Man Sues Apple for Terminating Account with $25,000 in Purchases

I wonder but could he perchance have set-up up his account on a new device that he gave to someone (a relative, friend, etc.) that may have abused the ToS? Could they possibly have seen his account logged in and being used in multiple, let's say three locations: Cell, Home, and some other location that's different from the billing address simultaneously (different ISP possibly)? I don't know if any of this is possible, or if that scenario would be a violation of the ToS or if that would even work, then again I don't know the extent of Apple's control or snooping either.

If none of this is this case, I hope he wins.
No. You as a single owner can sign into multiple devices if you want. It’s not uncommon for Apple users to have an iPad or a MacBook all of which use the same AppleID.

Even in the case of ‘sharing’ there is an Apple family sharing option to allow others in your family to gain access to content. Mostly music/movie purchases but other things as well. I don’t know all the details as I don’t use it, but a quick skim of their page on it would likely give all the most pertinent info.

No one could buy it again, and if you deleted the copy you bought, you couldn’t even re-download it.
That's interesting, because Google Play (and, IIRC, Steam), will still let you redownload apps you'd bought even if they get pulled from the store.

don’t know that I’d call buying physical copies of console games “owning” then these days. Probably all the way back to later Xbox 360 and ps3 games. Once you got to the point where patches and dlc were dependent on the company running the storefront and providing the downloads, it becomes entirely up to MS, Sony, Nintendo as to whether you can still get your games.

I bought the TMNT arcade game release on Xbox 360 when it came out. But then Microsoft or whoever lost the distribution rights for it, so it got pulled from the store. No one could buy it again, and if you deleted the copy you bought, you couldn’t even re-download it. I’m not sure what I bought if that’s the case. It was more like an unlimited term rental that could be revoked at any time.

I’d agree with this. As far as owning digital media goes, it’s got to be a storefront where you can download a copy of whatever it is you’ve purchased - music, movie, game - and then play it without it needing to check in with any kind of service at all. Ever.

so we’ve got various music stores where you get MP3s or Flac files. That’s ownership I think. And sites like GoG for PC games.

there absolutely should be provisions baked into digital storefronts to account for this. If an account can be banned, then that ban should still allow you to log in and access all media you’ve “purchased.” Alternately the company needs to provide you a refund for everything they’ve taken away from you.

more likely they’ll change the terminology and say they’re no longer purchases for ownership but an access fee for a license or some other nonsense, and most people won’t ever notice.

Far as consoles go, I think the last gen where you could say you clearly owned the games were PS2 / GameCube / Xbox. As soon as everything started tying into online services and day one patches for game-breaking bugs became a thing, that was the end.
MK trilogy got pulled and I could still download it the last time I fired up my Xbox 360.

Also my PSX, PS2, N64, sega, 32x, sega Cd, NES, SNES all have no updates. Xbox 360 and PS3 are mostly RPGs because they’re games I haven’t gotten around to.

Finally when the servers do come down and they eventually will I do believe someone will have the files to make the games work. It’s a big part of video game documentation for the future. If I can’t play COD:MW on my 360 I don’t really care as that was an online multiplayer game that people quit playing years ago (I know they did a remake I own it but I’m talking about the original).

That said I’d be surprised if my ME games or bioshock didn’t work. At least the first 2.

I’m also into supporting these guys for the reasons above.
https://www.themade.org/about

While I personally agree with you 100%. The DMCA would vehemently disagree. The bastards won't be happy until fair use is dead and cold.
It more of publishers and content owners. They want you to own nothing and have you pay a sub everything for the rest of your life.

1_rick Krazy925 yeah I was not thrilled by it. I had deleted it by accident when I was trying to make space on my 360 and learned about the de-listing.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...9-arcade/a65bc8ef-638f-494d-b014-f1ae01ca726e

And despite what people thought at the time, they’re just gone:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-turtles/5b547110-e59c-487f-8385-b00858720c4a

Also my PSX, PS2, N64, sega, 32x, sega Cd, NES, SNES all have no updates. Xbox 360 and PS3 are mostly RPGs because they’re games I haven’t gotten around to.

Well, sure. Like I said, it started around the 360 / PS3. Earlier physical copies were pretty clear cases of ownership.

