March shows the Xbox One's strengths

People don't like paying more for less. I don't think this is Android vs Apple.

Whaaat? Millions of people happily pay more for iPhones/iPads even though some are less powerful than their android counterparts. It's about the complete package. If Microsoft finally gets off its ass and opens up an app store on the xbox one it won't even be close. It took Apple about a year to launch theirs...I don't think Microsoft has that luxury.

You cannot build a comparable PC for the same price and get the same features.

You can build a PC that will be the same price as an Xbone and be much faster. You can use XMB/Steam Big picture for media/games. PC has endless options and customizations!

You cannot build a comparable PC for the same price and get the same features.

You can build a PC that will be the same price as an Xbone and be much faster. You can use XMB/Steam Big picture for media/games. PC has endless options and customizations!

I feel like a lot of the Xbox One/PS4 owners who have a PC, and claim what Bman did, completely forgot about Steam Big Picture. Or have never tried it.

With OS, game controller, keyboard, mouse and webcam? Oh, and add in some voice control software too.

I feel like a lot of the Xbox One/PS4 owners who have a PC, and claim what Bman did, completely forgot about Steam Big Picture. Or have never tried it.

I have tried it, and its great. The problem is, you just dont get the same games on PC as you do on console save the few cross platforms. Then you get partial/no/controller support on 75% of the games available on steam. So i dont even want to bother hooking that up to my big TV, because honestly, the reason i have consoles on my TV is to kick back with a controller and have some fun game time. If i want to spend hours playing Civs/Total Wars/twitch FPS games, its going to be at my PC in a seating position to utilize my mouse and KB. I just dont see a good reason i'd want a steam box vs a console on my main entertainment system.

With OS, game controller, keyboard, mouse and webcam? Oh, and add in some voice control software too.

Depending on the brands you buy, then yes all of that can be done. You do understand that many of the games are 720p or 1080p with much lower settings on xboxone right?

Depending on the brands you buy, then yes all of that can be done. You do understand that many of the games are 720p or 1080p with much lower settings on xboxone right?

I have an xbox one and have not noticed what you say there. However, I do have a gaming computer and it is much more expensive than my Xbox one. (Mind you, I have a R9 290 and FX 8350 so there is that.)

I am very good at pricing things out and building out computers with good, reliable parts. There is no possible way that a computer can be built for the price of an Xbox one with all the same capabilities that the one has. (A keyboard, mouse, game controller, OS and webcam have to be included in the price.)

In fact, I am building a new computer for my dad with an SSD and A10-7700K processor. Without an OS, keyboard, mouse, game controller or webcam, I am already at about $500. Also, I am not going to get a cheap ass $10 case or $15 "500 Watt" power supply for it either. (This is a good Mini ITX setup with a Fractal Design ITX case.)

Edit: The SSD is a $69 120GB one and the mainboard is an $84 A88 Asrock board. (They are solid boards from my experience.)

I have tried it, and its great. The problem is, you just dont get the same games on PC as you do on console save the few cross platforms. Then you get partial/no/controller support on 75% of the games available on steam. So i dont even want to bother hooking that up to my big TV, because honestly, the reason i have consoles on my TV is to kick back with a controller and have some fun game time. If i want to spend hours playing Civs/Total Wars/twitch FPS games, its going to be at my PC in a seating position to utilize my mouse and KB. I just dont see a good reason i'd want a steam box vs a console on my main entertainment system.

The majority of games in the 8 years have native controller support on PC, those that don't are usually indie devs. I have my PS3 controller and I have a keyboard with a touchpad attached to it which does everything else I need it to. The reason to get a PC is that you aren't locked down to a closed system and have to rely on xbox live/PSN which you have to pay for. You can do so much more and pay much much less when using a PC. Most console only users don't seem to be able to get past the initial cost.....

I have an xbox one and have not noticed what you say there. However, I do have a gaming computer and it is much more expensive than my Xbox one. (Mind you, I have a R9 290 and FX 8350 so there is that.)

I am very good at pricing things out and building out computers with good, reliable parts. There is no possible way that a computer can be built for the price of an Xbox one with all the same capabilities that the one has. (A keyboard, mouse, game controller, OS and webcam have to be included in the price.)

