Mario Kart 7

jamesrb

[H]ard|Gawd
Anybody else playing this? I got it this morning at Toys R Us in the buy one, get one 50% off sale.

I love the new courses, and gameplay is great. I am glad for the removal of bikes. While the Wii game was fun at first, doing wheelies over and over gets old. IMHO, this is much better than the Wii, DS, and Gamecube games, based on my early experience.

If anybody else is playing, have you found a way to view World Records for Time Trials? I loved the time trial mode on the Wii (other than the exploits), but haven't found much on this game so far.

Been playing it a little bit. While I agree that wheelies definitely got old, this one seems like you're constantly on straightaways with nothing to do. They brought back the slow power sliding from the Wii version, so you can't snake or really get much from sliding. As a result you're just stuck going straight and hoping you don't get shot from behind.

While not the game's fault, I really think the 3DS might be the most uncomfortable to hold system of all time. What's with those sharp nubs on the back of it? Last night I ended up busting out a knife and cutting them off.

I brought my 3DS with me to work and am continuing to play. It’s fun, and I really do like the courses they choose to bring back as well as the newer ones. I’d say the courses are easily the strongpoint of the game. Still, it really does feel like they forgot to add some kind of technique to do on all of the straightaways.
One thing I appreciate is the new “leaf” power up which you can get in 1st place. It’s a raccoon’s tail that lets you melee other players, shells, small enemies, etc.
Now that dude camping with shells is no longer unbeatable since you can defend yourself. The squid ink is really effective this time around, too. It covers almost the whole screen and there are a lot of obstacles to plow into now.
Seems like there are a boatload of unlocks this time around, and the coins are only there for the sake of unlocking stuff (they don’t make you faster), so I’ll probably try and complete everything before messing with online mode very much.
With the lack of snaking, wheelies, etc. I’m going to initially venture a guess that the seriously good players probably won’t be all that dominant. The difference between a good player and everyone else could boil down to luck a lot more this time.

Based upon my day 1 impression, I’d say it’s good, but I still miss the more advanced techniques that let a better player rise above the nonsense going on in the back.

I looked at GameFAQs and they said the coins are only for unlocks. There's no speedometer or way to tell...and the instructions for the game are all but worthless.
They don't appear to make you faster, but I don't know for 100% sure.

The coins give you a small temporary speed boost when you get them. Sort of like a very very weak mushroom.

I looked at GameFAQs and they said the coins are only for unlocks. There's no speedometer or way to tell...and the instructions for the game are all but worthless.
They don't appear to make you faster, but I don't know for 100% sure.

the manual says they make you faster.
(Home>Manual>some page)

You max out(your speed) at 10 and the coins stop counting. The game keeps count for you though as you collect more, the counter just wont go past 10.

Ah...the joys of an electronic manual. The little fold-out that came with it pretty much didn't tell you anything. The GameFAQs pre-release FAQ said the coins were only for unlocks, but the speed boost makes sense and is just like old-school MK1.
I discovered the jump at the top of the ramp thing by accident last night. It's pretty similar to the trick function from the Wii version, but a little more practical. It definitely opens things up on several tracks as a result.

Back