Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Edition

Domingo

Fully [H]
I figure I might as well make a separate thread for this.

After playing for a few days I'd say that it's so far so good. Granted, it IS just the WiiU version of the game with all of the DLC on the surface, Nintendo made some tweaks.

First and foremost, they added classic Battle Mode options, which is a welcome addition. BM is a little random, but it's still a ton of fun if you aren't dead set on winning.

Racing mode is pretty similar, although it's now 1080p/60 and it's smoother than ever. They added the option to carry 2 powerups at a time. While that's a recipe for chaos in the middle of the pack, it's nice to be able to better defend yourself in the front or to rally in the back. I've noticed an interesting caveat, though. When you're in first you never get mushrooms. Ever. I find that a little disappointing because most of the shortcuts in the game actually require mushrooms to use. You also don't really have a good way to get away from the craziness in the middle of the pack either. This penalizes the leader and often leads to even more last-second passes...which kinda sucks if you're the better player. It's infuriating to do everything absolutely perfectly and still lose with no option to do anything about it. It does seem to dish out more of the blue-shell killing horns, which is welcome.

While all of the DLC characters and courses are unlocked by default, the vehicles and parts aren't. Meaning you're going to have to collect something like 4000 coins to get Tanooki Mario's Jeep and Link's bike again. The rewards are 100% random, so it could be less or more depending on your luck and what you want. I kinda wish they unlocked all of that stuff by default, but it's a minor gripe. Apparently if you can clear all of 200CC you unlock a Gold version of Mario. Thus far I've cleared all of 50 and 100 with 3-stars (it's pretty easy to do) and there's a big jump up when you hit 150 and 200. 200 is borderline too fast and you have to use the brakes quite a bit.

Speaking of brakes, there's even an option for the game to control the gas pedal for you automatically. With 200CC requiring so much precision on the brakes, that might actually be wise just so you aren't overwhelmed. There's also an "auto steer" function which isn't as bad as it sounds. It's normal 95% of the time, but it won't let you steer off the course or into certain objects. The weird thing is that it's on by default. I didn't even notice it until I read something about it. For a while I was actually thinking that my controller was low on power or something :p

Local multiplayer is great. In particular the 2-player split screen looks particularly good and the game doesn't seem to drop FPS either. I haven't tried 3 or 4, but at least 2 is working wonderfully.

Online play is the same, though. You still have no options to easily pair with friends, choose what you want to play, communicate, etc. In 2017 this is extremely weak. Especially for a repackaged game from 2-3 years ago.

As a fan of the series, I think it's fantastic, but I do hate how random some things tend to be. Winning consistently is tougher than ever and being between 3rd and 5th means that you're getting bombarded by hits constantly. It crosses the line from funny to infuriating pretty regularly because there's literally nothing you can do. Online modes are also incredibly weak even if it generally plays pretty smoothly. Any hope I had for Nintendo finally adopting what MS and Sony have done well (for a decade) is kinda dead.

Domingo, remember that the paid online services haven't rolled out yet which can easily be patched into the game at a later time.

I'm still on Wii U while this beta testing phase of sorts pushes through, but will be getting a Switch for sure around ARMS launch time-frame (whenever that is).

As Domingo said, it really is glorious looking and they have tweaked the formula for the better in most all cases except for turning on the auto-steering by default.

200cc IS fast as hell, but gratifying to master. I personally am still learning to brake mid drift, but on most courses if you get the drift initiated earlier, you can handle most corners flat out in 200cc mode. This game feeds my love of Nintendo IP and love of racing games by truly rewarding the driver with the depth of technique you can learn. Battle mode is fixed and will probably become the dominate online play mode.

Should be interesting to see where the game is in 6-8 months. The WiiU version was really, really popular for about 2 months and then I think a lot of people moved on. The 2 DLC's brought people back temporarily, but it didn't last. If they do happen to patch in a more robust online mode (once the paid network service begins) that could definitely make a big difference.

I need to put in some more time with battle mode. Even in the SNES and N64 days, that was always something my friends and I would cap the night off with. It was never our main focus, but more of a fun distraction.