Finally when the servers do come down and they eventually will I do believe someone will have the files to make the games work

but “someone finding a way to make it work” is not the same thing as “you bought a game and have been provided the thing you bought to play whenever you like.”

it’s more of a “maybe I can download a working copy of this game I own from somewhere because the legit copy I own isn’t playable anymore.”

there’s a pretty big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
1_rick Krazy925 yeah I was not thrilled by it. I had deleted it by accident when I was trying to make space on my 360 and learned about the de-listing.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...9-arcade/a65bc8ef-638f-494d-b014-f1ae01ca726e

And despite what people thought at the time, they’re just gone:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-turtles/5b547110-e59c-487f-8385-b00858720c4a

Well, sure. Like I said, it started around the 360 / PS3. Earlier physical copies were pretty clear cases of ownership.

but “someone finding a way to make it work” is not the same thing as “you bought a game and have been provided the thing you bought to play whenever you like.”

it’s more of a “maybe I can download a working copy of this game I own from somewhere because the legit copy I own isn’t playable anymore.”

there’s a pretty big difference.
I dunno. I have a brand new sealed copy of COD:BO from like 2010 and I bet it would be a pain to get it to work.

I don’t even have a disc drive on my PC lol

I try to stick to GOTY versions but I gotta be honest I own every AC, ME, bioshock, kingdom hearts and a lot of big titles. Ive never played any of them.

Funny enough I think I kept TMNT when I copied my vanilla 360 to the elite one 5 years ago. I wouldn’t know though because I haven’t even plugged in that Xbox since I bought it and copied the drive lol.

Im more annoyed at my Xbox games not being compatible with my 360. I’m not gonna buy an OG XBOX though.

When epic games decided to kill off Paragon (fps/moba hybrid), they refunded all of your purchases back into epic store credits I believe.

Just wanted to toss a stone from the epic side, although I do not forgive them for ruining Paragon once they brought tencent into the fold. It was fun when it was more fps and less moba.

If I recall correctly, Bioshock 2 used Games for Windows Live, which shut down.

I owned the game legitimately, but on launch it would check for GFWL servers (which were bust) and the game would crash.

I ended up having to find a cracked exe file just to play the game I legally owned.

That's interesting, because Google Play (and, IIRC, Steam), will still let you redownload apps you'd bought even if they get pulled from the store.

In my decade on Google Play this is true up to a certain time - eventually the app becomes delisted from the store even for purchasers when the app or the dev account isn't updated to comply with something new Google mandates or the app has an online kill switch/authentication so redownloading doesn't help anyway

if you don't have a physical copy of it that you can install and use right away, i am going to say you are not really the owner...

Apple needs to give him his purchased items or refund the purchase price

That's what he gets for thinking he owns anything in the new normal.

The new normal where the corporate central authority can revoke your access at any moment for any reason or no reason.

I for one welcome to our new technocratic corporate overlords! More bug slurry please?
Look at Mr. Moneybags over there with bug slurry, I can only afford the Algae paste.

The closest brick-and-mortar analogy I can come up with is your son gets caught shoplifting from Best Buy, so they come in and take back the refrigerator, washer, dryer, and cell phones you bought there.

If Apple, Steam, whoever bans you, they should refund all the money they've taken from you.
Unless it involves illegal actions taken by the customer, and as ordered by the court, I totally agree. It's not apples fucking money. It's his fucking money. And it's his fucking property. Apple is strictly it's custodian.

Here goes Apple again, and yet another big pile of shit that it doesn't need to.

On the other hand, I also feel that we are not getting the whole story here.

I don't know.

If it was a clear violation of the TOS that resulted in the termination of the account, it seems legit.

You have to agree to these terms in order to use the account, so I don't really see what legal leg he has to stand on.

I don't think we know enough about what happened to make that determination.

And yikes. $25k of apps/media? 😳
I do. If Apple actually has written itself the right to do this, this is an abusive terms of service.

Unless it involves illegal actions taken by the customer, and as ordered by the court, I totally agree. It's not apples fucking money. It's his fucking money. And it's his fucking property. Apple is strictly it's custodian.

Here goes Apple again, and yet another big pile of shit that it doesn't need to.