In fact, I am building a new computer for my dad with an SSD and A10-7700K processor. Without an OS, keyboard, mouse, game controller or webcam, I am already at about $500. Also, I am not going to get a cheap ass $10 case or $15 "500 Watt" power supply for it either. (This is a good Mini ITX setup with a Fractal Design ITX case.)

Edit: The SSD is a $69 120GB one and the mainboard is an $84 A88 Asrock board. (They are solid boards from my experience.)

I wouldn't consider Xbox parts reliable and not everyone cares to use the webcam/voice control stuff. When you break it down by the cost of games, accessories, and understanding that the xboxone is already heavily outdated then you would see that its cheaper in the long run for a PC. Don't think about the initial cost of the PC, think of the long term and the options you have for the future.

So you can't build a pc for the same price as the xone to deliver the same or better experience without adding stipulations. Good to know.

There is also a ton of second hand hardware.
A friend picked up a quad core Dell with 4GB ram for about £100 at an auction, fitted a better PSU and gfx card, Bob became his Uncle!
Much cheaper than an Xbone and better in practically all respects.
And he didnt have to pay for a webcam he didnt want lol.

There is also a ton of second hand hardware.
A friend picked up a quad core Dell with 4GB ram for about £100 at an auction, fitted a better PSU and gfx card, Bob became his Uncle!
Much cheaper than an Xbone and better in practically all respects.
And he didnt have to pay for a webcam he didnt want lol.

But where's the voice recognition, bro?!

:cool:

I haven't used a console since GTA V came out, but I don't come into the console section and bash consoles. Why do you guys do that? It's kind of weird.

I wouldn't consider Xbox parts reliable and not everyone cares to use the webcam/voice control stuff. When you break it down by the cost of games, accessories, and understanding that the xboxone is already heavily outdated then you would see that its cheaper in the long run for a PC. Don't think about the initial cost of the PC, think of the long term and the options you have for the future.

The problem with this reasoning is that it is not logical at all. Since we are comparing an Xbox one to a PC, it does not matter if someone wants a certain thing or not. After all, you are saying a base Chevy Cruze is so much better than a 2014 Dodge Dart GT fully loaded or something to that affect. :)

PC gaming is not cheaper overall. I do not buy games at full price on either the console side nor the PC side. I also do not pay full price for my Xbox live Gold membership. I enjoy using all gaming machines, not just one or the other. (I was PC only for a couple of years but got sick of trying to make things work because the game producer did not care.)

I haven't used a console since GTA V came out, but I don't come into the console section and bash consoles. Why do you guys do that? It's kind of weird.

Bashing? Naw. Atleast, I hope what I posted isn't construed that way. Everything seems pretty civil so far.

LOL just stop. $500 gaming PC? no..

go build one and show us the results...it has to run BF4 and Titanfall at least as well as the X1

LOL just stop. $500 gaming PC? no..

go build one and show us the results...it has to run BF4 and Titanfall at least as well as the X1

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 740 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $74.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A55M-VG3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $42.99 @ Newegg
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $30.99 @ Newegg
Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.50 @ Amazon
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card $178.60 @ Newegg
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case $29.99 @ Newegg
PSU: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ Micro Center
Games: Many quality F2P ones $FREE
Total:

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $528.40

Will play BF4 around high settings 1080p around 40fps and Titanfall I cant say because its a bad game IMO, its a source engine game so it cant be that demanding.

Anymore questions? You could even get more RAM and a cheaper video card, it would still be better than a console. You even have the option to upgrade 1 or a few parts at a time!

It is a tremendous disappointment that next gen is not all running at 1080P 100% of the time.

Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.50 @ Amazon
PSU: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ Micro Center
Total:

Will play BF4 around high settings 1080p around 40fps and Titanfall I cant say because its a bad game IMO, its a source engine game so it cant be that demanding.

Anymore questions? You could even get more RAM and a cheaper video card, it would still be better than a console. You even have the option to upgrade 1 or a few parts at a time!

Mucho props to you, sir.

Total:

Obviously, a controller, keyboard and mouse are not needed. :D Also, how much would the power supply be for us mere mortals that do not live near a Micro Center. (Pretty much almost everyone.)

Obviously, a controller, keyboard and mouse are not needed. :D Also, how much would the power supply be for us mere mortals that do not live near a Micro Center. (Pretty much almost everyone.)

