Managed Gigabit Switch - Rack Mounted Portable

JayCTN

n00b
Ok, strange request I know... but I need to put a rack mounted 16 or 24 port gigabit managed switch into a Gator rack case like this one:

http://**************/1EQaGsJ

So the switch needs to be less than 19 inches deep... which wouldn't normally be the problem... Tons of managed switches are out there...

But here is the problem, the application we're running has some hard coded VLAN tagging, which can NOT be changed. So the switch must allow me to do 802.1q VLAN tagging on VLAN1 - yeah I know, stupid choice, not mine.

This pulls a lot of cheap inexpensive ebay switches off the list, Dell, HP, TPLINK etc all do not allow you to mess with VLAN1 because nobody in their right mind would want to do that.

I'd rather no break the bank on this, so something cheap that can be picked up off of eBay would be great... There are some cheap 8 port switches from NetGear that do this, but I need more than 8 ports, and I really need the switch to have rack ears for travel, so those aren't an option.

Anybody have any ideas on a switch that would work?

What do you mean tagging on VLAN1? Do you mean 802.1 Q-in-Q? Or just need VLANs setup?

If you just need VLANs setup and you know what they are, any web-managed Smart switch should be able to setup the VLANs you need for your application. Pay for a Layer 3 switch and it can do the routing between VLANs as well, or you can get a cheap UBNT EdgeRouter Lite to do the VLAN routing if the VLANs need to talk.

Your Gator case is 4U, so I'd say use:
*D-Link DGS-1210-28 ($188.99, supports VLANs easily, web-managed)
*UBNT EdgeRoute Lite, if you need VLAN routing ($96)
*1U chassis for EdgeRouter Lite ($30)
*Cyberpower 1U 500VA UPS ($135)

Then you have 1U left over for a short depth server or a patch panel or something. Maybe replace the EdgeRouter with a firewall appliance like Watchguard XTM330. Don't know anymore about the project so I over suggested.

Sorry I wasn't specific enough.

I don't need routing, just a single 1U switch that supports the following:

I need to be able to disable VLAN1 untagged/pvid on most of the ports except for 1, and enable VLAN1 tagging on a couple of ports. The vast majority of low cost 'smart' switches and managed switches do not allow this, including Dell PowerConnect, TP-LINK, HP, etc.

Most of these low cost 'smart' switches default to using VLAN1 as the management VLAN, and prevent you from setting VLAN1 tagging up on any ports. This is normally not a major limitation, but when somebody hands you customized firmware that requires that VLAN1 be used tagged it causes major problems. BTW, the Dlink switch you recommended seems to have this issue so it's a no go.

Cisco Cat gear for the most part will do this... but most of that gear won't fit into a Gator case. Although is somebody is aware of a 24 port gigabit Cisco switch (not rebranded linksys) that runs IOS that is less than 19 inches in depth, that would be perfect.

I'm looking for a cheap (ie ebay for $75 or less) 24 port switch with rack ears. NetGear has some small 5 and 8 port switches that support VLAN1 tagging, but they aren't rack mountable, some of their other 5 and 8 port smart switches have the same problem as above.

It's a PITA, but the devices we're using have customized firmware written by idiots that don't understand networking ;) And have VLAN1 tagging hardcoded into the firmware.

What do you mean tagging on VLAN1? Do you mean 802.1 Q-in-Q? Or just need VLANs setup?

If you just need VLANs setup and you know what they are, any web-managed Smart switch should be able to setup the VLANs you need for your application. Pay for a Layer 3 switch and it can do the routing between VLANs as well, or you can get a cheap UBNT EdgeRouter Lite to do the VLAN routing if the VLANs need to talk.

Your Gator case is 4U, so I'd say use:
*D-Link DGS-1210-28 ($188.99, supports VLANs easily, web-managed)
*UBNT EdgeRoute Lite, if you need VLAN routing ($96)
*1U chassis for EdgeRouter Lite ($30)
*Cyberpower 1U 500VA UPS ($135)

Then you have 1U left over for a short depth server or a patch panel or something. Maybe replace the EdgeRouter with a firewall appliance like Watchguard XTM330. Don't know anymore about the project so I over suggested.

I just configured another new switch and I'm pretty sure I saw all these settings. I have a spare DGS-1210-28 in my office, can you send me a PM with specifics and I will double check this units settings?

never mind I was not right on further research.

Last edited:
You might want to check Zyxel GS1910-series (a lot more capable than 1800-series by HP btw)
I can at least change VLAN etc on mine (GS1910-24) for management (currently using VLAN 3)
//Danne

Cisco Cat gear for the most part will do this... but most of that gear won't fit into a Gator case. Although is somebody is aware of a 24 port gigabit Cisco switch (not rebranded linksys) that runs IOS that is less than 19 inches in depth, that would be perfect.

Catalyst 2960x series are all less than 19" depth

Not sure if it meets your price range though.

There is also the 2960g @ 13" deep http://www.cablesandkits.com/cisco-2960-series-24-port-gigabit-switch-wsc2960g24tcl-p-5315.html or Amazon used http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000C1DZOA/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back