Man Sues Bethesda Over 'Fallout 4' Addiction

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you lost your "health, job and wife" after a only a three week Fallout 4 bender, you were probably on the verge of losing all those things already. If this guy wins, Bethesda should be ordered to pay him in caps.

Supposedly, the man went on a 3-week gaming marathon that cost him his health, job and wife. Had he known how alluring it was, he says, he would have either waited until the holidays to buy the game or avoided it entirely. We've reached out to Bethesda to both confirm the lawsuit and get its take on the claims.

Last edited:
If you lost your "health, job and wife" after a only a three week Fallout 4 bender, you were probably on the verge of losing all those things already. If he wins, Bethesda should be ordered to pay him in caps.

Supposedly, the man went on a 3-week gaming marathon that cost him his health, job and wife. Had he known how alluring it was, he says, he would have either waited until the holidays to buy the game or avoided it entirely. We've reached out to Bethesda to both confirm the lawsuit and get its take on the claims.

I'm sick and tired of assholes like this who have no personal accountability. I hope they fine the shit out of him for this garbage.

hard to believe we are apart of the same species, sometimes it is just to weird to think about lol

dumb ass hole

I mean anyone can sue for any reason. I could sue Steve because of my time wasted on this site. The court case would be issued and it would then be public record. I wouldn't win but at the stage he is at, is easy and costs what bout $200 to initiate? He is either desperate for attention and doing it for the LOLs or really is the type of person that thinks every bad thing in his life is someone else's fault.

He might have a good case. What if a Bethesda employee was making him do this at gunpoint?
OK, back to reality. How/why would you waste money on something like this? The lawyer fee would have to be payed up front since there is no chance of winning.
Maybe he has lots of cash to burn.

I'm sick and tired of assholes like this who have no personal accountability. I hope they fine the shit out of him for this garbage.

Hey man, don't push your outdated bigoted socialophobic normatives on us. The DSM-5 lists Internet Gaming Disorder as a very real concern. Why it's right up there with Caffeine Use Disorder. This man deserves real treatment, and he should not be burdened by the cost of having to shoulder such a disorder. If you won't look out for the victims of this world, then someone else will. Not me, I'm really busy being a social justice warrior (and also I need my money, cause I worked for it), but someone else will take care of these poor souls.

Actually I hope they just give him a free DLC pack (so he gets addicted again)

So I just read the rest of the article. Somebody won against NCsoft for L2?

OK, well.... I have to go with Savi on what he said.......

hard to believe we are apart of the same species, sometimes it is just to weird to think about lol

dumb ass hole

You are "apart" of the same species? It's also "too" weird for you to think about.

I think we can all see the effect predominantly playing computer games has had on you.

Hopefully this guy wins so we can all laugh at him for losing his health/job & wife.

It was most likely the fact he had chosen to spend three weeks on such a shitcake game that his wife chose to leave him.....not the fact he was playing for three weeks. Afterall he's been playing for years since they married.

He's soon to also lose his money too. On a failed endeavour to sue a company for his own failings...

So, does this count as poetic justice?

What a dick, hope he has got his power Armour on to deflect all the Fallout that will come his way !!

This guy is an idiot, even if this claims weren't absolutely crazy Bethesda has enough money to hire the best possible lawyers. The US justice system is such that you can't win vs a big corporation because even if you're in the right you keep the trial going forever until you're in debt up to your eyeballs.

Had he known how alluring it was, he says, he would have either waited until the holidays to buy the game or avoided it entirely.[/I]

Waited for the holidays huh? That would have solved everything.

I'm sure Bethesda wont make him pay attorney fees when he loses. This kind of publicity is priceless. :D

You know, if this was an MMO with a persistent world and he was trying to quit but kept receiving persistent invites to come back - I'd actually buy the 'got me addicted'.

But Fallout 4 is not that. It doesn't have a persistent world that goes on without your input, it's very much a singleplayer game, a game world that relies solely on the individual's participation. I'm not receiving bait e-mails from Bethesda saying to come back to my world of FO4, I'm going back to it on my own free will.

I'm sure there's an underlying reason why this guy's life fell apart and I highly doubt it was FO4 that caused it. If I were to guess - it's probably hookers and crank.

Try moderation. Us "adults" have no problem with this concept.

