Mark Rein Responds To "Consoles Better Than PCs"

I kinda like this guy...

especially when someone replies to him on twitter stating:
Firecrow said:
Firecrow ‏@Firecrow_LG 23 May

@MarkRein @Gerritzen @developonline LOL. You could build a better box last year.

He returns with:
Mark Rein said:
@Firecrow_LG @Gerritzen and the year before :)

it's so true.

even my sons rig that is based on whatever parts i upgrade and is hard to put a value on will smoke the new consoles coming out. i believe its an i7870, 8gigs 2133 cl9 ram, and a
gtx560ti soc ed. if i were to sell it whole i would ask maybe 350.00. so im assuming this is the type of pc theye are talking about and yet it still is total bs.

the graphics detail of console vs pc games cant even be compared based on framers per second because the iq of a console game just plain sux. it is washed out and blended to get higher frame rates.

consoles suck period, and they always will compared to computers.

Its cute people still think hardware is what separates console and PC gaming.

Mark Reid is still wrong... the original quote said the ARCHITECTURE is a generation ahead of what's in a PC. HMA and Jaguar and the GPU(? not sure if it's sea islands or not for sure) are a generation ahead. They aren't faster, or better, but they are newer.

Mark Reid is still wrong... the original quote said the ARCHITECTURE is a generation ahead of what's in a PC. HMA and Jaguar and the GPU(? not sure if it's sea islands or not for sure) are a generation ahead. They aren't faster, or better, but they are newer.

Yep, architecture yes, performance no. Question is if/when we are going to see high-end APUs for PCs which should give better performance to games than separate CPU/GPU systems.

Innovation separates the two. With all of the rehashed titles due to consoles over the years, true creativity remains on the PC.

Most of it for me has to do with the communities, mapping, mods, and dedicated servers.
A lot of things are possible on PCs that just aren't on consoles.

Has nothing to do with the development of technology. You could do these things on PCs 20 years ago and you will never be able to do them on consoles because it would be difficult to implement and more importantly microsoft/sony want total control(the prior wanting more than the latter).

consoles are for a tamed mind. a mind that dosent care how it works only that it does, even if the end result is less than desirable.

I'll take 2 of whatever he is smoking or shooting or popping as bat shit as this statement is, 2 should last me a whole year.

"Our benchmarks on just the video and audio performance are 8-10 times superior to the current gen. (...PC...)"

http://www.develop-online.net/news/44289/EA-Xbox-One-and-PS4-a-generation-ahead-of-PC

That's one hella big claim, but I think someone needs to put the crack pipe down.

He claimed that the publisher’s benchmark tests rated the audio and video performance of the Xbox One at eight-to-ten times higher than the Xbox 360.

Quote the right thing for christ's sake. Goddamn PC master race all up in this bitch.

"Our benchmarks on just the video and audio performance are 8-10 times superior to the current gen. (consoles)"
ftfy

If you're going to fill in something not said, at least make it sensible from the context. In the paragraph he's talking about new generation of consoles, and only made a comparison to the architecture of PCs.

I posted the link to the entire article Rajat Taneja wrote for linkedin a couple of posts above.

They should just call console gaming couch gaming. A PC is how good you want to make it. You can start out cheap and add on to it. With a console you can't upgrade it. You're stuck with what you get.

Just PR BS playing on the consumer that doesn't know jack about PC and believe its true.

wouldn't mind having the total system throughput that the PS4 has as its using GDDR5 for all system tasks, which correct me if I'm wrong is a bit faster than DDR3

Sounds like a stupid sales ploy to get PC gamers interested and typical of EA. Sorry but I'm not buying it.

are consoles even in competition with pcs? sure there are cross platform titles, but for the majority of people you're either a pc gamer or console gamer, rarely do people decide that the massive cost increase is worth going to the PC, if anything consoles are more in competition with their rival consoles

why the fuck would EA care which platform you buy their game on?

Rajat Taneja last job:

Much_about_apu_nothing.jpg

So EA hired him.

God, even if EA was right: surely they would have to admit that in literally no time at all, PC's would catch up and surpass consoles, and then continue to distance themselves for years to come. So why even put yourself out there like that. But then again, they weren't right, so they're truly idiots.

wouldn't mind having the total system throughput that the PS4 has as its using GDDR5 for all system tasks, which correct me if I'm wrong is a bit faster than DDR3

Todays computers don't even use all the bandwith that ddr3 offers. Which I think is around 40GB/sec or so. GDDR5 would be total overkill for system ram in a PC.

I find myself liking what someone from Epic games has to say, I don't know how to feel.

More money selling console games.
Well, no. They do greater volume on consoles, but per-unit margins on equivalently-priced SKUs are greater on the PC — you don't have to kick back to Microsoft to publish a Windows game. This assumes equal material, distribution and post-sale support costs, which we could expect to be marginally higher with PC SKUs vs. console SKUs in many cases.

how many bits do the new consoles have anyway?
At least fifty.

Sure the architecture might be there for consoles, the interconnects and what not between the components of the hardware. However, Isn't the real story here (and the same one it has been for years when this argument comes up time and time again) more about how terrible the direct X layer/api on PCs is in terms of draw calls vs the more direct to metal abilities of consoles?

If so this is old news and should really be clarified.

Well sony talked him (AKA shoved some green and perks because they was doing the tech demo) "into saying the PC is like the most perfect game Pc ever" or some non sense.

And everybody at epic and it's other studios even the receptionist knows he would only say that if he was bought off or doing it to be nice and suck up to the console guys and laughed it off.

But that is business ans there is some truth to it if the other PC's did not exist and the pc came out like 6 years ago it would be a perfect PC so it is a comment being nice to the ps4 without saying too much truth.

this is what he really thinks in his off time him and his buds at th office they think long and hard in grassy area in the middle of nowhere.

cliffyb-rabbit2a.jpg

are consoles even in competition with pcs? sure there are cross platform titles, but for the majority of people you're either a pc gamer or console gamer, rarely do people decide that the massive cost increase is worth going to the PC, if anything consoles are more in competition with their rival consoles
That all really depends. If your going to college then you have to have a PC. The extra cost to make sure it can play games is minor, compared to buying a whole console.

Also, PC's technically don't cost more then console. You have to pay more upfront on PC, but you save money in the long run. Where as a console you pay less upfront, but more in the long run. In this day in age, a decent gaming PC will run you $500, but a Xbox 360 will run you $200 to $250? But the PC has a plethora of free games to play, and a bunch of games that cost next to nothing. On the Xbox 360, games are $60 unless you buy used or a really bad game.

Keep in mind that PC doubles as a productivity machine. Hence why college students love Steam.
why the fuck would EA care which platform you buy their game on?
Cause on PC, EA doesn't have to pay Microsoft 30% per sale.

Back