Many Of Your Android Apps Send Unnecessary Hidden Data

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This study targeted Android, but I have a hunch it’s applicable to most apps out there. I would be curious to see how these transmissions affect battery life.

The researchers analyzed the number of communication channels opened by the 500 most popular mobile apps and found that roughly 50 percent of them appear to have no bearing on the user experience. That doesn’t necessarily translate directly to the quantity of data exchanged over those channels, but for short sessions of application use, the portion of transmitted data irrelevant to user experience is also as much as 50 percent.

absolutely affects battery life.

I used to see this earlier on in Androids life. You install a certain app, even if you dont have it running, mysteriously your battery life is degraded. No surprise here.

absolutely affects battery life.

I used to see this earlier on in Androids life. You install a certain app, even if you dont have it running, mysteriously your battery life is degraded. No surprise here.

Is thier a fix or a way to keep apps form sending data back?

I though newer android versions had built in permissions and startup blockers.

A lot of apps utilized 3rd party analytic services, which send information in the background, usually batched in certain sizes.. My guess this is what quite a lot of that data being sent to services is.. Analytics.. How else does one improve the user experience?

A lot of apps utilized 3rd party analytic services, which send information in the background, usually batched in certain sizes.. My guess this is what quite a lot of that data being sent to services is.. Analytics.. How else does one improve the user experience?

A flashlight app really needs analytics to function correctly. Especially since I go days or weeks without using it.

I noticed this as well. The most basic apps on android have services running.
80 % of the apps I use have services and most of them don't need it.
I wished google would be a little more strict about this or at least let me deny the service rights for some apps or hibernate specific apps' service when the app is not running.
For now I use an app that closes all background services of a list of preselected apps(greenify)
Crap like this is why apple can sell inferior hardware and still have similar performance to android phones.
For example, simple games without notifications or any online checks has it's own service running 24/7. Makes no sense.

Back