As I play a bit more on the higher speeds, I have to say that the CPU isn't as dirty/ruthless as it was in the WiiU version. In normal MK8 it felt like there was a constant conspiracy to assault you with blue and red shells. MK7, too for that matter. Getting 3 stars was 90% luck. With this one I'm finding that I'm able to do it on the first or second try. The racing AI seems better, but I no longer feel like I'm being bombarded by BS attacks. I'm not sure if it's the 2nd item box offering additional protection or if the item randomizer weighs things different or what. Either way, the game is a hell of a lot more fun when you aren't constantly going from first to 5th in the blink of an eye.

Can someone explain how the drifting mechanic works? I remember in Mario Kart 64 you had to rock the analog stick back and forth while drifting to charge it up. At least that's how I remember it. I could be wrong...
But in MK8 it seems like it charges up without having to rock back and forth?

Can someone explain how the drifting mechanic works? I remember in Mario Kart 64 you had to rock the analog stick back and forth while drifting to charge it up. At least that's how I remember it. I could be wrong...
But in MK8 it seems like it charges up without having to rock back and forth?

Correct. In MK Wii, MK7, and MK8 it starts the drift turbo based upon your angle and how long you hold it. It starts off with blue sparks (a quick/short boost), then it goes to gold (longer, further) if you hold your slide a while. It'll eventually turn purple which is the longest and best boost. Rocking the stick back and forth can help you stay straight, but it doesn't make the turbo activate any faster. You just have to hold your slide and watch for sparks.
Back in MK64 (and in DS and to a lesser extent Double-Dash) you would rock the stick back and forth to trigger it. Once you got good at it, you could chain a series of slides together really quickly to leave everyone else in the dust. They called it "snaking" when people would go from left to right from turbo slide to slide. Nintendo removed it so that chaining slides wasn't the focus of the game. I personally miss it. It was the only real tool you had when everyone behind you was blasting away with shells and all you got was a banana peel or mushroom.

The game is fantastic but getting the COINS knocked out of you with a red or blue shell when you are doing well just feels cheap as hell. I mean, shouldn't skill be rewarded? There should be some way to dodge a red or blue shell.

There is, hold a banana behind u for a red shell, or time a green shell shot....

Boombox takes out the blueshell

I've never been a huge fan of the coins mechanic. It feels like a waste of a powerup and the ones scattered on the course are rarely placed in the locations you'd ideally be taking. I like letting your vehicle decisions manage your speed.

As far as defending yourself, you should hold shells and bananas behind you you block most shell attacks. Blue shells can be snuffed out by the horn, although the game doesn't exactly give those out very often. It's actually extremely powerful (it hurts other racers and snuffs out pretty much anything) but it requires really good timing to use for anything outside of knocking down blue shells.

You can hold items behind you just by holding either of the L bumper buttons. When you release the button, you'll drop or fire the item.

The gray areas arise when you end up falling into 2nd or 3rd place (for whatever reason) and you get slammed by a wave of shells from 4th-12th place. Things can go from great to horrible in a hurry and there's not much you can do about it in a lot of cases. It's one of the reasons I wish they'd go back to 8 racers and no 3-item shields in all modes. Cut down on the pure BS/luck factor.

The randomness of this game has always kept me from liking it more than I do. Would like to pick this up at some point but not for $48+ (via Amazon).

Randomness isn't as bad as previous versions (especially Wii and the original version of 8) but it's still definitely there. You mainly realize it once you fall below 3rd place and start getting bombarded with volleys of shells, lightning, and bombs designed to help 4th-12th catch up.

I just wish Mario Kart took a bit from Sonic Team Racing in making things avoidable/blockable with skill. I love Sonic because it removes the "cheapness" of the RNG in Mario Kart.

Played this at the office today (someone brought in a Switch)...seems decent, still a huge level of random BS that sends you from 1st to 8th on a regular basis. Tons of content, though.