You have a choice in what you want to buy at that point and spend however much you want. Isn't choice nice? You act like its expensive for these items and you just cant seem to admit defeat.

You have a choice in what you want to buy at that point and spend however much you want. Isn't choice nice? You act like its expensive for these items and you just cant seem to admit defeat.

Nope, I just know computers and to be able to compare apples to apples, it matters. Add about another $80 and you would probably be closer to the actual cost. (For instance, the case is $49.99 at newegg right now, not $29.99)

Edit: Although, the case looks nice in the pictures.

Nope, I just know computers and to be able to compare apples to apples, it matters. Add about another $80 and you would probably be closer to the actual cost. (For instance, the case is $49.99 at newegg right now, not $29.99)

Edit: Although, the case looks nice in the pictures.

It was old list I had a few months ago.

AGAIN, you have a choice! You can purchase similar to that, but you don't need to match exactly that. You don't need to have all higher end stuff right away. You don't have to settle with one setup for 8 years.

So you can't build a pc for the same price as the xone to deliver the same or better experience without adding stipulations. Good to know.
Well, you can't deliver an identical experience with any PC: software to enable that doesn't really exist. Consoles have always had tight software integration and delivered much better on the ten-foot experience than PCs have, and this is only maybe going to change with SteamOS.

It is itself a stipulation, however, that the PC must deliver an identical experience. Whether you could deliver a better experience can't be quantitatively defined, so it could always be argued around. Thus, there's no point in the comparison.

PC gaming is not cheaper overall. I do not buy games at full price on either the console side nor the PC side. I also do not pay full price for my Xbox live Gold membership.
I don't know how to really define what 'overall' means in this context, but I'm fairly sure it isn't synonymous with "how I approach it and what decisions I make". Depending on the decisions you make as an individual consumer, the pendulum can shift either way.

That the PC, as a gaming platform, can be more cost effective is about the only argument a person could reasonably make.

It is a tremendous disappointment that next gen is not all running at 1080P 100% of the time.
I don't actually think it matters terribly when you're playing on a TV from ten feet. It's disappointing that there are so many games running at 720p, but being sub-1080p in certain cases (like 900p, or whatever) isn't really a problem.

I don't actually think it matters terribly when you're playing on a TV from ten feet. It's disappointing that there are so many games running at 720p, but being sub-1080p in certain cases (like 900p, or whatever) isn't really a problem.

It matters when you are playing on a 55+ inch screen from ten feet or less. It effects the clarity and smoothness of the image I don't care what chart you show me, it shows and it matters.

It matters when you are playing on a 55+ inch screen from ten feet or less. It effects the clarity and smoothness of the image I don't care what chart you show me, it shows and it matters.

Ummm, no. I have a Sony 50inch LCD LED Backlit TV and the Xbox one looks fantastic on it. The image is smooth and the clarity I just fine. The key is to remember, your opinion, well it may be valid to you, does not mean it applies to everyone.

Truth is, I am done upgrading my computer for at least 2 or 3 years. I now also have a One, 360 and original so if I want, I can play a game on any of those as well. (I do not pay full price for games either and I have plenty to go around.

Wow, this thread sure did get off topic and I did not help in that regard. Snap too is an excellent function even though I have not used it all that much.

It effects the clarity and smoothness of the image I don't care what chart you show me, it shows and it matters.
I'm not arguing that it doesn't "show". The consoles are still at the mercy of quantization limits that don't really affect film/TV, so those oft-reposted distance charts don't mean a lot. I'm just suggesting that, in practice, it doesn't really mean all that much. A couple hundred lines or so of extra resolution doesn't drastically change the experience unless you're really fixated on detail.

If you're playing on a $400/$500 gaming machine on a TV from ten feet and obsessing about texel sharpness or whatever, I'm going to argue that you're really going about it the wrong way.

Playing Titanfall with college basketball snapped. Between Championship week + NCAA tourny, I think I'll be going through a couple generations of pilots.

titanfallmarch.jpg

How can you even see anything when sitting farther away from the screen on the snapped picture? I wish you could make it bigger. So much unused space almost makes it a gimmick than a feature. I guess if all you're doing is listening to the announcer then it's cool.

