Mario Kart 8 - Amazon Sell Out

Yeah, essentially the number of starts you get relates to your overall score.
Each cup offers you up to 60 points. A maximum of 15 points per race for 4 races. You get 15 points per race if you get first, 12 for second, 10 for 3rd, and all the way down to 1 for 12th.
You get 3 stars for 60 points, 2 for 57, and 1 for 54 or 55.
They don't seem to affect as much as they did in previous games. I think there's an unlock if you get 3 stars on every cup, but otherwise it seems like 1 star in each cup will get you most everything.

1st place in all 4 races gives you 3 gold stars.

Yeah, essentially the number of starts you get relates to your overall score.
Each cup offers you up to 60 points. A maximum of 15 points per race for 4 races. You get 15 points per race if you get first, 12 for second, 10 for 3rd, and all the way down to 1 for 12th.
You get 3 stars for 60 points, 2 for 57, and 1 for 54 or 55.
They don't seem to affect as much as they did in previous games. I think there's an unlock if you get 3 stars on every cup, but otherwise it seems like 1 star in each cup will get you most everything.

thank you much.

Anyone have any favorite kart setups? I was using Waluigi, the sport bike and white off road tires with the cloud glider.

I still hate the bikes...irrationally so. Probably because they were so lame in MK Wii and because everyone did (and still does) use them.
I like using Toad in the Prancer with Blue Standard Tires and the Cloud Glider.
For bigger characters I use either Wario or Bowser and just go with standard everything.
Apparently I didn't get the memo, but seemingly everyone is Rosalina on the Comet Bike. There have been some races where literally 2/3 of the racers are that same setup.

Apparently there's a way to do a turbo slide and then jump to keep it going extra long. I need to investigate more, but it's apparently really handy if you have a lead or the track has a lot of straightaways.

Last edited:
Apparently I didn't get the memo, but seemingly everyone is Rosalina on the Comet Bike. There have been some races where literally 2/3 of the racers are that same setup.

Apparently there's a way to do a turbo slide and then jump to keep it going extra long. I need to investigate more, but it's apparently really handy if you have a lead or the track has a lot of straightaways.
LOL. After having played a bit, I figured I needed to go to the net to search for the optimal winning combination, I guess it's Rosalina and the Comet bike.

I need to work on getting more aggressive. Sometimes I swear that the computer is screwing with me because I'll get hut numerous times in a row by different opponents as if I'm being specifically targeted. I can only imagine that it's brutal against other human players kinda like Sonic & All-stars Racing Transformed.

I have no idea if Rosalina/Comet is actually any better than other combos, but everyone seems to be going with it. For all I know it's just easier. In my brief experiences with the bikes, several of them can turn on a dime without power sliding, so it's akin to the "automatic" transmission from MK Wii.
Personally, I hate the bikes and I don't really like her as a character, so I'm not interested either way.

The targeting thing seems to affect me, too. I get hit once and then I get dogpiled by a series of shells, boomerangs, and other stuff rapid fire. It's really easy to go from 3rd to 12th in a hurry. With the CPU, I find that looking behind you helps. It's almost like the CPU won't go after you if you watch them. However online it tends to just be a mess of players firing off whatever they just got at the nearest person. If you're in front of them - that's you.

I use Metal Mario, Standard Cart, the Purple "Cyber" wheels, and the little puffy cloud chute. Seems to work pretty well. I've nearly completed all of the 150CC courses with gold, and various degrees of stars. (all 3 star up through 100CC) It seems to be a balanced setup. I've tried the bikes a bit, and while they're kind of fun, I don't do as well with them. I also refuse to use any of the weird carts like the bear, the horse carriage thing, etc. :D

Check out the time trial ghosts, its all about the heavies in the high speed karts w/slicks. My Fave is Wario/circut special/cyber slicks. Have gotten on the leader boards a few times :D

IMO, the setups you use in time trial vs. online are different. Heavy characters in a vehicle with a high top speed are great when you can pick and choose your angles and you aren't getting hit or having to worry about speeding up after getting drilled by 3 red shells in a row. In a perfect world, they can dominate online with some luck, too. The issue tends to be when they do get hit it's hard to keep get them up to speed. With the game giving most players past 5th attack weapons that becomes a real problem.
Having acceleration is borderline essential online.

