Man Who Uploaded Viral Deadpool Movie to Facebook Sentenced to Prison

lol the government actually thinks that is going to deter people.

Last I checked the Pirate bay is still up and kicking.

Prison for uploading a movie to FB is beyond ridiculous. CI should be a civil fine, ONLY. Prison is for murders and rapist, true dangers to society, ONLY.

Well I’d argue that some serious white collar criminals need to be locked up. Look at Enron and Worldcom and all that shit.

Makes me feel really good to see this happen. The reason people pirate movies and music is because there are no significant consequences. Seems as long as it is not a physical crime, most people think there is no jail time necessary.

Makes me feel really good to see this happen. The reason people pirate movies and music is because there are no significant consequences. Seems as long as it is not a physical crime, most people think there is no jail time necessary.

Eh. In my opinion, civil damages would be adequate. Non-ruinuous civil damages.

Seriously, in my opinion - for a non-commercial violator - even 100 hours of community service would probably do the trick. Costs little to nothing to administer.

OK, so close to 53,000 inmates cleared from the prison tit.

It certainly would fix a lot, but it could be a step in the right direction.

So, you're good with murdering 53000 people, and think it's a step in the right direction.

:facepalm:

You wouldn't have sent Bernie Madoff to prison then?

What about the Enron, Walter Forbes, etc who decimate people's retirement savings?

These examples and the one's that followed deserve prison time because their actions impacted the lives of others. Uploading a movie to facebook only cost the studio money (in theory). In that case some kind of civil fine is more befitting.

Interesting to note that it was the Government who wanted him imprisoned, and not the Hollywood Mafia... Oh yeah, silly me, I forgot...

Perhaps he can use his time in jail to take advantage of the educational facilities and learn to tie his shoes. Oh, velcro, huh.

Bernie Madoff shouldn't be sitting in a cozy prison for what he did; that's not helping anyone he screwed over get their lives back on track. He should be out busting his ass working to pay back every person every cent he stole, the costs of having to make sure he does it, and a little extra because fuck him.

As for this kid, three weeks prison time isn't going to do shit to teach him any lesson, and it's just going to cost taxpayers money to have to deal with him. I've known quite a few people that went away for a year or less for non-violent offenses; Not one of them said "You know what, I don't want to go back there. I'm going to get my shit together." I say garnish a certain percentage of his income and make him do community service on the weekends over the next year or two.

Make all of these people actually benefit the society they took advantage of instead of being a drain on it.

Considering you plead guilty to 6 million+ copyright violations and get a 3 week sentence bodes well for the rest of us and our sometimes meandering morals.

How much time did Zuckerberg get?
He should get life for all the "mistakes" he and his company has made that has destroyed all his user's privacy. Seems every weeks there is some other bug that makes them millions. Also anyone that calls their users dumb for giving personal information that can be used against them for the rest of time deserves a hellacious afterlife.

I see your point and agree to an extent. While a fine would be detrimental to him financially, the lesson wouldn't be learned. Why not have him to Community Service like picking up trash for a couple hundred or even thousand hours. Going to jail for something like that is only going to create a potentially dangerous individual that isn't going to help anybody but himself.

I did 96 hours of community service whilst in high school in the mid 80s. It is a good punishment, for sure.

Considering you plead guilty to 6 million+ copyright violations and get a 3 week sentence bodes well for the rest of us and our sometimes meandering morals.
What? That's some MPAA logic there, he had 1 copyright violation. Other people breaking the law by downloading shouldnt count as a violatiin against him

The reason as I understand it is the victims of those crimes will somehow feel better knowing their enemy is suffering. I've no idea if that's even remotely effective (you can't change the past), seems like a waste of space/money to me...
No. The reason we incarcerate people is to punish them. Life sentences are to protect society from someone that has proven the can't live in civilized society. We don't kill them because sometimes the system gets it wrong and puts an innocent person in prison. You can release someone later if the mistake is discovered, however death is forever. Yes, you can't give them that time back (that they spent unjustly imprisoned), but at least they have what's left, and financial compensation can help.

Oh yea that too for sure... who was that innocent guy who was recently released after he spent like 50 years of a life time sentence. Imagine he must be relieved but a little more than pissed at the mistake. Can you imagine him going on dates and just slaying it with all that pity fuck...

Rob Liefeld will get him out of Prison all this fuss over a fictional character that he created in his late teens.
Deadpool is just as popular as Spiderman was when John Romita took over the helm from Steve Ditko.

Because there was a plea deal, the DA was going after six months.

Immaterial, I was simply correcting someone who sounded like they believed the man was sentenced to six months when he was not.

Furthermore, offers of a plea go before the Judge first and the Judge must sign off on it or it won't happen that way. The prosecution does not sentence the guilty, Judges do.

So, you're good with murdering 53000 people, and think it's a step in the right direction.

:facepalm:

yup, I'm good with it.

Put it on the ballot. Oh, and just for your knowledge, it's not murder, it's capitol punishment. Murder is not sanctioned by the state.

EDIT: Look, if you think I have a calloused view of killing my fellow man, you'd be right. I do, and it's for a reason. I was a soldier for half my adult life. You can't be a soldier and not develop a different benchmark for justifiable homicide. Furthermore, I have very strong feelings on self discipline and doing what is needed, even if it sounds bad. How else can I order a man to be the first to remove his protective mask and be the guinea pig for the group?

Now for the other shoe. Don't think I wanted to kill someone. I've done it before, never want to do it again. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but that doesn't mean I won't do what needs to be done.

So now you can take another look at my original post and understand that for 18 years of my life, killing 5300 people in one shot, that's bonus points. I'd prefer if it was the enemy, but if 5300 must be sacrificed? Well the needs of the many ......

And if a few innocent people have to go for the benefit of all, better you than me, but thems the breaks.

Just so you understand me better.

Last edited:
These examples and the one's that followed deserve prison time because their actions impacted the lives of others. Uploading a movie to facebook only cost the studio money (in theory). In that case some kind of civil fine is more befitting.

Apples and oranges. Look, this young man was charged for a criminal charge, not a civil charge, not a civil law suite where damages are tallied. The punishment in a criminal case can be satisfied by jail time and or monetary fine. The Judge gave him 3 weeks, and there is a decent chance it was time served, meaning he already spent the 3 weeks in jail and the Judge let him go, dept to society paid.

Fact is, now that he has been found guilty, actually he plead guilty, the aggrieved party can still sue him in civil court for damages, and it's all the easier with the government's help laying the ground work.

You can argue a civil fine would be more fitting, what would that come too?
"The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of a copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement is investigated by federal law enforcement agencies and is punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of $250,000."
https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/white-collar-crime/piracy-ip-theft/fbi-anti-piracy-warning-seal

Looks like the Judge's options were up to 5 years in prison and/or up to $250,000. Weighted against 3 weeks in jail. Do you really think the guy was abused here? A 22 year old today can't not know what was up. He was not a child no matter how young an old fart like me sees him .

I'm surprised actually, although the 3 weeks doesn't bother me at all, at least I'm focused on the Federal Felony aspect and the long terms effects this will have on him. I mean really, they couldn't of found a lesser charge with suitable punishment options?

So as I read your post and my reply I see that we have a disconnect but I think we are actually close together on this. The Judge hands down sentence, he doesn't decide what the charges will be. The prosecution does that and they decided to go after this guy with the big bat. With that in mind, the guy got off lucky. But I do agree, they could have gotten their point across without such a heavy handed charge. Unless there isn't a lesser charge that they can use and if that is the case, then the government really needs to take a closer look at this issue and the laws on the books to deal with it.

Back