How can you even see anything when sitting farther away from the screen on the snapped picture? I wish you could make it bigger. So much unused space almost makes it a gimmick than a feature. I guess if all you're doing is listening to the announcer then it's cool.

It's really not hard to see at all. And yeah, you can listen to the announcer and glance on the screen when you hear something you want to see. I'm used to watching 3-4+ games at a time so playing something while watching a game is actually pretty easy.

I'm not arguing that it doesn't "show". The consoles are still at the mercy of quantization limits that don't really affect film/TV, so those oft-reposted distance charts don't mean a lot. I'm just suggesting that, in practice, it doesn't really mean all that much. A couple hundred lines or so of extra resolution doesn't drastically change the experience unless you're really fixated on detail.

If you're playing on a $400/$500 gaming machine on a TV from ten feet and obsessing about texel sharpness or whatever, I'm going to argue that you're really going about it the wrong way.

Plus when you combine the fact that those of us who build and take apart PC's are the vast minority you can't really put a price on something just "working" for the masses (most of the time anyways). The fact consoles are just "plug and plays" is a massive draw for consumers who need things to just work. I remember people being up on arms about PS3/360 updates during those earlier years, imagine how bat crazy they would get with PC drivers and their various random compatibility issues. Valve and AMD/NV have done a ton to streamline stuff with auto updates (Raptr/NV Experience/Steam) but they're still more margin for error on the PC.

I enjoy what consoles have to offer, and if it wasn't for owning a 360/ps3 I would've missed tons of really incredible games. Now if you could talk Sony/Naughty Dog into releasing future masterpieces on PC with 4k textures and porting me The Last of Us to the PC then maybe I might not need consoles as much but until then they're place is secure. :p

Oh and there's still no PC version of Red Dead Redemption! *cries a little inside because he knows how much more awesome it would've been on the PC*

But yeah, trading a little visual fidelity (okay, maybe a LOT in some cases) for what the consoles offer, for most, is really a better entertainment investment than a superior PC for the same cash.

With that said, I sadly await Destiny for the PC and pray Bungie doesn't screw us over again with no version but won't sob too much when I'm forced to buy it on PS4.

I wish you could make it bigger. So much unused space almost makes it a gimmick than a feature..

how do you make it bigger while keeping the correct aspect ratio, for both the game and the snapped screen?

921600 vs. 1440000 vs. 2073600. Those are the pixel counts of 720 vs 900 vs 1080. There is a pretty large difference in pixels. I am kind of confused why you keep downplaying graphics in every console thread, it's one of the big selling points they use every generation.

If I am playing a $60 game on a $500 console with a $3000 (or more) TV, I AM obsessed with the quality of the picture. That is why some people buy $1000 video cards and some people don't. There is a difference and it shows in more than just close up with a magnifying glass. But hey, if you guys are happy with your xbox one I am happy for you. I am not on a fanboi rant, I am talking about both systems. It's not really next gen, it is this gen.5, actually more like current Gen point 2.

Total:

Oh boy, come on..that low end PC ordered from 4-5 different places would not run BF4, Titanfall or any current demanding game and be close to enjoyable as on the X1 with same or similar functionality. I guess I should have said that and it needs to run and look as good as the X1 on at least a lousy 1080p as well I guess..be reasonably fast and all settings maxed or equivalent to X1, not a frustrating slow loading sideshow. With same X1 features.

Battlefield 4 Recommended system requirements:
Processor (AMD): Six-Core
Processor (Intel): Quad-Core
Memory: 8 GB
Hard Drive / Solid State Drive: 30 GB
Graphics Card (AMD): AMD Radeon 7870
Graphics Card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce GT 660
Graphics Memory: 3 GB

As you know it is universally accepted as never enough. All PC gamers know recommended is really never enough, forget minimum..

Here's what I get from those parts you picked out..All from Newegg because who is going to order parts from 4-5 different places..

