Mario Kart 8 - Amazon Sell Out

I'm loving it. Online works wonderfully. It seems like you can't quick select items (by hitting the item button early) but it's otherwise just like playing locally.
I've managed to clear out 50cc and 100cc with 3 stars on every track. I've dabbled with 150 and it's not too much tougher. The CPU certainly doesn't seem as deadset on screwing you as it was in MKW and MK7. Like MK64, if you can get out front, most of the chaos occurs around 4th or 5th place.

Anyone know how to clear your highlights? I mistakenly filled up all of my 6 in the first 6 races I played. Now I can't seem to get rid of them.

Picked this up today and it's amazing. The fact that buying this game gets you a free eshop download of pikman, mario, wiiu party or zelda makes this a must have for any wiiu owner. Setting up the projector outside tomorrow night for a mario kart party lol.

Grab it in the eShop. All you need is the serial number that will be in your receipt for the download. You put that in on the Club Nintendo site, (assuming you've linked the Club Nintendo account to your eShop account,) and you're done. About an hour later you should have your download code for Pikmin. The biggest problem I had was forgetting and having to reset my password. :D

Yeah, saw a deal for MK8 + 40% off of Super Mario 3D World + the free game promotion for a total of about $96, would like to find a deal on just MK8 + the free game promotion though. Also prefer owning physical copies for console games since they can later be sold.

I just got done with a 9 hour Mario Kart marathon....I haven't done that with a game in years! This game right here is why I'm happy I chose a Wii U to compliment my PC instead of a PS4 or XBox One.

I played it last night. Unfortunately, I don’t own it and don’t have much time.

Me and my brother cleared all 50cc with gold before I left. Seems too easy and slow so far but hopefully that’s just 50cc. More three star rankings would’ve been gotten if we both didn’t try to hit each other all the time, but it was so gratifying.

My biggest complaint is the Pro controller which I just bought. The four button layout doesn’t feel right. I feel like I have to stretch my right thumb a bit. Why the hell did they pick ‘A’ to accelerate? I keep pressing ‘X’ to try to brake which does something else completely. You can’t change controls either. A few bikes drove me insane: the Yoshi bike and sport bike last night. I found out this morning these two bikes along with the comet and jet bike have really tight inward drift, and I just kept hitting corners and falling off with them making me rage. I use Bowser usually and these bikes just turn too sharp.

Edit: What were they thinking when they fucked up battle mode?

Last edited:
I played a good few hours. Tried out online this morning. Online racing is very good and didn't have any issues with it. I played battle mode and its really dumb. I will never play it again.

Like MK64, if you can get out front, most of the chaos occurs around 4th or 5th place.

In my experience the chaos is 2nd to 4th place and maybe 5th. After you get hit here. Then, shortly after accelerating if you get a chance you get hit again. Then, you get hit again and maybe again. At this point I’m like WTF and in something like 8th to 10th place. It’s like the AI are all saving their items for me. This has happened a bit too many times to be considered random. Once in first, I feel more safe.

What happened here?
Whats wrong with it? (I haven't picked up the game yet)

Instead of using dedicated battle tracks, the mode is now done on the regular race tracks. It's by far the worst part of the game and really shouldn't be there in it's current state.

Yea I'm really hoping they fix the battle mode back to dedicated tacks like it use to be. I don't know why they thought that way it is now was a good idea.

Was going to start a thread but I'll just ask here. I'm not really crazy about any of the free Wii U games offered with registering MK8. Once I get the code could I trade it with someone for, say, a Steam game? Or is the code linked to your Nintendo account?

They would register the little insert from the game on Club Nintendo, effectively making the code (and free game) theirs and the physical Mario Kart game yours. You could easily trade it I'd imagine.

Although.....Mario Kart owner that doesn't want NSMBU or WWHD? :confused:

Played six multiplayer Cups last night on 50cc. I think 50cc is too slow however it wasn't my Wii U... Lots of fun though.