[T5K]thrasher;1040907140 said:
Check out the time trial ghosts, its all about the heavies in the high speed karts w/slicks. My Fave is Wario/circut special/cyber slicks. Have gotten on the leader boards a few times :D

I only tried one, I used the same Kart as the Nintendo employee record holder, man I suck. Always about 3 seconds total behind.

I have no idea if Rosalina/Comet is actually any better than other combos, but everyone seems to be going with it. For all I know it's just easier. In my brief experiences with the bikes, several of them can turn on a dime without power sliding, so it's akin to the "automatic" transmission from MK Wii.
Personally, I hate the bikes and I don't really like her as a character, so I'm not interested either way.

The targeting thing seems to affect me, too. I get hit once and then I get dogpiled by a series of shells, boomerangs, and other stuff rapid fire. It's really easy to go from 3rd to 12th in a hurry. With the CPU, I find that looking behind you helps. It's almost like the CPU won't go after you if you watch them. However online it tends to just be a mess of players firing off whatever they just got at the nearest person. If you're in front of them - that's you.

LOL. After having played a bit, I figured I needed to go to the net to search for the optimal winning combination, I guess it's Rosalina and the Comet bike.

I need to work on getting more aggressive. Sometimes I swear that the computer is screwing with me because I'll get hut numerous times in a row by different opponents as if I'm being specifically targeted. I can only imagine that it's brutal against other human players kinda like Sonic & All-stars Racing Transformed.

Totally agree, brings the rage back from SNES days, I can hold first for all 3 laps until the final turn and get taken out by not one but multiple shells. Really makes me feel alive lol

I have awful luck and always seem to pull coins and bananas instead of red shells or the 3x mushroom item pick up.

Any tips on getting the boost at the race start? I've gotten it a couple times by accident and can't seem to replicate the timing. Also, is there anyway to defend against a blue shell?

Any tips on getting the boost at the race start? I've gotten it a couple times by accident and can't seem to replicate the timing. Also, is there anyway to defend against a blue shell?

When you think the number 2 is gonna show up, press GO. So like, split second before its on the screen.
The horn thingy can break blue shells.

When you think the number 2 is gonna show up, press GO. So like, split second before its on the screen.
The horn thingy can break blue shells.

Eh in my opinion doing it that soon results in burnout most the time. For me it seems most consistent to press go as soon as the 2 appears.

I press go a split second after the second light. I can't be entirely sure, but the length the turbo lasts seems dependent on how soon after light-2 you press. You can still get the turbo all the way up to the end of the second light(ish) but it seems shorter. Hitting right on the light has occasionally resulted in burnouts for me, so I go a split second after.

Eh in my opinion doing it that soon results in burnout most the time. For me it seems most consistent to press go as soon as the 2 appears.

Compensation for the button press.
Since he keeps missing it, hes probably doing it too late.

One thing about the older games (especially N64) that is sometimes overlooked is that the CPU couldn't shell you. If you were playing against another person, you could use the CPU as a shield and a dsitraction. I think that's one reason that game typically allowed the better player to win...well, that and being able to chain slide boosts.
At the same time, depending on how filthy you wanted to play, you could camp with a red shield or lightning and totally screw people over colossally, too.

Totally agree, brings the rage back from SNES days, I can hold first for all 3 laps until the final turn and get taken out by not one but multiple shells. Really makes me feel alive lol

This is usually right when I start swearing up a storm, and my wife asks me if maybe I should take a break and play something else. :D (to which I reply, "No these bastards cheat!" (even though it's not exactly true)) and go another round.

After playing a little with the bikes (I wanted to give them a fair chance), I really like using Wario with the Flame Rider & Off Road tires. It does a good job of keeping you with a high top speed with excellent cornering and passable acceleration. It also keeps going at high speeds when you're using mushrooms in rough terrain.
Plus, like the other bikes, it seems to let you bully the karts around for some reason.
I've had good results using it both online and offline.

cant get into it, I need onscreen map to show drivers positions which lets me know whats going on in the race.

snes remains best version for me.