Now that's just crazy talk ... next you will suggest that people are responsible for their own choices and the consequences of those choices ... where will this madness end :D

Who knows, if this lawsuit is successful maybe alcoholics and smokers can start suing Alcohol and Tobacco manufacturers for their addictiveness.

Hey man, don't push your outdated bigoted socialophobic normatives on us. The DSM-5 lists Internet Gaming Disorder as a very real concern. Why it's right up there with Caffeine Use Disorder. This man deserves real treatment, and he should not be burdened by the cost of having to shoulder such a disorder. If you won't look out for the victims of this world, then someone else will. Not me, I'm really busy being a social justice warrior (and also I need my money, cause I worked for it), but someone else will take care of these poor souls.

Not sure if serious? (Anyone else know if this guy is serious?)

Surely not. I choose to believe it was sarcasm.

It totally thought this was a CUG post!

Sounds like a total tool. I've had the game for 3 weeks and have played about 6 hours. But...job, family, holidays, home projects, other hobbies, and writing a novel.

Games CAN be addicting, I get it, but c'mon man...

If you lost your "health, job and wife" after a only a three week Fallout 4 bender, you were probably on the verge of losing all those things already. If this guy wins, Bethesda should be ordered to pay him in caps.

I tend to fall on teh side of the game makers. After all, don't we want games that we want to play? That said, this is an issue that CS ethicists were discussing at least 20 years ago. As for those saying, well just have some self control, that's kinda the issue with addictive personalities, they have problems with self-control.

I can recall a student that went from Harvard to a state school to drop out because of Muds (text MMORPGs). I saw this person, and others, walk into computer lab in the evening and play all night long (I was working on projects). They might as well have been doing Coke (though I guess MUDs were cheaper).

Just think about the amount of similar stories we'll get if VR finally takes off with Oculus, Vive, and their ilk.

Now that's just crazy talk ... next you will suggest that people are responsible for their own choices and the consequences of those choices ... where will this madness end :D

Haa haa. I know exactly what you mean. :p

I mean anyone can sue for any reason. I could sue Steve because of my time wasted on this site. The court case would be issued and it would then be public record. I wouldn't win but at the stage he is at, is easy and costs what bout $200 to initiate? He is either desperate for attention and doing it for the LOLs or really is the type of person that thinks every bad thing in his life is someone else's fault.
Probably wouldn't even get a day in court unless your claim was really well written, judge would look at it and throw it out but it would still be part of the public record.

This guy is an idiot, even if this claims weren't absolutely crazy Bethesda has enough money to hire the best possible lawyers. The US justice system is such that you can't win vs a big corporation because even if you're in the right you keep the trial going forever until you're in debt up to your eyeballs.

And the best lawyers will tell Bethesda to settle and sweep this under the rug. It seems no one posting understands how these lawsuits work. I've had to deal with 3 now, and it's always in the best interest to settle early because you end up spending more in lawyers fees to "win" the lawsuit... unfortunately.

Yea they can, remember a women sued Mcdonalds after you put a hot cup of coffee between her legs like an idiot and burned her self when she squeezed. Was also a guy in brazil that sued mcdonalds as well for gaining 60 pounds when he worked there for 12 years, he won sadly.

So people can sue anyone for the stupidest reasons and win.

Yea they can, remember a women sued Mcdonalds after you put a hot cup of coffee between her legs like an idiot and burned her self when she squeezed. Was also a guy in brazil that sued mcdonalds as well for gaining 60 pounds when he worked there for 12 years, he won sadly.

Everyone jokes about the McDonald's coffee lawsuit but it did have some validity ... at the time they assumed that mobile drivers were not going to drink the coffee right away so it was well above the temperature that could be drank immediately ... because of the high temperature when she spilled it she experienced severe burns on her legs that required extensive medical treatment ... that said, the people who sue Mickey Ds for making them fat are the same bottom feeding scum as the FO gamer suing Beth

My guess is this creature is a drain on all who are unfortunate enough to come in contact with him. We'd all be better off if he just killed himself.

Look into the final resolution on the McDonald's case. They lady lost on appeal. McDonald's did choose to lower the temperature of the coffee. People need to be responsible, I mean if they threw it at her or something, yes McD's would be in the wrong. But people have to have some responsibility.

Back