Mario Kart 8 - Amazon Sell Out

This might be the first Wii U game I buy

I finally picked up the Wii U and Donkey Kong looks amazing on the system, the game does have its frustrating parts but it is beautiful to look at and fun too play, I saw the Mario Kart trailer on my Wii U a few days ago that looks just as good if not better.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

There was a scene where mario was metal and you heard a choo choo in the back

All I could think of is Thomas the Train, CHOO CHOO MOTHA F*$&ER

to me the only good mario kart game is the first, super mario kart on the snes.

The others seem to have th following issues I dont like.

1 - no map showing where all the drivers are, without this you dont know whats going on, more so meaning it could really mean the other karts arent really doing anything but just been right behind you all the time when needed for fake diffilculty.
2 - Excessive cheating from AI.
3 - Over complicated, the first game was quite simple which made it brilliant, I find all the newer ones over the top with complexity.

Trailer looks downright amazing!!! This is a day one buy for me. My wife and son cannot wait either.

This game really looks great. Mariokart 7 is really a gem, and this one will probably deliver just like the others have.

Nintendo does almost no wrong with mario kart. I really wish they would embrace micro transactions and let us buy tracks from all of the games. I would totally spend a pretty penny for all of the N64 and a few SNES tracks..

1 - no map showing where all the drivers are, without this you dont know whats going on, more so meaning it could really mean the other karts arent really doing anything but just been right behind you all the time when needed for fake diffilculty.
3 - Over complicated, the first game was quite simple which made it brilliant, I find all the newer ones over the top with complexity.

Pretty sure they've all had maps/overlays indicating racers locations.
No comment on possible AI cheating..

The MK's are some of the most accessible games ever, yet have just enough depth to keep them fun.

Watch the IGN video, the wiiu pad clearly has a map showing all the racers positions and everything. Great usage of the pad too.
As for AI cheating, Ive never had issues beating the AI in any mario kart game.
Over complicated? Maybe a little here or there, but no worse than any other racing games.

problem is I dont want to be looking at the pad, I want the positions in the corner on the big screen, I concede its better than not showing at all tho.

is the ign video on youtube? I dont like going to ign etc. to watch videos.

Ooo, I didn't think about the track map on the screen. Looking at the gamepad definitely takes a hair longer to do than to just look at the TV screen. I hope they make that an option.

When I was playing Wind Waker HD I felt like the gamepad screen was a bit distracting at first but I eventually got used to it. It might not be so bad with Mario Kart.

1 -- they all have the map showing whereat he drivers are
2-- not sure what you expect. The AI in no way can rival a human player, so it has to be able to do things human players can't to keep up, otherwise the game would be boring as hell if you're half a lap ahead the whole time.
3 -- I'm not sure what's complicated about MK. In all of them you push a button and go, collect things to hit other drivers with, do a few slide tricks, and take advantage of shortcuts. .

Yar, not quite seeing the 'over complicated' bit, I always found the Mario Kart games to be very inviting and accessible as racing games (even my non-gamer wife gets excited for Mario Kart).

My biggest pet peeve is the use of cheap items (blue shell in particular), though being able to control what item spawns in online multiplayer fixes that quibble.

I'm just hoping that they bring back the manual power slide turbo. That was one of the biggest issues with MK Wii. Because you couldn't slide turbo at will, there's no real way for a good player to do any better than a lousy one. That also led to the bikes being overpowered because they could wheelie turbo at will.

an update on this, if you register mario kart 8 before july 31st, you get a free download game from nintendo

North America Club Nintendo

Pikmin 3
Wii U Party
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
New Super Mario Bros. U

Europe Club Nintendo

Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Sonic Lost World
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Wii Party U

Had this on preorder for a while now.. My son is 4 and loves the one on wii. Has a car he can sit in and use the motion controller in a steering wheel to play the game. I also really enjoy playing it with him we have a lot of fun.. I so can't wait to get it.

I'm not seeing any good pre-order bonuses anywhere so I'm planning on just buying it on the eShop.

