Mars Express Images Show the Icy Korolev Crater on the Red Planet

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Pictures of the water ice in the Korolev crater on Mars have been released by the European Space Agency. The icy interior of the crater is maintained by a phenomenon know as an 'ice trap'. This occurs naturally when "the air moving over the deposit of ice cools down and sinks, creating a layer of cold air that sits directly above the ice itself." The cold air acts as a shield to keep the ice from heating up and disappearing. Since air is a poor conductor of heat, it exacerbates the effect and keeps the environment permanently icy.

These images are an excellent celebration of such a milestone. Taken by the Mars Express High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC), this view of Korolev crater comprises five different ‘strips’ that have been combined to form a single image, with each strip gathered over a different orbit. The crater is also shown in perspective, context, and topographic views, all of which offer a more complete view of the terrain in and around the crater.

Much higher resolution images are in the article ESA article. Click the images in the original story and there will be two options for image quality.

damnit-cohaagen-give-these-people-air.jpg

Have the confirmed if its water? There are plenty of other gasses that can freeze into ice (although not sure if it is called ice...)

Have the confirmed if its water? There are plenty of other gasses that can freeze into ice (although not sure if it is called ice...)

yes they have confirmed water ice on mars multiple times now...

that said kinda shocked alot of people seem to be forgetting dry ice........also known as solid carbon dioxide...something mars has quite a bit of....most of its polar caps are solid carbon dioxide (dry ice we refer to it here on earth) you know that stuff some use for cooling pcs.....stuff we use to keep meats and other produce fresh during transit....stuff people toss into pools to create dense fog....

but yes....we have confirmed water ice on mars....

and im pretty sure they have either confirmed or relatively confirmed liquid water resivoir (lake) on mars a few hundred feet below frozen ice

a reference.....may add more later....but your welcome to look for information elsewhere related to subject...you know...incase ya dont trust this one...

(also noted on nasa website, and space.com)

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a22541370/underground-lake-liquid-water-mars/

edit: side note personal thoughts and opinions, related and unrelated....

alot of people beleive our exploration of mars and other bodies in the solar system is pointless and a waste of resources and money... honestly we cant stay here.... not if we want life to continue on as we know it.... climate issues aside...we are simply over populated and steadily growing and having a harder time meeting supply and demand..... our choice is simple really...either we figure out how to branch out....or we have a massive war/nuclear/die off.... but we simply cant keep on buisness as usual... somethings gotta give...

oh and this isnt just short term tin hat thinking....this is short term 200-300 years, maybe long term 500-1000 if were lucky...

end related/unrelated thoughts and opinion.

Last edited:
Water ice? Really? Isnt that the default kind of ice?

The distinction is necessary because Mars gets cold enough that CO2 can freeze. The southern cap has a permanent sheet several meters thick on top of the water ice cap, other areas have seasonal CO2 ice sheets.

Saturn's moon Titan has a mixture of frozen and liquid methane on the surface.

yes they have confirmed water ice on mars multiple times now...

alot of people beleive our exploration of mars and other bodies in the solar system is pointless and a waste of resources and money... honestly we cant stay here.... not if we want life to continue on as we know it.... climate issues aside...we are simply over populated and steadily growing and having a harder time meeting supply and demand..... our choice is simple really...either we figure out how to branch out....or we have a massive war/nuclear/die off.... but we simply cant keep on buisness as usual... somethings gotta give...

oh and this isnt just short term tin hat thinking....this is short term 200-300 years, maybe long term 500-1000 if were lucky...

end related/unrelated thoughts and opinion.
I think there are lots of reasons to consider exploring other bodies in the solar system. Science, commercial (mining, low gravity production, who knows...), and species survival.
Look back at the original lunar program - we gained a huge amount of knowledge from that program. I'm let down we don't have an outpost on the moon (kind of like we have in Antartica). I realize there are lots of challenges, but we landed on the moon well over 40 years ago.

I think there are lots of reasons to consider exploring other bodies in the solar system. Science, commercial (mining, low gravity production, who knows...), and species survival.
Look back at the original lunar program - we gained a huge amount of knowledge from that program. I'm let down we don't have an outpost on the moon (kind of like we have in Antartica). I realize there are lots of challenges, but we landed on the moon well over 40 years ago.

all said and done if i was in charge of things........once the moon is successfully resource depleted.... id send all flat earthers to the moon, so they can stare back at this here flat earth...... :)

The last 20-30 years have been pretty amazing for space discoveries. Wife and I have really enjoyed watching many newer specials on cable that have been produced in recent years. Can't remember them all but it's incredible how much we know now than when I was in high school not to mention great footage and great CG reproduction.

Honestly who cares about mars, it's a dead planet that we can't use. Find an earthlike planet nearby that our satellites or rover could reach and I'd be very excited.

Yes that would be good, except for the fact that there are no "near by"

So before someone come up with the pi drive ( more sensible name than warp drive ) or a sized ship that can take a colony of humans in what ever time it take, then there are no near by.

IMO i think our best bet are on several colony sized ships going in each their own direction.

Honestly who cares about mars, it's a dead planet that we can't use. Find an earthlike planet nearby that our satellites or rover could reach and I'd be very excited.

Ya that’s easier said than done. At this point we have a better chance of terraforming mars than we do of getting to the next closest solar system, let alone one that has an earth like planet.

Ya that’s easier said than done. At this point we have a better chance of terraforming mars than we do of getting to the next closest solar system, let alone one that has an earth like planet.

This.

The closest potential planet is 11 light years away, at the fastest speed a human-made spacecraft has ever gone, would still take 220,000 years to get there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_128_b

Back