Mario Kart 8 - Amazon Sell Out

Doom4life

Limp Gawd
So apparently Mario Kart 8 preorders are now sold out on Amazon. Does this make the first time a preorder game was sold out for the Wii U?

I stopped buying boxed games and plan to get this through the eShop but I'm starting to wonder if the servers will crash on launch day lol.

Edit: March 11, 2014 - Looks like Amazon has more copies available to preorder!

Last edited:
And here I thought the Wii-U died back in November with the release of the Super-Duper Next Generation Grab Your Beer For You Mindblowing Graphics Producing Happiness Seizure Inducing Voice and Jerk Off Responding NSA Spy Tool All In One Centers of Entertainment... ;)

Hopefully their actual game servers can handle it. This is a day-1 for me no matter how I have to go about it.

I'd expect servers to go down. Mario Kart was Nintendo's best seller on N64 and Wii so I expect this will sell between 30-50% of the Wii U install base.

That's crazy that it sold out. I've seen collectors/limited editions of games sell out through preorder but never a regular retail copy.

Selling out doesn't mean much to me, number sold is way more important.

Hopefully their actual game servers can handle it. This is a day-1 for me no matter how I have to go about it.

So another Mario kart with maps taken from N64/ Wii U with some classic NES /SNES map with updated characters,,,

So another Mario kart with maps taken from N64/ Wii U with some classic NES /SNES map with updated characters,,,

That's the case with any/every sequel. How many shooters involve using variations on the same 3-4 guns? How many different games have involved Ryu playing 90% the same way? How many Assassin's Creed games are the same game skinned in a new era?
When you port over older maps to a new engine - the dynamic changes. The MK games are one of the best selling franchises of all time so they're clearly doing something right. The classic maps were introduced because people wanted them.

Wasn't mario kart wii the best selling wii game?

Yup. In spite of rampant cheating, no DLC, and a clunky matchmaking system, the online isn't dead either. Granted everyone seems to have figured out that you can only realistically win using 2-3 different characters/vehicles, though.
I'm actually hoping the new one eventually sees some DLC at some point. Track packs, additional karts, more characters/items, etc.None of that on disk or Day 1 stuff – but truly new content added after a few years the fact. MK games have a long lifespan and it’s not like people wouldn’t be open to it. Hell, this would be a great chance to literally give us ALL of the old tracks and Karts.

Yes*. It was also the best selling N64 game.
*If you don't count wii sports - which came with every console.

Its funny that most Wii owners only played that game and never even bothered purchasing others

this version actually looks to be a pretty significant upgrade over the previous one... I should get it by day 1 from Amazon...

Hopefully it doesn't have the shit battle mode of Mario Kart Wii. I'd like to see a return to the battle modes and map sizes of Double Dash. I'd jump on the next wave of Amazon pre-orders immediately.

Its funny that most Wii owners only played that game and never even bothered purchasing others

That's like saying that most PC owners have only ever played Farmville or most mobile owners only ever played Angry Birds. It's fun to point out and it gets a you nice cheapshot in, but it's grossly unfair to the platform involved.

Every Nintendo console has had it's share of must haves. The Wii has Xenoblade, The Last Story, Nights, No More Heroes, No More Heroes 2, Mad World, Muramasa, Sin and Punishment 2, and a slew of other non-Nintendo made hits that did really well.

The people who actually bought a Wii to play games on it instead of buying a Wii to buy a Wii or tryout the motion controls ended up having a fairly good attach rate, because there was a slew of good stuff to buy. Those are the customers that make or break Nintendo.

Most people I knew who bought a Wii was simply for Wii Sports or Wii Fit. Maybe two family's I knew actually bought it for the array of first party titles.

Based upon 100 Million + consoles and nearly 250 Million Nintendo franchise titles sold for the system (retail sales mind you) and not including Wii Sports.or digital content I'd say most people bought the console to play a Nintendo franchise as you stated

"Xenoblade, The Last Story, Nights, No More Heroes, No More Heroes 2, Mad World, Muramasa, Sin and Punishment 2"

did any of those sell over a million?

That's like saying that most PC owners have only ever played Farmville or most mobile owners only ever played Angry Birds. It's fun to point out and it gets a you nice cheapshot in, but it's grossly unfair to the platform involved.

