Man Tests Real Hoverboard

Precisely. He certainly wouldn't be able to go for more than a few seconds.

Aww, I beg to differ : Jet engines are actually pretty efficient when it comes to power/fuel: a few gallons should allow a few minutes of flight time, however you run into the whole fuel=weight thing, so more flight time requires more weight which requires stronger thrust which requires more fuel... etc.

Needless to say: The physics are on the side of this being real, but the mechanical efficiency needed for the device to function as shown would be nothing short of ground-breaking.

Possible the pack he was wearing on his back might have had a camel pack in it full of fuel......... not sure about the added weight from it...... I don't know.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Possible the pack he was wearing on his back might have had a camel pack in it full of fuel......... not sure about the added weight from it...... I don't know.
So not only is he flying around on an experimental platform with 4 jets, but he's wearing jet fuel?! :cool:

So not only is he flying around on an experimental platform with 4 jets, but he's wearing jet fuel?! :cool:

I said possible, didn't say it was probable OR anything else...... I am trying to figure out any way to think of a possibility rather than tear down everything about it.

The same company makes this crazy thing. They obviously have the engineering skill to pull this off. It's merely a change of propulsion method.

use all the balancing thrust controls adaptations they learned doing/making the airboards/flyboards using air and water and they SHOULD be able to adapt jet turbines and remove the necessity of the hose. only issue really, would be is the fuel consumption to flying time ratio.

i'm leaning towards...real.

If they can do this does that mean a Marty Mcfly version that only goes 4 inches above the surface would be much easier/cheaper?

I did notice that.

The video just posted does make it look more real - especially the effect on water.

Uh...no...the effect on the water looks like something done in an afternoon in AE or HitFilm. Especially since it's more of a smoke effect than a water vapor cloud. The initial takeoff shot with water ripples doesn't jive with the amount of thrust required or the wave pattern assuming 4 thrusters. And each 'water cloud' shot cuts away before interacting with the jetski, because that would take more than an afternoon to fake. The shot selection is just a little too convenient. It could be a brilliant promo for the latest compositing plugin tho. Too bad they didn't release the video 8 days earlier.

If they actually ship a real flyboard that flies for 3:55 with a tiny amount of fuel, well...then... I'd be wrong. For the first time eva. ;-)

This appears 100% real from what I've seen. I'm surprised so many people even question it at this point. He has a fuel tank on his back, come on! It's 100% doable in 2016. It's clearly not even the first time the pilots driven it as well. Which IMO is the only thing they're lying about with their "Test 1" claim, Bullshit! That guys definitely flown this UFO many times by now in its 4 years of development. Unless they meant "Test 1" as to the public's response to it.

"The Independent Propulsion Unit represents 4 years of hard work for a result exceeding all records:"

FLYBOARD Air - Zapata Racing

Last edited:
Uh...no...the effect on the water looks like something done in an afternoon in AE or HitFilm. Especially since it's more of a smoke effect than a water vapor cloud. The initial takeoff shot with water ripples doesn't jive with the amount of thrust required or the wave pattern assuming 4 thrusters. And each 'water cloud' shot cuts away before interacting with the jetski, because that would take more than an afternoon to fake. The shot selection is just a little too convenient. It could be a brilliant promo for the latest compositing plugin tho. Too bad they didn't release the video 8 days earlier.

If they actually ship a real flyboard that flies for 3:55 with a tiny amount of fuel, well...then... I'd be wrong. For the first time eva. ;-)

Quoted and Noted: I'll hold you to this.

If they could make it shaped like goku's flying nimbus I bet they could make a bundle.

Reactions: Youn
like this
I'm glad it is real, not believing something is real is not the same as hoping it's not real.

The fact is, such a device is obviously within the envelope of the possible but it's also unlikely. The technology to fake something like this is far more accessible and the incentive to make big splashy hoaxes is significant.

I still like the more traditional "jet pack" look, but that's probably because I played way too much Starsiege:Tribes back in the day...

I guess the same jet engines could be used in a "jet pack" configuration for easier flying.

Not sure if having your back and legs impeding the flow makes it easier, much less fitting all 4 turbines needed for that lift back there.

Not sure if having your back and legs impeding the flow makes it easier, much less fitting all 4 turbines needed for that lift back there.

I agree there could be some issues - especially with heat, but lowering the center of gravity and spreading them out could help - on the other hand, losing an engine when they are in more spread out could be more of a problem.

Back