Marantz receiver service claim denied

Twinkie

Gawd
Hey, all.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum, so feel free to correct me and I'll adjust accordingly.

I bought a Marantz SR5008 receiver from Accessories4Less on their Black Friday sale.

It worked great for a few months, then started throwing a lot of white noise across all channels. I called Marantz, they had me try a factory reset, nothing changed, so they had me send it to United Radio for service.

United Radio denied my service claim on the ground that it was user induced corrosion. They said I spilled something on the receiver.

Image is too big for the forum, but please see here

I've kept my AV equipment in a climate controlled room in an AV cabinet and far away from any liquids. I have not personally spilled anything on this, but I have a roommate and can't eliminate that possibility.

Has anyone seen this type of thing before?

Looking for guidance and explanations before I make my next move.

Hate to say this...but, GL. You might have a better chance on AVS trying to get a Marantz rep to help you out. Once you get "denied", it is your word against theirs. I would ask Marantz if there is another repair company to get a second opinion. Also, if those boards are horizontal, I don't buy it. How would you get a "drip" underneath the board on top.

Accessories4Less is a Marantz-authorized reseller. Did you buy it new or refurbished, and if so did you go back to Accessories4Less who directed you to Marantz?

Was it new when you bought it from Accesssories4Less? The way it looks, that corrosion has been there for awhile.

Purchased as refurbished unit from A4L.

I called A4L who told me to call Marantz but that everything should be covered under warranty as A4L is authorized Marantz dealer. Marantz had me call United Radio who finally got back to me with the rejection.

I'll try all 3 companies again tomorrow.

I signed for AVS Forums to see what the folks there have to say.
I don't believe this is anything I did.

Looking at my AV rack, if liquid was somehow spilled on the receiver, it would have to have been spilled on the Xbox on the rack above, and there is no sign of any sort of spillage there.

I used to work in electronics repair and saw this stuff all the time. I mean this with respect and in a non-accusatory tone: that didn't come from the factory that way and it didn't happen by itself. So at this point the "how" is irrelevant. The fact is that it "is" and they don't have any obligation to repair it. Best of luck to you though, maybe someone from Marantz will throw you a bone out of good will.

I used to work in electronics repair and saw this stuff all the time. I mean this with respect and in a non-accusatory tone: that didn't come from the factory that way and it didn't happen by itself. So at this point the "how" is irrelevant. The fact is that it "is" and they don't have any obligation to repair it. Best of luck to you though, maybe someone from Marantz will throw you a bone out of good will.

It wouldn't have come from the factory when it was first made, but is there a possibility this was missed or neglected when refurbishing the unit someone previously?

Agree with you but since it's refurbished anything is possible. I hear nothing but nightmares about refurbs.

Looks like a short occurred with the spill. use 100% grade isoprophyl (shit they use to clean solder pads on PCB) spray and use a toothbrush to clean that shit out and see if the problem persists.

It wouldn't have come from the factory when it was first made, but is there a possibility this was missed or neglected when refurbishing the unit someone previously?

I don't doubt that is a possibility. In fact it's probably pretty likely. But as I said at this point the "how" is irrelevant. The refurb process is typically such that the unit will ultimately pass a battery of tests that someone somewhere has deemed a good enough indication that the unit is working to factory spec. The whole point of refurbishment is to return it to factory spec and factory spec doesn't include any liquid damage.

I agree with Matthew Kane about the alcohol and a toothbrush. Try to clean it up and see if there is any improvement. I would inspect everything very closely to make sure there aren't any other spots.

Back