On the other hand, I also feel that we are not getting the whole story here.
You're right... many people want this guy to be a martyr to fit their existing anti-Apple narrative, and I don't think it's quite that clear-cut. Whatever Apple's TOS are like, it's still pretty rare for the company to give someone the boot this way. I doubt this man just committed a minor infraction.

To be clear: I do think we need to reconsider how we handle digital purchases, just that we shouldn't rush to declare this a horrible injustice.

You're right... many people want this guy to be a martyr to fit their existing anti-Apple narrative, and I don't think it's quite that clear-cut. Whatever Apple's TOS are like, it's still pretty rare for the company to give someone the boot this way. I doubt this man just committed a minor infraction.

To be clear: I do think we need to reconsider how we handle digital purchases, just that we shouldn't rush to declare this a horrible injustice.
Nah Apple just randomly bans people that spend that kinda scratch on their store. It's part of the culture or something.

Even though it makes shit sense from a business perspective Apple must be doing it because they can't do anything right /s

I'm still under the impression the guy was probably using stolen/fraudulent iTunes giftcards. I really want to see how this one shakes out.

Nah Apple just randomly bans people that spend that kinda scratch on their store. It's part of the culture or something.

Even though it makes shit sense from a business perspective Apple must be doing it because they can't do anything right /s

I'm still under the impression the guy was probably using stolen/fraudulent iTunes giftcards. I really want to see how this one shakes out.
This guy is in the news because he’s trying to sue but Apple has recently banned thousands of accounts in a crack down on accounts that have redeemed a large number of iTunes cards obtained through scams. Maybe he’s an unfortunate victim and he was unknowingly purchasing stolen cards but I doubt it.

This guy is in the news because he’s trying to sue but Apple has recently banned thousands of accounts in a crack down on accounts that have redeemed a large number of iTunes cards obtained through scams. Maybe he’s an unfortunate victim and he was unknowingly purchasing stolen cards but I doubt it.
He innocently bought $25k in iTunes gift cards lol.

People wanna grab their pitch forks before the actual information is revealed.

He innocently bought $25k in iTunes gift cards lol.

People wanna grab their pitch forks before the actual information is revealed.
Honestly, probably still worthy enough to take Apple to court. Firstly because Apple didn't tell him what he's done, and secondly because Apple has condemned someone who bought the cards and not the people that sold them. He probably knew that something wasn't right about those cards but it really wasn't his responsibility.

Honestly, probably still worthy enough to take Apple to court. Firstly because Apple didn't tell him what he's done, and secondly because Apple has condemned someone who bought the cards and not the people that sold them. He probably knew that something wasn't right about those cards but it really wasn't his responsibility.
Ehhh according to him Apple didn’t warn him.

My hope (if I was him) would be Apple would settle. $25k is a lot of money to us. Apples legal department probably doesn’t file anything for less than 10x that amount.

You’re basing that on a one sided court filing. I’ll keep my eye on this as it works it’s way around because I do strongly suspect there was probably some kind of infraction system. I also doubt that someone buying stolen iTunes gift cards would be shocked to find out they’re stolen when you’re getting them for way below market price.

We have no choice in how digital purchases are handle. Companies been training people to make this the new normal. They want you to own nothing and pay a recurring subscription fee for the right to use their product. Ffs cars are starting to come with subs to turn on features.

We have no choice in how digital purchases are handle. Companies been training people to make this the new normal. They want you to own nothing and pay a recurring subscription fee for the right to use their product. Ffs cars are starting to come with subs to turn on features.
Subscriptions to me are fine if they offer things you couldn't realistically get with purchases. I know I don't own my music, but there's no way I'm going to spend a hundred-plus each month just making sure I have all the albums and singles I want to listen to. And if it's a service that costs significant money to operate on a sustained basis... well, one-and-done payments aren't always easy to justify.

However, I do think some companies are trying to milk subscriptions unnecessarily. Adobe and Microsoft in particular are charging for software that used to be tied to single purchases, and in some cases still is. There are some benefits to subscriptions (always having the latest version, cloud storage, that sort of thing), but it really boils down to "steady, recurring revenue looks much better on our balance sheets."

Back