes:

And your point being?????

People can have their opinions, but when they going throwing around statements that claim a company "sold out" when they are still one of the few companies that stand behind their customers I will post my opinion.

I will put it this way about Martin Logan. A buddy of mine bought a pair of Martin Logan speakers from a Chicago ML dealer (so the dealer was in Chicago and my buddy lived in Texas). The speakers arrived with one of the speaker binding posts broken. My buddy contacts the dealer and they send him a replacement, but the replacement was faulty and ending up messing up the crossover network on the speaker. So, my buddy calls up Martin Logan. They send out a complete replacement of the back cover, amplifier and crossover network. Register the speakers so they have a full warranty and tell my buddy that they will be investigating the dealer he bought the speakers from; since ML's are not supposed to be a "mail order" type speaker unless they are bought from authorized ONLINE dealers (ala Amazon, Newegg, etc.).

That is some good customer service. ML takes care of their customers. Even if you buy the Motion series of speakers they still take care of their customers. Anyone who thinks differently can go jump off a bridge for all I care.

And your point being?????

People can have their opinions, but when they going throwing around statements that claim a company "sold out" when they are still one of the few companies that stand behind their customers I will post my opinion.

I will put it this way about Martin Logan. A buddy of mine bought a pair of Martin Logan speakers from a Chicago ML dealer (so the dealer was in Chicago and my buddy lived in Texas). The speakers arrived with one of the speaker binding posts broken. My buddy contacts the dealer and they send him a replacement, but the replacement was faulty and ending up messing up the crossover network on the speaker. So, my buddy calls up Martin Logan. They send out a complete replacement of the back cover, amplifier and crossover network. Register the speakers so they have a full warranty and tell my buddy that they will be investigating the dealer he bought the speakers from; since ML's are not supposed to be a "mail order" type speaker unless they are bought from authorized ONLINE dealers (ala Amazon, Newegg, etc.).

That is some good customer service. ML takes care of their customers. Even if you buy the Motion series of speakers they still take care of their customers. Anyone who thinks differently can go jump off a bridge for all I care.

my point is that trying to be an internet tough guy really makes you look like a tool, it's not hard to understand that "you're wrong" gets the same point across without looking like such a jackass...

Martin Logan is famous for their electrostatics... and for good reason, I have a set of Martin Logan Aerius' and even people that are nowhere near "audiophiles" instantly ask "where are the other speakers?"

so ya, there is an audible difference...

as for these, well, I would really, really hope that ML is not putting their logo on crappy speakers like Klipsch did many moons ago... but it would not surprise me I guess

Back