Mapping a Network Drive when one PC uses Azure AD and the other a local account

ppilot

Weaksauce
So I work at a small business which means that our setup isn't exactly ideal and I am running into an issue trying to map a network drive between two different PCs that use different login methods.

So the User's PC utilizes a Azure AD (it's the basic functionality that comes with Office 365 Subscriptions) to login whereas the PC with the folder I want to map utilizes a local login.

I was able to map the drive ok using the net use functionality in the command line, but it won't actually connect after restarting as the User's PC tries to to connect using the Azure Login and asks for a Security device credential. Is there a way around this? I see there is another option under more choices to use another account, but wasn't sure if that's what I want.

Yes, the 'use other account' is the option you're looking for. It will hard code those specific credentials to use when mounting the share.

Yes, the 'use other account' is the option you're looking for. It will hard code those specific credentials to use when mounting the share.

Yeah I tried that a couple time and it still wouldn't work, but it turns out the Other Account username syntax is pretty sensitive. I called up a friend and whether or not it was required, we used .\username and it worked. He said the period in front of the user name denotes a local account, is that true?

Thank for the reply!

Yeah I tried that a couple time and it still wouldn't work, but it turns out the Other Account username syntax is pretty sensitive. I called up a friend and whether or not it was required, we used .\username and it worked. He said the period in front of the user name denotes a local account, is that true?

Thank for the reply!

That was my next suggestion. If you want to use a local account on a domain joined computer, you need the .\ before the username to tell it to look on the computer itself for the account. By default it will check the domain the machine is joined to for the account, and it doesn't exist there.

Back