Marines Test Google's Latest Military Robot

HardOCP News

[H] News
The scariest thing about this military robot? It's designed by Google, you know, the people that know everything about you. What ever happened to the days when the Terminator had to go through the phone book to find you? :(

It underwent trials and testing at Marine Corps Base Quantico in Virginia as part of evaluations by the Marines on future military uses of robotic technology. In a series of missions, it was evaluated in different terrains including hills, woodlands and urban areas.

The scariest thing about this military robot? It's designed by Google, you know, the people that know everything about you. What ever happened to the days when the Terminator had to go through the phone book to find you? :(

It underwent trials and testing at Marine Corps Base Quantico in Virginia as part of evaluations by the Marines on future military uses of robotic technology. In a series of missions, it was evaluated in different terrains including hills, woodlands and urban areas.

This remind me more of Capitain America: The Winter Soldier than of the Terminator...

I can see it now. A militarized robot running up to me and saying 'don't be evil' right before shooting me dead because it knew too much about me like that I quit using gmail and moved to an iphone (?) for more privacy.

0DlQjSGR5HF8oB4fUB9j_kYHRy0_HOW-QlbYHHwU4L0.jpg

Wait, the scariest word in this headline to me is "latest". How many freaking military robots does Google have?!!? :eek:

My first thought was "How many minutes did it take for them to break it?"

The U.S. military is interested in the use of robots in combat because they can more confidently be sent into dangerous situations without the worry of loss of life.

This is why the robots will turn on us ....

Google (Alphabet?) didn't really develop it, they just bought Boston Dynamics who has been developing these dog like robots for a while.

For most entry situations, wouldn't a cheap disposable 2lb 4wd R/C style drone with a short range WiFi camera on a manually telescoped pole and a cradle for remote detonating a grenade make more sense? Cheaper at under $1k to buy and hand carry capable. And these robotic mules could act like a remote access point and charge station so they can stay out of harms way instead of risking a probably half million dollar robot at each doorway.

Still waiting for someone to design some robots that can perform meaningful tasks at Fukushima Daiichi.

Wouldn't mind knowing where the cores went.

Back