Marantz SR4003/SR5003 or Integra DTR5.9?

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
**I have also posted this in the Home Theater PC's & Components**

I am reposting this thread here as I seem to see the names of the components I need help choosing between (Marantz & Integra) here often.

So after visting my local Ovation store I have decided to scrap my idea of going with a Yamaha RX-V765. I have the following options open to me: Marantz SR4003, Marantz 5003 or an Integra DTR5.9.

Here is the setup it will be driving:

Components:
Xbox 360 (HDMI version)
HTPC w/ Blu ray via HDMI
Cable or Uverse (HDMI preferred but could do component)
Xbox

Speakers:
Front: Polk T90e (Euro version of the Monitor 60's)
Center: Polk CS2
Surrounds: Monitor 40's
Sub: TBA (looking at a Paradigm)

Here is the problem, I have 3 HDMI inputs and the Marantz only have 3 so adding more components that do HDMI would require a switch. Marantz does make a switch that goes as an accessory but its like 349 dollars (but has 6 HDMI inputs and 2 outs). The Integra has 4 HDMI inputs.

I need some help deciding between them, quirks, things they do well, to help me narrow down which one I will be getting. What would you do?

I'd narrow it down between the 5003 or the DTR5.9. Both of these support the newer audio formats.

I can't comment on how they sound, since I've never heard them.

If you need to buy an HDMI switch, get one from monoprice.com

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110

The only issue I have with getting a switch from monoprice is making sure it also passes the audio. I haven't read or looked at them (so I may be talking out my ass here), but I know from my understanding some of them don't do so well with passing the audio on unchecked.

You really don't need a switch, the Marantz 5003 has a very good scaler built in. You can upconvert analog video (including component) to 1080P and send the output signal via hdmi.

I used to sell both brands, but have not heard the DTR5.9. I do however own the SR5003 and am very happy with its sound. Both brands had good, full sound when I sold them, but I liked Marantz's warmth a bit better.

Also, I saw considerably more returns / repairs for Integra (2003-2006 models) during that time. FYI.

I used to sell both brands, but have not heard the DTR5.9. I do however own the SR5003 and am very happy with its sound. Both brands had good, full sound when I sold them, but I liked Marantz's warmth a bit better.

Also, I saw considerably more returns / repairs for Integra (2003-2006 models) during that time. FYI.

I have it narrowed down to just the SR5003 and Integra 5.9 (the SR4003 does 7.1 diff than the SR5003)

Basically I just want to ensure that there are no dealbreakers in regards to 7.1 over HDMI and that it is money well spent. I have heard of the Marantz having issues with HDCP. Do you have any info/thoughts on that? Also have been told it will not overlay the Audyssee correction over the new lossless formats. Is that a dealbreaker in anyway?

I greatly appreciate the info I am getting here!

Back