Battle Mode is fucked, I can't fathom why they didn't make a few simple tracks for people to battle on.

Also it sucks you can't use the d pad on the Wiimotes to steer. We ended up with one person on a Gamepad, one on a Pro Controller, and one using a Wiimote + Nunchuck to steer. We wanted to just use three Wiimotes and no motion controls. I have no idea who over 10 years old wants to tilt steer to turn.

Both my wife and brothers girlfriend prefer using the motion wii-mote steering. My wife does really well with it (she's won the majority of races we've played together so far).. I can't see how :eek:

The free game codes aren't tied to the club Nintendo account, (I traded my physical copy of NSMBU for my brothers DL code so I could use mine on Pickmin3)

Edit: 50cc is really slow compared to 100/150cc. The AI gets pretty tough in 150cc too.

Can someone tell me what the star selection up too six does before a race? I enjoyed battle mode more tge racing online the tracks are just too big, love.the game though

Can someone tell me what the star selection up too six does before a race?

I've been wondering about that too. I've got 2 in it now I think. I keep forgetting to put them in before each race.

EDIT, from Gamefaqs:

They are for marking your favorite races/highlights. When you go to Mario Kart TV in the main menu, it has recent races posted from you and your favorites are marked with a star. I guess just to find them easier in the jumbled mess of races there.

I wish you could change the controls. Holding down A hurts my hand after a bit.

Last edited:
One of my favorite GIFs to come out of this game:
NextCaringKinglet.gif

Dat stare. :D

(From Reddit)

In my experience the chaos is 2nd to 4th place and maybe 5th. After you get hit here. Then, shortly after accelerating if you get a chance you get hit again. Then, you get hit again and maybe again. At this point I’m like WTF and in something like 8th to 10th place. It’s like the AI are all saving their items for me. This has happened a bit too many times to be considered random. Once in first, I feel more safe.

More and more I'm seeing that unless you're out in front, you WILL get mauled. In crowded games with 12-15 people it's really easy to go from 3rd to 12th in a matter of seconds. I'm not seeing it so much with the CPU, but online is unforgiving if the other players know what they're doing.

Anyone else getting tired of playing 15 Rosalinas on motorcycles? I have no idea if there's a memo and she's the best character choice or something, but I swear that everyone seems to be this same combo. I can count the Donkey Kongs and Bowsers on one hand.

I wish you could change the controls. Holding down A hurts my hand after a bit.

You can accel/brake with the right analog stick too.
I've forgone the A button long ago. Much more comfortable.
I also switch from RT analog and A button, when switching from Analog steering and the D pad.
It's easier to make boosts with the D pad. I drive with both and switch on the fly.

I've played a few hours of this game so far and am in love. I played Mario kart 7 all this week to get ready and while that game is incredible there is nothing quite like playing mario kart on a big screen in HD.

It is tough to really put a finger on it but i feel like Mariokart 8 has the "it" factor that everyone absolutely loved about the n64 version. Battle mode isn't even all that bad; in fact I always wanted larger arenas. I can imagine the larger arenas really suck with local multiplayer but online with a ton of other people it's not that bad at all. Hopefully they have the option in the future for a few of the smaller arenas; although they will probably have to be modified for the larger amount of players allowed.

Will I unlock the tracks by playing online or am i limited to just playing single player to unlock the other tracks in Grand Prix mode?

I'd really like DLC maps. Hopefully we can download old battle maps.

With unlocks, it seems like those all come from getting gold cups and collecting coins. The gold cups are from single player mode, while you get credit for coins collected in any mode.

Not sure if it was Nintendo intent, but it's REALLY hard to be consistent in multiplayer online mode. One race you're in 1st or second, the next you're in 12th. Even with the people with massive scores, it seems like they got that way via attrition and ending up with a group of rookies more than just being better than other players. I can beat up on the CPU, but even they can be problematic if you ever fall back beyond 3rd place. With no way to power slide turbo on command, it's a bit of a crap shoot. That said, it's still a total blast.

