Man Sentenced to Prison for Excessive Calls and Texts

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
They are obsessions and then they are obsessions and this one definitely qualifies as one if anything ever will. A jilted lover in France made 21,807 calls and texts to his ex-girlfriend over the course of a ten month period. His ex was not amused and neither was the court. He was sentenced to prison for ten months, an appropriate sentence don’t you think? :D

The barrage amounted to more than 70 messages and calls a day.

10 Months and 13k..Seems excessive when according to the article all he wanted was a little gratitude out of her for work he was performing and when he got it he stopped. Again that is assuming the article is factual as stands.

"At the time, my logic was that as long as she does not return my money, pay me for my work or at least tell me thank you, I would not stop my calls"

The defendant did not stop calling the victim until she finally thanked him for the housework.
So all she had to do was pay him or text him back "thanks".

Talk about two extremely pig headed stubborn people... sounds like they were a match made in heaven.

Ahh.. seems a bit severe..

virginia_tv_cbs_6_meteorologist_aaron_justus_wea.jpg

how about just banning him from having a cell phone??

Some women can be so ungrateful. I made breakfast this morning. Instead of thanking me, she screams, "who are you? how did you get in my house? :p

She couldn't change her number after a week?

I would have.

i block numbers after i get one call from a telemarketer.

seems pretty easy to do.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind needs to be real for stuff like this. You're fucked if you fall in love with a girl who wants nothing to do with you.

Changed her number, started calling her at work.
Most places I've worked for would have you fired for getting so many personal calls, stalker or not.
Really, history of depression? Guy has established mental problems.
Wants paid or a thank you for the work he did in THEIR apartment? Not happening, ever. No female on this planet says thanks even if you kill yourself trying to please her, ever, at least ones I've met. Hell the women in my FAMILY expect you to drop everything, come running, and work yourself to death at a moment's notice. I've spent weeks of my free time painting, laying cement, building new stairs for the porch, cleaning, moving appliances, running electrical outlets, doing plumbing work, ect, for my GRANDMOTHER and never got a dime or thank you. Just move on, forget it. Totally not worth it.
Seriously though, dude is a total stalker. If he felt that strongly he should have taken her ass to court.

Damn, my wife gets 70 texts from her various family members before lunch everyday.

Are you saying jail is an option??? ^_^

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind needs to be real for stuff like this. You're fucked if you fall in love with a girl who wants nothing to do with you.

HAHA! Men don't fall in love. They get infatuated and maybe obsessed or they make it into some goal and game, but men are incapable of feeling actual love. They'd be very different creatures if they could.

Yup, can't refute the point I was making so instead, we turn to deflection by insult. :p Sorry, but if you've dealt with enough men and are willing to see them with a perspective that, at least for a few moments, detaches your sensible thoughts from your emotions to eliminate as much personal bias as possible, you'll understand that what I'm saying is true. It might even be that a part of you has already reached the same conclusion. I think so given the defensive, anger-charged and insult-laced nature of your reply.

In fairness, you did Troll the entire male gender by accusing all men of being incapable of the true emotion of Love ... there are certainly sociopaths in the world (of both sexes) that are incapable of the empathy needed for true love ... there are also many people who are able to truly care for another (regardless of the gender of either partner) ... our mammalian ability to attach ourselves to one person is one of the reasons that we are the dominant species on the planet ;)

In fairness, you did Troll the entire male gender by accusing all men of being incapable of the true emotion of Love ... there are certainly sociopaths in the world (of both sexes) that are incapable of the empathy needed for true love ... there are also many people who are able to truly care for another (regardless of the gender of either partner) ... our mammalian ability to attach ourselves to one person is one of the reasons that we are the dominant species on the planet ;)

No wai, I didn't. I'm just saying that, in the guy brain, there really isn't something that's identifiable as an emotion that anyone can rightfully call love which makes it impossible for men to fall in love with someone and call them incessantly so they get arrested. It's just a matter of biology and if they're psycho calling someone, it's not love, but something else.

No wai, I didn't. I'm just saying that, in the guy brain, there really isn't something that's identifiable as an emotion that anyone can rightfully call love which makes it impossible for men to fall in love with someone and call them incessantly so they get arrested. It's just a matter of biology and if they're psycho calling someone, it's not love, but something else.