Anybody know how the control schemes will work? I'm assuming you can use Wii-motes based upon the steering wheels that come with the console bundle. Will the Pro Controller work? How about using 2 of them for local multiplayer?

an update on this, if you register mario kart 8 before july 31st, you get a free download game from nintendo

Pikmin 3
Wii U Party
New Super Mario Bros. U

Europe Club Nintendo

Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Sonic Lost World
Wii Party U

Thanks man this is interesting, so I buy mario kart for £40, and then get £30 mario U free, albeit a digital copy instead of boxed.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this in this thread or having its own thread.... what do you guys think of the battle system? From what I've read/viewed they absolutely butchered the battle system. I expect the rest of the game to be awesome and I will buy it, but battle was my favorite part of the game. There are no longer battle arenas. It is now just driving around the same tracks hoping you see another driver... The maps are way too large for 4 person battle.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/mario-kart-8/1900-6415760/
http://www.wired.com/2014/05/mario-kart-8-wii-u/
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/15/5673346/mario-kart-8-wii-u-review

I'm surprised I haven't seen this in this thread or having its own thread.... what do you guys think of the battle system? From what I've read/viewed they absolutely butchered the battle system. I expect the rest of the game to be awesome and I will buy it, but battle was my favorite part of the game. There are no longer battle arenas. It is now just driving around the same tracks hoping you see another driver... The maps are way too large for 4 person battle.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/mario-kart-8/1900-6415760/
http://www.wired.com/2014/05/mario-kart-8-wii-u/
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/15/5673346/mario-kart-8-wii-u-review

Can always be added as free dlc later Nintendo doesn't have issues with giving out content like that for free

Pikmin 3
Wii U Party
New Super Mario Bros. U

Europe Club Nintendo

Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Sonic Lost World
Wii Party U

Fucking NOA strikes again. Every time.
Did some one forget to tell them they need to SELL more consoles? I swear....
Honestly, if you already have a WiiU, (Not counting WiiU Party) how many of those 3 free games DON'T you have?

NOA really wants you to get WiiU Party. Fucking bonus my ass. NOA ruined this promotion

Honestly, if you already have a WiiU, (Not counting WiiU Party) how many of those 3 free games DON'T you have?

NOA really wants you to get WiiU Party. Fucking bonus my ass. NOA ruined this promotion

As much as it sucks that we don't get so many choices I kinda get why. Wii U has done TERRIBLE in Europe. They need more incentive to keep buying games for the Wii U frankly. At least in the states it managed to move some units.

But yea still we deserve a crack at those quality titles like anyone else does.

I don't have WW or Pikmin3 yet. Going to trade my physical copy of Mario U for my brothers DL code (use it on mario U) then use my code on WW. Will be almost all digital then :D

I'm sure there will be a flood of Pikmin3/WW/Mario U keys on ebay/forms after release :D

Wonder how hard it would be to setup a EU club account, then.. I wonder if those EU keys would work on NA consoles/network accounts..

I only have Wind Waker from that list. Hadn't got around to picking up NSMBU or Pikman 3 yet. The list isn't as good as the EU one but really ruined? Come on man, that is some serious hyperbole. It is still a damn good promotion. You make a comment about them selling more consoles well if people are buying the console with MK8 then they wouldn't have ANY of those titles would they? This really does seem like a promotion aimed more at new or recent buyers of the console than those that have had one for a while and that is not a bad idea. We've already bought into the system and it's games. Giving people who buy the MK8 bundle or just buy the system and MK8 before the end of July a choice of one of the four biggest titles on the system is a brilliant idea. The EU list has some other damn good titles, but this is by no means a bad list.

[T5K]thrasher;1040840158 said:
I don't have WW or Pikmin3 yet. Going to trade my physical copy of Mario U for my brothers DL code (use it on mario U) then use my code on WW. Will be almost all digital then :D

I'm sure there will be a flood of Pikmin3/WW/Mario U keys on ebay/forms after release :D

Wonder how hard it would be to setup a EU club account, then.. I wonder if those EU keys would work on NA consoles/network accounts..