The First DLC
Free download on 8/27/2014

Mercedes Benz partnership, 3 cars. 200 SL, GLA, W25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDaCFD32Uhs

Additional "features" (this is not the patch that fixes battle mode):
Records screen with total coins listed
Online win/loss record
Default menu selection after GP race set to 'Next race'
Last used kart configuration is saved
Edit other peoples highlights
ADDING MAP TO TV SCREEN (OMG YES)

iztIrZImpYwC3.gif

Once they fix battle mode I will officially love this game. I really liked the different types of battles in the last couple of mario kart games and playing battle mode on tracks is abysmal. These are all definitely needed fixes but come on already fix battle mode!

Glad to see them continuing to support the game. Not sure how the win-loss record will work considering you can finish between 1st and 12th. What's a win and what's a loss?

played it for 30 mins, couldnt get into like super mario kart, the snes version I immediately loved, this just doesnt have that same feeling. I feel tracks and game now too complex it lacks the same simplicity, no on screen map showing drivers positions like on snes (looking down to controller doesnt cut it) and I tried the online mode but all the tournaments I tried had no players and when I tried just normal racing it kept disconnecting after one race.

I don't get the desire for this. I just always presume there are people right behind me ready to F me in the A (no lube) :)

So you can play without the gamepad and still see where everyone is?
Tons of people asked for this, I can't believe Nintendo picked up on it and actually patched it in.
Now for battle mode.....

So you can play without the gamepad and still see where everyone is?
Tons of people asked for this, I can't believe Nintendo picked up on it and actually patched it in.
Now for battle mode.....

check my post above, answer is no.

Ok I see now the guy is saying they will add it for people who buy the DLC. Funny, but better than ignoring everyone.

Ok I see now the guy is saying they will add it for people who buy the DLC. Funny, but better than ignoring everyone.

The on screen map is part of an update that is releasing at the same time as the dlc. Its going to everyone, not just people who buy the dlc (which appears to be free anyway, as far as I can tell).

There are even some patch notes about fixing online stability. Might fix all of your problems in one patch!

I've honestly had really good experiences online. The game itself is full of shenanigans, but I've never had any issues with lag, disconnects, etc.
My online and offline experiences have been almost the same...with the exception of getting absolutely drilled once I fall below 3rd place. While the CPU tends to hold items or attack specific targets, online players tend to get their item ASAP and unload it at the first thing they see :p

Online has been great for me so far. Haven't had any disconnects or trouble so far. I have played maybe 2 hours online so far and always with 2 people on the same system and I must say it is working extremely well for me.

That wasn't a question, it was a reply to someone else. Who are you talking to?

And this is free. They should call it a patch, really...

Holy crap what the hell is this

ioIr7jZuZA7mW.png

ib69sCbI2TlU2.png

iNxLSES714CRC.png
ibo8NsfMeb54Sz.png

Starting on August 27, you'll be able to advance purchase Pack 1, Pack 2, or the Pack 1 + Pack 2 Bundle either through the Shop section* in Mario Kart 8 (as shown) or Nintendo eShop.

Those who advance purchase both packs can begin using the Yoshi and Shy Guy characters immediately

You will be able to download DLC when it becomes available. Pack 1 will be available in November 2014, and Pack 2 will be available in May of 2015

You can cancel your advance purchase by contacting Nintendo Customer Service before the first DLC pack is released.

http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/dlc/

Wow.

16 new tracks, 8 vehicles, and 6 characters for$11.99? Nintendo knows how to do DLC!

Yar, that's some good value right there. I wonder if this DLC is popular enough it will cause Nintendo to take a more 'Smash Bros-esque' approach to their future Mario Kart character rosters. 'Nintendo Kart' would be a pretty cool game.

Uhhhhhhh *logs into computer at home puts a reminder note on his desktop in a text file to get this*.

Works for me - I'm in. I'm still holding out hope for more actual Mario characters, though. We at least need Birdo and Funky Kong back. For that matter...why not have Captain Falcon make a crossover appearance?

$12 aint bad AT ALL.

I will be buying both! Now I just need stuff to sell on my thread.

Back