Mandrak Linux Installation

ScourggeFX

Gawd
I finally got it! Yesss!!! I installed it over the internet via FTP, after 4+ hours of agony and searching. I'm currently typing this on Konqueror.

I'm a newbie to Linux here. Any tips? How to install better fonts and have the monitor shutdown in powersave mode?

Thanks

use Mozilla for a browser. Mozilla has plug ins that konq does not. I prefer Gnome over KDE for a GUI. It seems to run faster and start up programs faster.

Enjoy Mandrake....i downloaded and installed it to learn alittle more about linux. I did try to install Gentoo, but its ALOT more to it then just pushing enter or hitting yes a few times.

Yeah, Gentoo teaches you alot more about Linux than all of the other distros. Well. Like Mandrake and stuff.

Don't mean to thread crap, but I am a gentoo noob right now. I finally got it up and running, I have kde installed, and now installed and running from Mozilla Firebird. Ah, the joys of learning a new operating system :D.

I currently use mozilla firebird for browsing-- more functional and easier to use than konqueror. I just can't seem to install the flash and shockwave plugins. Is there an RPM package that will allow me to do that without using advanced methods? Also, any RPMs for DVD playback? Thanks!

Sound works
Tv app works
internet works

Spending less and less time on win2000

I downloaded the tar for flash and copied flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so to the plugins folder.

I tried that and it still doesn't work. I extracted the flash file to a directory I created, found both files and copied them both to the plugins folder of mozilla firebird.

Ok.. I found something that you might want to check.

If Flash Player does not work, make sure you have a compatible version of libstdc++ present (libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3). On RedHat based systems, install the package "compat-libstdc++" (Package "compat" on SuSE).

This is from here.

Thanks! I'll try that.

Any tricks on how to make Linux see the files in a cd when placed in the drive? I cant play musci files or DVD movies. I click on the cdrom link on the desktop, the window opens, the drive spins, but no files are visible.

Thanks.

The URPMI tool is great, by the way. No need to untar packages.

Finally got the Cd working. Went to the Konsole and changed to the directory of the cd rom: cd /mnt/cdrom

whew!!

Amazing OS. Made possible through Comcast 3Mbs pipelines. Windows 2000 is taking a back seat to this until Doom3 comes out.

i'm sort of linux noob too - i just starting using fedora a week ago. to get the plugins working in firebird, i just expanded the shock and flash tarballs and ran them in the terminal like this

x# sh flashplayer_installer.bin

and that got me all plugged in.

all i know about linux i've learned from experience or from www.justlinux.com/nhf

Back