The Wii U is region locked, even digital titles.

I'm starting to get pretty excited for this. The reviews are good and the new powerups seem to be fun. From what I can tell the game looks to essentially be an upgraded MK7. While not perfect, it was at least one of the better MK games.

I've never bought anything from the Nintendo Store. How does it usually work timing-wise? Do new games show up at midnight on release day or what?

I'm starting to get pretty excited for this. The reviews are good and the new powerups seem to be fun. From what I can tell the game looks to essentially be an upgraded MK7. While not perfect, it was at least one of the better MK games.

I've never bought anything from the Nintendo Store. How does it usually work timing-wise? Do new games show up at midnight on release day or what?

The game is release officially on the online store on Midnight. So you can go to the store, make your order at midnight and be given your code, you would than go to your store on the wii-u, redeem code, download.

I only have Wind Waker from that list. Hadn't got around to picking up NSMBU or Pikman 3 yet. The list isn't as good as the EU one but really ruined? Come on man, that is some serious hyperbole. It is still a damn good promotion. You make a comment about them selling more consoles well if people are buying the console with MK8 then they wouldn't have ANY of those titles would they? This really does seem like a promotion aimed more at new or recent buyers of the console than those that have had one for a while and that is not a bad idea. We've already bought into the system and it's games. Giving people who buy the MK8 bundle or just buy the system and MK8 before the end of July a choice of one of the four biggest titles on the system is a brilliant idea. The EU list has some other damn good titles, but this is by no means a bad list.

Hyperbole?
No, I have all those titles except for WiiU Play.
Its a shit promotion, because only if you stopped buying WiiU games in the last few months, you more than likely already have all those games.

If you haven't noticed Wii U needs all the help it can get in NA as well. NOA has a history of this either not doing promotions at all, or striping most of it. Licensing isn't even a reason to deny the titles as Nintendo is the distributer for those in all territories. If anything licensing would be an issue in the EU, if Sega published Sonic over there (which I dont think they did).

Did you forget what we had to do to get Xenoblade to be released here? Even after that we almost didn't get The Last Story. NOA is full of marketing idiots... that don't know how to market.

Last edited:
Hyperbole?
No, I have all those titles except for WiiU Play.
Its a shit promotion, because only if you stopped buying WiiU games in the last few months, you more than likely already have all those games.

If you haven't noticed Wii U needs all the help it can get in NA as well. NOA has a history of this either not doing promotions at all, or striping most of it. Licensing isn't even a reason to deny the titles as Nintendo is the distributer for those in all territories. If anything licensing would be an issue in the EU, if Sega published Sonic over there (which I dont think they did).

Did you forget what we had to do to get Xenoblade to be released here? Even after that we almost didn't get The Last Story. NOA is full of marketing idiots... that don't know how to market.

I'm not going to disagree that NOA could use an entirely new and intelligent marketing staff, I've been thinking that since the Gamecube launched. That said I still don't think this is a bad promotion. Is the EU one better? Yes, of course but as a selection of titles it's not bad. Like I said, this seems targeted more towards people getting a system with MK8 while the EU promotion is more "Here are our best selling titles and some others that could use more attention". I like the second approach better since it also gives current owns something to look forward to, but if for whatever reason NOA felt they could only do a few titles I think they picked the best ones.

Just put in my preorder a couple of days ago. Hoping release day shipping is reliable!

Now I have to decide if i want Zelda or Pikmin.. These are total first world problems..

I know a LOT of people that treated their Wii as single-game system. Certainly not everyone, but it isn't just some cooked-up theory.

I also know many people that bought a PS3 for BD player and never bought a single game for it .... point?

Selling out doesn't mean much to me, number sold is way more important.

Only 1 of those variables actually affects how easy it is for you to buy it!

I didn't actually know Amazon COULD sell-out of something new. Don't they have like a tunnel connecting directly to the Nintendo warehouse?

Back