I've managed to win all all of the cups from 50-150 CC with all gold stars, but a few are definitely worse than others. Any of the ones where 4th-10th are packed in, look out. Those are the races where you get hit once and suddenly the hits keep on coming with no recourse.
I refuse to play Mirror. Never liked that option in any of the other games either. Blecch.
200 CC interesting. It's so fast that there's actually a totally different balance to the game. Karts that can off-road well are actually incredibly strong because things are so fast. You can take shortcuts through the roughs without even using mushrooms if you're at top speed. Staying safe is often more important than boosting constantly. Power-slides are a detriment in a lot of spots because they'll boost you right into a wall or off the course. I can't tell if this mode is a total mess or if it's wonderful. It IS a welcome addition, though.

In terms of power up balance, I wish they'd give out the horn more often. That would eliminate the blue shell nonsense and it can even be used offensively if you're close. The shields have already been nerfed a lot compared to the old days.
I think I'd probably also like to see mushrooms and bombs show up for the person in 1st, too. As of right now you mainly get coins with the occasional shell or banana. Maybe 1-2 times per cup you'll get a horn, but that's it. No other powerups can be had in first, which is lame IMO. I'm not asking for lightning or stars, but I don't think the occasional bomb or mushroom would affect much. Hell, when you're in 7th the bomb isn't what you want/need anyway. It's only good for specific bottlenecks and it's hard to be accurate throwing it forward. Might as well give it to someone who wants it.

Last edited:
Played this at the office today (someone brought in a Switch)...seems decent, still a huge level of random BS that sends you from 1st to 8th on a regular basis. Tons of content, though.

I so want to play this game.. my last Nintendo console is wii though. maybe once I get my salt tank up, ill look into getting a switch

I'd love to brag about being better than everyone at Mario Kart...but it's Mario Kart. Vs. anyone who is competent about the best you can hope for is a 70% win rate :p

I just started playing this against my niece and nephews and I'm getting owned pretty hard. Does it matter what kart / tire / character you choose ?

I just started playing this against my niece and nephews and I'm getting owned pretty hard. Does it matter what kart / tire / character you choose ?

Not really. Some parts are faster but handle poorly and vice versa, but it's more about what you feel comfortable using. It's possible to build a vehicle that it's harder to win with, but as long as you can drive it well you'll be fine.

Not really. Some parts are faster but handle poorly and vice versa, but it's more about what you feel comfortable using. It's possible to build a vehicle that it's harder to win with, but as long as you can drive it well you'll be fine.

WRONG. It does matter, especially in battle mode, where your weight class can make all the difference on whether or not you take damage in certain collisions.

I did end up picking this up awhile back...really I only end up playing it with other people, the game as an SP experience doesn't really appeal to me that much.

WRONG. It does matter, especially in battle mode, where your weight class can make all the difference on whether or not you take damage in certain collisions.

That's battle mode. Nobody worth their salt plays Mario Kart for battle mode. At least not seriously. That's taking a game that's 30% luck and doubling it.

That's battle mode. Nobody worth their salt plays Mario Kart for battle mode. At least not seriously. That's taking a game that's 30% luck and doubling it.

Arguably Mario Kart's racing is less skill based than its battle mode because in races they give players that aren't doing as well significantly better items than the players who are winning. Where as in battle mode every participating player has an equally fair chance at obtaining the most powerful items. But im not worth my salt so nothing I say matters apparently.

There's a reason they don't play Battle Mode in tournaments. It's pure chaos. It's amusing, but it's a total crapshoot. It's akin to playing Smash with items enabled and 4 players. It's fun, but it's not serious.
While Nintendo has done their best to patch out things like Snaking, Fire Hopping, Long Turbos, etc. people have managed to consistently win race mode tournaments with a wide variety of characters and vehicles. The days of Dry Bones/Dry Bomber hammering everyone are over.
The exception would be time trials...which some people DO care about even if they don't matter in tournament play. Some vehicles simply have a higher top speed and more opportunities for slide turbos. They might not be viable in competition, but they can dominate time trials if you run a perfect race.

Back