Obsession is a form of insanity that both men and women are capable of (men are a little more possessive in nature so they may have a higher susceptibility but obsession is a form of mental illness and most people are not mentally ill ;) )

Obsession is a form of insanity that both men and women are capable of (men are a little more possessive in nature so they may have a higher susceptibility but obsession is a form of mental illness and most people are not mentally ill ;) )

I dunno about men being more prone to be obsessed over stuff. I think that might depend more on the specific something being obsessed about. Most people will get a little obsessed about something, but that doesn't make them crazy-cakes. Then again, I think it's pretty safe to say everyone is mentally ill to some extent. Some of us just hide it better than others so we pass ourselves off as only as insane as most other people so that makes us okay to let wander around loose in society.

I bet she took his virginity and she was something else in bed. And the girls he has been with since her are BORING!!!!!

Sec. 53a-181c. Stalking in the first degree: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of stalking in the first degree when such person commits stalking in the second degree as provided in section 53a-181d and (1) such person has previously been convicted of a violation of section 53a-181d, or (2) such conduct violates a court order in effect at the time of the offense, or (3) the other person is under sixteen years of age.

(b) Stalking in the first degree is a class D felony.

********************************************************************************************************

Sec. 53a-181d. Stalking in the second degree: Class A misdemeanor. (a) For the purposes of this section, “course of conduct” means two or more acts, including, but not limited to, acts in which a person directly, indirectly or through a third party, by any action, method, device or means, (1) follows, lies in wait for, monitors, observes, surveils, threatens, harasses, communicates with or sends unwanted gifts to, a person, or (2) interferes with a person’s property.

(b) A person is guilty of stalking in the second degree when:

(1) Such person knowingly engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to fear for such person’s physical safety or the physical safety of a third person; or

(2) Such person intentionally, and for no legitimate purpose, engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to fear that such person’s employment, business or career is threatened, where (A) such conduct consists of the actor telephoning to, appearing at or initiating communication or contact at such other person’s place of employment or business, provided the actor was previously and clearly informed to cease such conduct, and (B) such conduct does not consist of constitutionally protected activity.

(c) Stalking in the second degree is a class A misdemeanor.

********************************************************************************************************
If it went to trial... any jury member clearly thinking would say why did his ex-girlfriend allowed it to go way beyond the legal requirement of two acts. Case dismissed. ;)

Damn, my wife gets 70 texts from her various family members before lunch everyday.

Are you saying jail is an option??? ^_^

Seriously! I know quite a few people that would fit this 'level of use' and heck I'm such a nice guy I'd even drive them to lockup myself!

10 months of not paying rent (probably losing his place), not making income (no job on way out), not paying bills (credit destroyed), arrest record (nearly unemployable in any professional establishment) - plus, you know, you can't get that life time back.

Because of what is ultimately a nuisance. One that could have been solved with 1 call to the telco to block all further calls from number X to either her number or her employer's number.

I'd say it's excessive. Even unconstitutional (I'd label it cruel and unusual - given its lack of proportionality).

-scheherazade

I don't know where those news links come from, but as usual they are both inaccurate and misleading.

Even stupid Huffington Post seems to have done basic jay-jay:

According to the Agence France-Presse, the 33-year-old man, who has not been named, was slapped with a 10-month prison sentence (six of which were suspended) and a $1,300 fine this week after hounding his ex with the deluge of texts and calls over a 10-month period following their breakup in 2011.

"At the time, my logic was that until she returned the money ... or at least said thank you, I would not stop the calls," he told the court in Lyon Thursday, per France 24.

He is said to have called his ex, on average, 73 times a day.

"She tried to block her line, but he phoned her parents instead and at her workplace," said Manuella Spee, the plaintiff's lawyer, per Radio France Internationale, adding that the woman "suffered a lot."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/06/man-jailed-calling-ex_n_5777946.html

lol, pwnt

Changed her number, started calling her at work.
Most places I've worked for would have you fired for getting so many personal calls, stalker or not.
Really, history of depression? Guy has established mental problems.
Wants paid or a thank you for the work he did in THEIR apartment? Not happening, ever. No female on this planet says thanks even if you kill yourself trying to please her, ever, at least ones I've met. Hell the women in my FAMILY expect you to drop everything, come running, and work yourself to death at a moment's notice. I've spent weeks of my free time painting, laying cement, building new stairs for the porch, cleaning, moving appliances, running electrical outlets, doing plumbing work, ect, for my GRANDMOTHER and never got a dime or thank you. Just move on, forget it. Totally not worth it.
Seriously though, dude is a total stalker. If he felt that strongly he should have taken her ass to court.