Rosewill REDBONE U3 Black SECC Steel USB 3.0 -$10.00 Instant
$49.99
TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 -$5.00 Instant
$64.99
ASRock FM2A55M-VG3+ FM2+ 95W
$42.99
CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V -$5.00 Instant $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$44.99
Patriot Viper 3 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 PV34G160C0RD $10.00 Mail-in
($40.99 each)
$81.98 (You need 2 sticks for Dual Channel)
AMD Athlon X4 740 Trinity 3.2GHz Socket FM2 65W Quad-Core AD740XOKHJBOX
$74.99
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit (Slim Envelope) - OEM
$99.99
MSI R9 270 GAMING 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
-$20.00 Instant
$189.99

Subtotal: $649.91
Shipping: $0.00
Taxes: $depends on State or province

Add cheapass TN 1080p Monitor, Keyboard, mouse, headphones and mic, Webcam (with same functionality as Kinect :) ) Speakers, Xbox 360 Controller and dongle, HDMI cable, mousepad? and so on and on..sound card?..the onboard sound on that Asrock has to suck..And you still have a low end PC. It would be fine or many games though or WoW...etc..

It comes down to this. Any half decent gaming PC is going to cost you at least $1000-$1200 and up and really..that's still mid range without any peripherals or monitor at all.

a video card in one of my PC's cost more than an X1 and PS4 combined and I'm still not happy with performance :)

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong here guys, I hate consoles with a passion. That said the $500.00 PC is a pipe dream. You really need to spend 800-1000 to get the full experience. I highly suggest doing that though. Funny I see console people complain about the cost of building a PC, yet they have no issue throwing down $60.00 a pop on console games.

Don't get me wrong here guys, I hate consoles with a passion. That said the $500.00 PC is a pipe dream. You really need to spend 800-1000 to get the full experience. I highly suggest doing that though. Funny I see console people complain about the cost of building a PC, yet they have no issue throwing down $60.00 a pop on console games.

The problem with your last comment is that, at least on this board, we console owners know how to buy games on sale or used. (I have not bought a single console game at full price in over 10 years or more.) Also, I am sitting here trying to think up some technology I hate and so far, I am coming up empty.

Initial cost is very important to most customer that I have seen. Besides, the OP gets to enjoy his gaming and March Madness all at once, what is not to like about that.

If I am playing a $60 game on a $500 console with a $3000 (or more) TV, I AM obsessed with the quality of the picture. That is why some people buy $1000 video cards and some people don't. There is a difference and it shows in more than just close up with a magnifying glass. But hey, if you guys are happy with your xbox one I am happy for you. I am not on a fanboi rant, I am talking about both systems. It's not really next gen, it is this gen.5, actually more like current Gen point 2.

Seriously, did you buy a TV for $3000? :eek: That has to be one majorly big, jaw dropping TV. I figure if I am going to kvetch about resolution, I am going to just boot up my computer and enjoy whatever game I am playing there. However, I find that the Xbox one looks great and is easy as stick and disk in and play. (After a long day working on computers and then going for a run, I often just want to relax and play.)

The problem with your last comment is that, at least on this board, we console owners know how to buy games on sale or used. (I have not bought a single console game at full price in over 10 years or more.) Also, I am sitting here trying to think up some technology I hate and so far, I am coming up empty.

Initial cost is very important to most customer that I have seen. Besides, the OP gets to enjoy his gaming and March Madness all at once, what is not to like about that.

The used game market is such a sham, at least at a retail level. Going to gamestop and looking at their used games you realize how much of a rip off it really is, most of the time 10% if even that. If a game retails at 29.99 and whoopy they have a used copy theyre selling for 25.99 its hard to justify. Especially when you know they paid the poor sap 5 bucks for it. Unless you go private used market its not that much cheaper to the point of being worth it, not even close to what steam sales and other flash sales hit

Add cheapass TN 1080p Monitor, Keyboard, mouse, headphones and mic, Webcam (with same functionality as Kinect :) ) Speakers, Xbox 360 Controller and dongle, HDMI cable, mousepad? and so on and on..sound card?..the onboard sound on that Asrock has to suck..And you still have a low end PC. It would be fine or many games though or WoW...etc..

It comes down to this. Any half decent gaming PC is going to cost you at least $1000-$1200 and up and really..that's still mid range without any peripherals or monitor at all.

a video card in one of my PC's cost more than an X1 and PS4 combined and I'm still not happy with performance :)

You do realize the console versions run it around 30fps. The specs I listed are enough to game on and still have a better experience over a console. I never said it would max out games at 1080p and perform miracles. Many games even at low settings look a hell of a lot better than a console.

Back