Manufactures falsely demoing 4K and 8K screens...

SomeGuy133

2[H]4U
Am I the only one that has noticed or gets irritated at places like LG and Dell claiming to show the difference in 4K/8K vs FHD?

I am surprised they have not stopped doing this yet or haven't gotten sued for the most obvious lie possible.

They show FHD vs 4K and the 4K image is usually an 8K image or even higher! In the LG example its ~1x1 3x3 6x6 (if i counted right) in terms of pixels maybe worse. Obviously not 2K, 4K, 8K (1x1, 2x2, 4x4). The Dell example is around 5x5 instead of 2x2 -_-

The dell example is so blatant its mind boggling. Just a mere glace it looks absurd! The LG looks too detailed but not completely blatant (at a glance)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-ADOF

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aow8fpfgnyshr7v/LG8K.png?dl=0

This twerp doesnt even notice that the slide demoing 4K/8K looks oddly detailed....
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/215584-j-display-demos-first-17-3-inch-8k-panel

I seriously cant be the only one that notices this blatant marketing lie that's being passed around.

My brain isn't derping on me is it...I mean 1080p vs 2160p is 1x1 vs 2x2=4x the pixels right?

I cant imagine i am having a complete retard moment here.

It's just marketing crap aimed at the average ill-informed customer, not at the niche/tech-savvy crowd.
All manufacturers do this, more or less ('before' vs 'after' yay), you shouldn't pay attention. We should only visit manufacturers website for dowloading stuff anyway, not to read their BS. :D

It's just marketing crap aimed at the average ill-informed customer, not at the niche/tech-savvy crowd.
All manufacturers do this, more or less ('before' vs 'after' yay), you shouldn't pay attention. We should only visit manufacturers website for dowloading stuff anyway, not to read their BS. :D

its flagrant lies though. Its like claiming a GPU has 16 DP ports and can run next gen games at 12000x8000 res max settings when it obiviously only has 4 DP ports.

Its like claiming a corolla can fly.

the blatant false advertising and the fact that "tech" sites spread the same material ignorantly is mind baggling.

This is not new. This sort of shenanigans has been going on ever since HDTVs started to gain marketshare. You would walk into a store and see a budget and expensive (same resolution) HDTV next to each other, but the budget is playing SD content and the expensive one is playing the same exact content but in HD - just to fool customers most likely because the store gets a higher margin on the expensive one.

its flagrant lies though. Its like claiming a GPU has 16 DP ports and can run next gen games at 12000x8000 res max settings when it obiviously only has 4 DP ports.

Its like claiming a corolla can fly.

the blatant false advertising and the fact that "tech" sites spread the same material ignorantly is mind baggling.

I'm supremely certain the free market will correct this trend that it itself created.

This is not new. This sort of shenanigans has been going on ever since HDTVs started to gain marketshare. You would walk into a store and see a budget and expensive (same resolution) HDTV next to each other, but the budget is playing SD content and the expensive one is playing the same exact content but in HD - just to fool customers most likely because the store gets a higher margin on the expensive one.

that would be deceptive and not a patently false claim. Claiming a screen has 4x more pixels than it actual has is completely different from playing two different image qualities on a TV.

Claiming a 4K TV has 33.2 mil pixels vs the real 8.3 mil is ridiculous.

Claiming a 4K TV has 33.2 mil pixels vs the real 8.3 mil is ridiculous.

Not seeing any of the stuff you linked to mentioning 33m pixels. The Dell link has "over 8 million pixels!" right at the top.

The compression grid is just supposed to illustrate how higher pixel densities work. If you're fooled into thinking your 4K TV is an 8K TV because of some pixels on a powerpoint slide, you deserve exactly what you get.

I'm supremely certain the free market will correct this trend that it itself created.

I'm not, have you seen the trend towards ultra-high res phones? Anyone who claims to be able to see a difference after about 400dpi (and even 400dpi is more than really necessary) is a complete chump and there are plenty of chumps out there.

This twerp doesnt even notice that the slide demoing 4K/8K looks oddly detailed....
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/215584-j-display-demos-first-17-3-inch-8k-panel

I seriously cant be the only one that notices this blatant marketing lie that's being passed around.
My brain isn't derping on me is it...I mean 1080p vs 2160p is 1x1 vs 2x2=4x the pixels right?
The worst thing is that you don't even have to fake it for the differences between FHD and 8K to be extremely noticeable.
I took the 8K image and downsampled it to make a fair comparison: http://abload.de/img/resolutin2ap7s.png

This is nothing new though, it's been happening ever since Apple released devices with "retina" displays.

Last edited:
Not seeing any of the stuff you linked to mentioning 33m pixels. The Dell link has "over 8 million pixels!" right at the top.

The compression grid is just supposed to illustrate how higher pixel densities work. If you're fooled into thinking your 4K TV is an 8K TV because of some pixels on a powerpoint slide, you deserve exactly what you get.

So then we should allow scammers because if u fall for a scam thats your problem and its just deserts...K gotcha So when someone sells a computer with a 980TI but it really has a card 1/4th the speed its totally cool and its the customers fault......

So then we should allow scammers because if u fall for a scam thats your problem and its just deserts...K gotcha So when someone sells a computer with a 980TI but it really has a card 1/4th the speed its totally cool and its the customers fault......

If it's advertised as "980Ti" then it had better be a 980Ti. Anything else is just illegal.

If it's advertised as "really good video card" as you assume that means it's a 980Ti, that's your problem.