There is a phrase for those..It's "Ungrateful bitch". And no, it shouldn't be excused, tolerated or allowed. That isn't to say I expect a thank you every single time I do something for my wife, but she knows like I know when it is appropriate. Apparently we were just raised not to be worthless.

Yep he is a stalker, but I'm betting that street ran both ways. Either way stalker or not the jail time and fine are just outright excessive. I could see jail time 'IF and only IF" there was a legitimate threat to her proven. Otherwise the $13k fine should of been more than sufficient.

Yep he is a stalker, but I'm betting that street ran both ways. Either way stalker or not the jail time and fine are just outright excessive. I could see jail time 'IF and only IF" there was a legitimate threat to her proven. Otherwise the $13k fine should of been more than sufficient.
lol, how does harassment clearly done by one party "run both ways", except in the most misogynist fantasies?

1) it was a $1300 fine, not $13000
2) he was given a 10 month sentence, with 6 months of it suspended
3) he was convicted of harassing her (at her own number, at her work and via her parents), and ordered to no longer contact here... you know, like a stalker would be ordered to.

The news here sometimes really sucks.

lol, how does harassment clearly done by one party "run both ways", except in the most misogynist fantasies?

1) it was a $1300 fine, not $13000
2) he was given a 10 month sentence, with 6 months of it suspended
3) he was convicted of harassing her (at her own number, at her work and via her parents), and ordered to no longer contact here... you know, like a stalker would be ordered to.

The news here sometimes really sucks.

Cute, but read the article if you want to know why I think there might of been problems on both sides. Said 13k in the article when I read it, unless it was a typo and they fixed it. Either way Unless there was a "Proven" threat of harm to her (and we don't know there might of been) jail time is excessive. I'm going off the article being factually accurate which may or may not be the case. Either way, speculation.

There is a phrase for those..It's "Ungrateful bitch". And no, it shouldn't be excused, tolerated or allowed. That isn't to say I expect a thank you every single time I do something for my wife, but she knows like I know when it is appropriate. Apparently we were just raised not to be worthless.

You're betting that street ran both ways because of your clearly misogynistic viewpoint. You look at a clear psycho harassing someone for 10 months over a thank you, and somehow think it's rational because it's against an "ungrateful bitch". If it had been a guy that hadn't simply said thank you, I'm willing to bet your reaction wouldn't have been the same at all.

You're betting that street ran both ways because of your clearly misogynistic viewpoint. You look at a clear psycho harassing someone for 10 months over a thank you, and somehow think it's rational because it's against an "ungrateful bitch". If it had been a guy that hadn't simply said thank you, I'm willing to bet your reaction wouldn't have been the same at all.

You would be completely wrong. A bunch of you keep using the term misogynist around these forums and I frankly doubt many of you actually know how to properly use it. That just seems to be the defacto word to throw out when you want to either white knight or don't have a sufficient argument. Read what I said and come back with a better retort, I never said what he did was rational, nor did I say he wasn't a clear mentally ill stalker. I simply stated the article "AS IT WAS WRITTEN" implies there is far more to the story than is being told. I stated that based on that Prison time was excessive. I would have stated that no matter the sexes involved, though we all know that had it been female that she never would of been sentenced to actual jail time. You can argue "misogynist" all you want but the reality is there are dual standards and that is a flat out fact. I mean hell since a couple of you are clearly trying to make this into a sexist issue, why not bring race into it and lets just go for the full list of stupid assumptions.:rolleyes:

Couldn't she just use the block feature?

Cute, but read the article if you want to know why I think there might of been problems on both sides. Said 13k in the article when I read it, unless it was a typo and they fixed it. Either way Unless there was a "Proven" threat of harm to her (and we don't know there might of been) jail time is excessive. I'm going off the article being factually accurate which may or may not be the case. Either way, speculation.
The article is trash, the article itself links to the guardian which actually reports all that.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/05/man-jailed-phoning-texting-ex-21807-times
The person that put it up on mashable didn't bother to to properly tell the story just wanted a quick post for clicks.

10 Months and 13k..Seems excessive when according to the article all he wanted was a little gratitude out of her for work he was performing and when he got it he stopped. Again that is assuming the article is factual as stands.
It's called small claims court, i'm sure they have something like that in France. But harassing her unrelentingly then her parents and work when she blocks him is flat out psycho.

I wish they would do this to whoever owns 'Card member services' that keeps calling my house every week!

Back