Every Nintendo console has had it's share of must haves. The Wii has Xenoblade, The Last Story, Nights, No More Heroes, No More Heroes 2, Mad World, Muramasa, Sin and Punishment 2, and a slew of other non-Nintendo made hits that did really well.

The people who actually bought a Wii to play games on it instead of buying a Wii to buy a Wii or tryout the motion controls ended up having a fairly good attach rate, because there was a slew of good stuff to buy. Those are the customers that make or break Nintendo.

It wasnt a cheapshot, it was the actual truth with the Wii. Most people i know only used it for WiiSports or WiiFit to try out the new hardware that nintendo introduced. Very few actually used the Wii to play other games.

I know a LOT of people that treated their Wii as single-game system. Certainly not everyone, but it isn't just some cooked-up theory.

It wasnt a cheapshot, it was the actual truth with the Wii. Most people i know only used it for WiiSports or WiiFit to try out the new hardware that nintendo introduced. Very few actually used the Wii to play other games.

I know a LOT of people that treated their Wii as single-game system. Certainly not everyone, but it isn't just some cooked-up theory.

Funny how these anecdotes support one's bias for or against a particular console.

No one that I know who owns or owned a Wii only used it for one game.

Funny how these anecdotes support one's bias for or against a particular console.

No one that I know who owns or owned a Wii only used it for one game.

I'm with you on this one.

My parents got a wii to join the craze, and even my 60 year old father has a dozen games.

Some friends of ours had a PS2 and they had only a couple of games. I bought their kids a Wii for Christmas. I was just over to their house a week ago and the kids busted out the wii and had at least 30 games. They played different games with their friends the whole time I was there.

I can see it both ways, though. Many businesses bought it just for wii sports...

Glad I preordered. I love Mario Kart even if its cheap and goofy. Its fun.

Looking forward to it.

Fucking blue shell...

I don't play the refurb game. While it might be certified by Nintendo I'd rather not have someone else's problem.

Nintendo refurb stuff is better than most new stuff and has same as new warranty. Have never been disappointed.

Maybe that's a list of must-haves for your average anime-loving neckbeard, but the actual must-haves on the Wii were none of those.

I never met 1 person in my LIFE that just owned Wii Sports...you sound legit.

I know a company that bought 50 to use at trade shows when wii mania was at its peak.

Considering we are on a nerd forum, I just ruined e average of your 5 friends.

Loved DD, didn't really care for MKWii.
Curious to see where this one falls.

It's available for preorder again on Amazon if you want to go that route. But New Egg has it for the same price and a $5 gift card. Not to mention no taxes in most states.

I'm definitely going to get MK8, but I can't decide whether to go digital or not on this one. I just wish Nintendo would allow us to download the game in advance, but let us play it on the release date. My Internet is so freaking slow.

I'm not sure why there is so much blue shell hate. It helps level the playing field. It takes a lot of practice, but you can dodge the using a power slide boost or mushroom. If you can snake, then the blue shell is no big deal.

I know a company that bought 50 to use at trade shows when wii mania was at its peak.

Considering we are on a nerd forum, I just ruined e average of your 5 friends.

A company is not a person, but keep telling yourself that. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why there is so much blue shell hate. It helps level the playing field. It takes a lot of practice, but you can dodge the using a power slide boost or mushroom. If you can snake, then the blue shell is no big deal.

Depends on the game. Snaking isn't even in all of the games, including Mario Kart Wii. The turbo dodge doesn't work in all of them either. I have no issue with blue shells (they add random drama), but in the first DS game the CPU tended to be brutal with them.
The worst offenders of all time was lightning in MK64. You could literally hold on to lightning to make certain jumps impossible. It was a guaranteed win (or at least a comeback/massive lead) on certain tracks.

I've updated my OP, but it looks like Amazon now has MK8 available for preorder again.

Not sure its legal to own a Nintendo console and not own a Mario Kart game.

They also have a release date for it, I got the e-,mail yesterday or the day before saying what day it would be delivered

Just saw some footage of the game. This might be the first Wii U game I buy. Looks amazing. Also, makes me sad in a way. If Nintendo can pull something as great looking as this off on the Wii U, imagine what they could pull off on a console with true next gen power. It's a shame the Wii U isn't better in the hardware side of things.

Back