These TVs all say they are either 4K or 8K in the official specs. That means you can go online and see for yourself how many pixels that is and decide for yourself if that's what you want. If you decide you want an 8K TV and buy a 4K one instead because you were suckered by some pixelated marketing materials, that's your own fault. If you make up your mind based on manufacturer marketing materials rather than independent reviews and information, it's hard for me to be sympathetic to your habits as a consumer.

OP, please stop overreacting. If you feel like people are actually being swindled, get in contact with them and a competent lawyer, and you can discuss the merits of the case together. Otherwise, just laugh it up like this isn't your first exposure to modern marketing material.

OP, please stop overreacting. If you feel like people are actually being swindled, get in contact with them and a competent lawyer, and you can discuss the merits of the case together. Otherwise, just laugh it up like this isn't your first exposure to modern marketing material.

it obviously isnt my first exposure i am just surprised that they still get away with such blatant garbage like this with no repercussions. I got tucked away a few similar examples of companies getting their pants sued off for similar things in the tech world. It was a number of years ago so i am surprised they still even try this.

I am also surprised that extreme tech is dumb enough to not even notice that they are reposting a slide that is false....this one is the one that really gets me is how a writer at extreme tech is even that stupid.

it obviously isnt my first exposure i am just surprised that they still get away with such blatant garbage like this with no repercussions. I got tucked away a few similar examples of companies getting their pants sued off for similar things in the tech world. It was a number of years ago so i am surprised they still even try this.

I am also surprised that extreme tech is dumb enough to not even notice that they are reposting a slide that is false....this one is the one that really gets me is how a writer at extreme tech is even that stupid.

Well, obviously he should have said something to signal that he's in the know, but I really doubt he took that slide at face value. Fact of the matter is it's standard marketing practice to do the zoomed-in shot of a pixelated base resolution image and then the super-high res shot of the new and improved feature level they're selling. Call it artistic license; I don't necessarily see the absence of mathematical precision at the geometric level of the advertisement to be criminal in this case. I'd be interested in some of those previous circumstances you referred to, actually. My memory doesn't go back that far. :p

Well, obviously he should have said something to signal that he's in the know, but I really doubt he took that slide at face value. Fact of the matter is it's standard marketing practice to do the zoomed-in shot of a pixelated base resolution image and then the super-high res shot of the new and improved feature level they're selling. Call it artistic license; I don't necessarily see the absence of mathematical precision at the geometric level of the advertisement to be criminal in this case. I'd be interested in some of those previous circumstances you referred to, actually. My memory doesn't go back that far. :p

trying to remember them...its been ages since i read of those....i have so many legal cases from history saved they all start blurring. My chrome and opera bookmarks are in the thousands if not 10s of thousands after the last 6-8 years of reading -_-

Its honestly the total lack of calling out the sham of false marketing that bothers me....here is a quote from extreme tech.

LG demoed 8K earlier this year, but it takes huge amounts of zoom to make it noticeable.

seriously...it takes huge amounts of zoom because its 100%+ more pixels than reality.... god damn 36:1 vs 16:1..... I wonder why its so detailed :rolleyes:

oh and by that quote i think he took it at face value....so supposed tech journalist that do reviews are that stupid. These are the people that should know better but they appear to not know better so how would the common joe know if people who report on tech daily don't even notice.

If that is not a fail and shows there is a serious issue and that marketers are actually convincing people that these magically have more res than they do.

(sorry for the shoty statement above...been up for 24 hours so passing coherent sentences is getting a tad tough :/ I think u get my point.)

Last edited:
trying to remember them...its been ages since i read of those....i have so many legal cases from history saved they all start blurring. My chrome and opera bookmarks are in the thousands if not 10s of thousands after the last 6-8 years of reading -_-

Its honestly the total lack of calling out the sham of false marketing that bothers me....here is a quote from extreme tech.

seriously...it takes huge amounts of zoom because its 100%+ more pixels than reality.... god damn 36:1 vs 16:1..... I wonder why its so detailed :rolleyes:

oh and by that quote i think he took it at face value....so supposed tech journalist that do reviews are that stupid. These are the people that should know better but they appear to not know better so how would the common joe know if people who report on tech daily don't even notice.

If that is not a fail and shows there is a serious issue and that marketers are actually convincing people that these magically have more res than they do.

(sorry for the shoty statement above...been up for 24 hours so passing coherent sentences is getting a tad tough :/ I think u get my point.)

Yeah, I get you. I'm not gonna go through his body of work, but you're right; it's definitely a possibility that he's flat out ignorant of the facts these days.

You have finally grown up a bit when you understand the world is full of lies told by liars, starting with the well intentioned ones first told by your parents. Advertising and sales are just a well polished lies; inherently false, water is wet and all that.

You pretty much have to directly libel/slander your competitors or make medical claims or similar regulated terms (warranty etc) before it even has a chance to be a meaningful civil or criminal issue.

This is the image Asus currently uses to advertise their monitors, it's quite obvious they photoshop some pixelization into the full hd part of the image.

18iuzb.png

Everyone who sells displays uses these kinds of marketing tricks.

This is the image Asus currently uses to advertise their monitors, it's quite obvious they photoshop some pixelization into the full hd part of the image.

18iuzb.png

Everyone who sells displays uses these kinds of marketing tricks.

yea thats equally shotty....no reason to even do that. The larger boxing already shows how much better it is....

Back