Mapped Network Drive

Monkey God

Mangina Full of Sand
So after discovering mapped network drives go away when a user logs off a server, is there a way to create a system-usable mapped drive that can be accessed by automatic agents on the server?

Map a drive such as say \\192.168.0.100\sharename = drive letter Z

then the agent just accesses the Z drive like it is local?
the application I am using will not recognize UNC.

just to make sure you've tried right clicking my computer --> map network drive checked the reconnect at login?

just to make sure you've tried right clicking my computer --> map network drive checked the reconnect at login?

the problem is no one is logged in.
this agent runs periodically 24/7, and I cant maintain the remote connection all the time.

I could login under the administrator account on the server, and create the mapping, but as soon as some computer room operator logs it out, it will break.

I need a drive mapping that will work for system processes with nobody logged in, directly or remote.

I know of no way to keep a network map active when the user logs out. Primarily because you need to be authenticated as someone to access the share.

UNC paths would be the way to do it; Or leave hte system logged in and locked.

I know of no way to keep a network map active when the user logs out. Primarily because you need to be authenticated as someone to access the share.

UNC paths would be the way to do it; Or leave hte system logged in and locked.

yeah ive been trying UNC, but in our bastard environment, it wont work right because the hosting server is not in the domain...argh.

I decided to go with an FTP solution.
I dont like it for batch processing, but what ya gonna do when you work in a frankenstein environment.

Thanks for the idears though.

The only option I can think of is to use a scheduled task at startup wiht a batch file something like this:

net use z: \\192.168.0.100\sharename /u:192.168.0.100\user /p:password /persistent:yes
pause

This would leave the accessing process account logged in without using a session on the server because of the pause. Local and remote log offs and log ons wouldn't affect the mapping. Preferable, you'd want to run the task in the same user context as the app using it.

Back