Managed switch question...

Dew

2[H]4U
I can get a Dell 5224 for under $400. Its a 24port managed, all gigabit switch. The plan is to use it with 12 Dell 2324 switches(24x 10/100, 2x 1000, dumb switch) connected using the two gigabit ports. This would give the lan, 83Mbits per user, should be more than enough, there is no reason to ever be able to saturate that. (Current lan just employs two 2324s)

I plan on using the 5224 to vlan each 2324 and setting up routes so only the services I want can take place across the lan(Limits the spread of virii, port scanning, hacking, games get high priority, filesharing gets lowest priority(except to one of the official fileservers that host the patches and such), etc).

Is this the correct route, or should I be considering other alterntives?

Just remember you have to go through a Layer 3 device to route any traffic between VLAN's. The 5224 is Layer 2. All the traffic will not be able to communicate with each other unless it goes through a Layer 3 device (VLAN-capable routers are Layer 3).

Good luck with the VLANs though. I could never get them to work properly on the 5212 or 5224. The one time I got them setup properly, the switch failed (and died) 2 months after I finished the config. Dell support is useless when it comes to networking issues.

I was not impressed with that aspect of an otherwise good switch.

I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about routes and priorities. It almost sounds like you're wanting to do full QoS, which the 52xx series will not allow you to configure. VLANs are going to allow you to create separate logical networks for traffic, they dont allow you to prioritize traffic on their own.

So the 5224 can create VLANs but it can't route between them? That's bloody useless for my purposes.

Yup.

The trick is....if you want to route between VLAN's at gig speeds, you're going to have to get a L3 device that can route at gig speeds. Which, in turn, means $$$$$$$$.

Back