Marking an item as sold

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I am about to post a new thread, and I've gotten warnings/removals in the past. I'm just trying to get a clear answer as to what is the proper format of marking an item as sold. Do I remove it completely? I know there have been discussions on the subject with various opinions. I was always hesitant to remove an item that was sold, thinking that would look suspicious to the buyer who was waiting for the item to be delivered. I also understand the frustration of searching for something, only to see it appear was sold in each search hit.

That's my question, though, as I feel, like I've had my threads edited by mods each time for doing it wrong. Do I cross it off? Do I remove the final price and replace it with SOLD?

The FS forum rules are pretty clear (under #3)...

"DO NOT BUMP your FS/T thread(s) simply to tell people the item has sold or you have found what you were looking for... all you accomplish is to knock someone else's thread off the front page.

This is a busy forum and threads move quickly enough. When your item(s) have sold or you've found what you're looking for, simply close the thread. If you do feel the need to mark your item sold, just edit the OP to indicate that."

There are no rules regarding whether you leave your asking price or not. I always edit my original post to have a strike-through on my asking price and put "SOLD" beside that--then close the thread. I feel that offers a service to other potential sellers as to what they may be able to get for a similar item and whether it is worth their time to sell. Other people, for some reason, remove the asking price. But, there are no specific rules either way. Just please, don't bump to say it's sold. This not only violates the rules, but it's super irritating.

I get the no-bumping. I haven't been doing that. The question I have is how to mark the item in the original post. I've had my original posts edited, so that's what I'm curious about and trying to avoid this time around.

Just edit or lock it, don't bump it with a new post. Most prefer for searching's sake not to edit items out completely.
This.

OP- there’s a 99% chance you for the infraction for bumping the thread when the item(s) sold. Which is a needless bump. Edit the original post to reflect

I get the no-bumping. I haven't been doing that. The question I have is how to mark the item in the original post. I've had my original posts edited, so that's what I'm curious about and trying to avoid this time around.

There's no right or wrong way to do it. I replace the dollar amount with SOLD because it's really no one's business what the seller and I agreed on. I don't want my post to be used as a bargaining chip in someone else's FS thread. Others like to leave the sale price available for others to see, but that doesn't necessarily tell you what the item sold for. It is just a reminder of the asking price. I've never had my original posts edited after the fact.

This.

OP- there’s a 99% chance you for the infraction for bumping the thread when the item(s) sold. Which is a needless bump. Edit the original post to reflect
I've had my original posts edited. I don't bump needlessly or outside of the acceptable reasons. I had an entire list of sold items removed from my original post. This is what is leading to my confusion, and the thread.

I was under the impression that there were rules on how the original post was to be edited by the seller...but wasn't finding anything on it under the rules for FS/FT. Good to know, as I'll likely just swap price for SOLD. I don't want to remove the details or descriptions, at least until the buyer has the item and the transaction is complete.

I've had my original posts edited. I don't bump needlessly or outside of the acceptable reasons. I had an entire list of sold items removed from my original post. This is what is leading to my confusion, and the thread.

I was under the impression that there were rules on how the original post was to be edited by the seller...but wasn't finding anything on it under the rules for FS/FT. Good to know, as I'll likely just swap price for SOLD. I don't want to remove the details or descriptions, at least until the buyer has the item and the transaction is complete.

How big did your post get and how long was it open?

It's a PITA when you're searching for something specific and a hit pops up from someone who listed and sold it months ago.

Less than 2 pages. It was active for about two weeks or so. I get that frustration. Happens to be often. So, what I may do this time around is remove the item completely, once the buyer has it and both sides are good.

There should maybe be an archive section that you send your closed for sale posts to, keeping the sale price and who it was sold it in the post.
this way you can search in the archives to see what stuff sold for in the past.
Maybe have a button that says close thread and move to archives.

Here is what I do.
  • Create one FS thread for whatever item(s) I have to sell at that time
  • Edit as items are sold using either "inline spoiler" or "strike-through"
  • I leave the prices but you don't have to
  • Once all item(s) are sold, close thread
For good etiquette:
Do not transplant any/all your sold item(s) to a new thread.
Do not keep a long running FS thread that is pages long/years old.

FWIW, I yank the items sold from the title, but may leave them in the post as sold - I search and have it report on titles only, so if I don't see the title containing the item I need (or it's not a "bunch of stuff for sale") I skip that thread.

...this is what it's come to? Bickering over how to mark an item sold?

I usually just put *Sold* in front of the Topic title and lock the thread. I did make the mistake of bumping it by accident by typing Sold in the thread. Was my newbie mistake but the mods are pretty cool about and just give you a detail warning of not to do it again.

Back