With unlocks, it seems like those all come from getting gold cups and collecting coins. The gold cups are from single player mode, while you get credit for coins collected in any mode.

Not sure if it was Nintendo intent, but it's REALLY hard to be consistent in multiplayer online mode. One race you're in 1st or second, the next you're in 12th. Even with the people with massive scores, it seems like they got that way via attrition and ending up with a group of rookies more than just being better than other players. I can beat up on the CPU, but even they can be problematic if you ever fall back beyond 3rd place. With no way to power slide turbo on command, it's a bit of a crap shoot. That said, it's still a total blast.

In some ways, that makes the races exciting and unpredictable. My only problem is that if someone gets in 1st early on, it's most likely they're going to blast ahead of the pack because everyone else is destroying each other with items. I just keep coming back for more though....

In some ways, that makes the races exciting and unpredictable. My only problem is that if someone gets in 1st early on, it's most likely they're going to blast ahead of the pack because everyone else is destroying each other with items. I just keep coming back for more though....

Ditto. The "best" players I've seen are mostly using characters that take off quickly and they know the best routes to create safe distance. A fair number aren't even using slides, but are using the super fast bikes you just steer. If they do get hit, having someone with high acceleration seems to really help.
Something I can't seem to get used to is having small characters be able to slam into bigger characters without getting tossled around. I play the heaviest character in a kart that's one of the heaviest in the game. Yet I'll have random Koopa kids knocking me around with no mushrooms or anything to assist. Sometimes it even seems to give them a boost. Seems odd. I almost wonder if there's a bug with the physics causing it.

Not sure if it was Nintendo intent, but it's REALLY hard to be consistent in multiplayer online mode. One race you're in 1st or second, the next you're in 12th.

This is sort of the "thing" with Mario Kart. Pretty much anyone can get lucky and pull off a race win on occasion. The ability to win a race or not is often decided in driving clean (and not getting hit) for the first 30 seconds or so. One of the guys I played with last Friday won ~60% of the races on a bike just by getting out in front at the start.

In MK8 it seems harder to catch people who get an early lead. Maybe less Blue Shells in MK8? People out front can just get a few seconds of advantage and just drive around without being in a firing zone.

You get boosts if you crash into other players with the hovering vehicles

Yeah, I'm thinking about just normal driving. It's like they're bouncing off of me (and sending me careening), but instead of going to the side...they seem to actually speed up. It doesn't seem as prevalent with Donkey Kong, but Bowser gets full-on knocked around by the smaller characters. I really think it might be some kind of bug.

More and more I'm seeing that unless you're out in front, you WILL get mauled. In crowded games with 12-15 people it's really easy to go from 3rd to 12th in a matter of seconds. I'm not seeing it so much with the CPU, but online is unforgiving if the other players know what they're doing.

Anyone else getting tired of playing 15 Rosalinas on motorcycles? I have no idea if there's a memo and she's the best character choice or something, but I swear that everyone seems to be this same combo. I can count the Donkey Kongs and Bowsers on one hand.

I think it's a fad or trend. She's not the fastest. Spec-wise, she's exactly identical to the others in the same weight class. What bikes are they using, inside drifters? Skill is more important than stats anyway.

I am thinking of buying a system just for this game. Are there any issues with handling massive number of people (online)?

Last edited:
You mean four on one screen?

Or 12 people online? Both run fine.

I meant online. :p

Thinking of buying refurb and need to find a TV to go with it (if I pull the trigger). Looks like people are pretty happy with refurb.

Wii U System Update 5.0 is up

Quick Start Menu has been added. Start recent games from the gamepad without having to boot completely to WiiU.

Hey Guys,
I love to Play Mario Kart Now I want to Play Mario Kart 8. I got to the Amazon store and discover that it is Sold Out. Now tell me where I buy this game.

Back