Mars: War Logs $10 on Steam (Witcher-style RPG)

requiem99

Supreme [H]ardness
http://store.steampowered.com/app/232750/

I only caught onto this one today. Similar to Mass Effect, Witcher, Dragon Age Origins, KOTOR. Super low critic metacritic is wrong. Read the user reviews and you'll see this one is destined to be a cult classic just like The Witcher. I bought 3 copies today so far.

Back to the game...

God I wish steam would dump critic reviews in favor of user reviews. Game critics should have become extinct in 2000.

God I wish steam would dump critic reviews in favor of user reviews. Game critics should have become extinct in 2000.

Aggregate user reviews are even less reliable than "professional" ones. Far too many games get slammed with targeted campaigns to fuck up the user review score in one way or another. Not to mention most people can't write for shit and know jack all about presenting their opinion in a manner that makes it worth reading. That's not even getting into being able to justify whatever score they happen to give the game they're reviewing.

I bit, after reading up into a bit more through metacritic and also looking at some youtube reviews.

For $10 bucks you get a decent experience similar to the games mentioned in the OP. Which is also its bane, it tries to mimic the ever successful mechanics from Mass Effect and The Witcher, but comes out with an overall package not nearly as good. Tack that on with glitches and bugs and other shortcomings and I guess I can see why the "Pro" reviews would give such low scores and at the same time why user reviews would give good scores. Because at $10 and even $20 for some people, this is a great value for a game that's similar to the big hits. So, it's something to fill the void.

Aggregate user reviews are even less reliable than "professional" ones. Far too many games get slammed with targeted campaigns to fuck up the user review score in one way or another. Not to mention most people can't write for shit and know jack all about presenting their opinion in a manner that makes it worth reading. That's not even getting into being able to justify whatever score they happen to give the game they're reviewing.

Still butt hurt over DA2 and ME3 getting scores of 1 and 2's that they deserved I see.:p

Still butt hurt over DA2 and ME3 getting scores of 1 and 2's that they deserved I see.:p

No. That said, DA2 wasn't AS bad as the general concusses says. It's still pretty terrible, but it did have some redeeming elements and obvious potential. ME3....ME3....Nope, can't bring myself to say the same thing.

The critic ratings are pretty accurate in this case. Do not go in expecting a AAA title -- this is not it.

That said, they seem to have fixed a lot of the glaring errors that were there on launch (which also explains how the reviews get better the further from launch date you get). The user reviews are entirely too high, but that's expected.

If you're not an (A)RPG junkie, I'd wait for a lower sale or indie bundle.

No. That said, DA2 wasn't AS bad as the general concusses says.

You're right it wasn't as bad as the consensus, it was worse :p

No. That said, DA2 wasn't AS bad as the general concusses says. It's still pretty terrible, but it did have some redeeming elements and obvious potential. ME3....ME3....Nope, can't bring myself to say the same thing.

DA2 was pretty horrible besides you don't grade a game on potential, you grade it for what it is and DA2 was a horrid, lazy, half ass rush job to capitalize on Dragon Age 1.

DA2 was pretty horrible besides you don't grade a game on potential, you grade it for what it is and DA2 was a horrid, lazy, half ass rush job to capitalize on Dragon Age 1.

I'm not disagreeing with that. Though I think it being called "Dragon Age 2" caused a lot of the uproar. You don't grade a game on being a shitty sequel either.

You don't grade a game on being a shitty sequel either.

DA 1 got over 150 hours of playtime DA2 got maybe 12 hours and that was that. It got played all the way through just because of its name. If it wasn't a Dragon Age game I would have gave up on it and never finished it.

Not sure what else you would grade it on. I mean if you think the game was called Old Man Fire Hands that would have made the game better I disagree. For a Dragon Age sequel it fell flat on its face in that regards, as a game it was below average and mediocre due to horrible writing, recycled environments, horrid AI, mediocre combat and tepid characters.

I started this last week. not gotten too far. some of the fight mechanics are a little strange but overall an interesting game.

DA 1 got over 150 hours of playtime DA2 got maybe 12 hours and that was that. It got played all the way through just because of its name. If it wasn't a Dragon Age game I would have gave up on it and never finished it.

Not sure what else you would grade it on. I mean if you think the game was called Old Man Fire Hands that would have made the game better I disagree. For a Dragon Age sequel it fell flat on its face in that regards, as a game it was below average and mediocre due to horrible writing, recycled environments, horrid AI, mediocre combat and tepid characters.

When I'm playing a game I judge it based solely on what is presented to me from the game. It doesn't matter if it's a game from one of my favorite developers or from someone I have never heard of before. I also don't care about pre-release hype, other people's opinions, or any other game in its franchise (if it is part of one). I don't believe in judging a game based on it's predecessors. I believe a game is either good or bad on it's own, no matter the quality of the games that came before it. That is one of the reasons I say Mass Effect 2 is the best of the trilogy. 1 has a better story, but I find 2 a lot more fun to play on it's own.

On it's own merit DA2 is a bad game. Nothing can change that, but you can't say a lot of the hate for it didn't come from what it was called and who made it.

When I'm playing a game I judge it based solely on what is presented to me from the game. It doesn't matter if it's a game from one of my favorite developers or from someone I have never heard of before. I also don't care about pre-release hype, other people's opinions, or any other game in its franchise (if it is part of one). I don't believe in judging a game based on it's predecessors. I believe a game is either good or bad on it's own, no matter the quality of the games that came before it. That is one of the reasons I say Mass Effect 2 is the best of the trilogy. 1 has a better story, but I find 2 a lot more fun to play on it's own.

On it's own merit DA2 is a bad game. Nothing can change that, but you can't say a lot of the hate for it didn't come from what it was called and who made it.

AIDs was created for the people who created that game and ME2. Pulled the trigger on Mars so far its pretty good. Just the change of pace I needed.

Thanks OP - will give it a shot.

Stupid question - I am playing with a controller and there are long delays. Anyone else having that or is this a me problem?

Last edited:
Back