Man, I miss power supply deals

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
I stocked up on power supplies to use for builds about 18 months ago. I'm now out of them, and need to get some more. However, the current prices are crazy.

I went back through my saved invoices and was shocked at how cheap I was getting them. This EVGA 750w GOLD was $30 AR, and I remember getting the 650w equivalent for $20 AR, on the same invoice:

https://slickdeals.net/e/12344482-e...search_rev1&src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

I also remember stocking up on EVGA 500w bronze units, shipped from EVGA, for $19. I picked up four of those. Now, good luck finding one under $50.

Try being in Canada. There are sometimes HUNDREDS of dollars difference between the USD and the CAD price on power supplies above 1200w.

$50 for a moderately decent PSU is a good price. $30 shipped is a really good deal but I don't consider main in rebates in the final price; if you get it then great. Why were they that low? EVGA have some massive quality control issue on a batch and do a fire sale? Massive over supply in the market?

I keep reusing power supplies to the point I'm afraid to check how ancient some of them are. I just haven't been convinced that there's been any breakthroughs in PSU tech, and they seem to last forever.

Personally, I also never touch rebates on principle. Half the time I end up missing a hoop to jump and don't get the refund into my bank account.

I keep reusing power supplies to the point I'm afraid to check how ancient some of them are. I just haven't been convinced that there's been any breakthroughs in PSU tech, and they seem to last forever.

Personally, I also never touch rebates on principle. Half the time I end up missing a hoop to jump and don't get the refund into my bank account.
They do seem to last a long time. Though capacitor age/dry out seems to be the most common cause of death.

I still have a PSU in an old Pentium 200 that looks perfect and works. And an FSP 300W that I bought for my Celeron 300A build in 1999 that works great. Everything since then has died. :/

Try being in Canada. There are sometimes HUNDREDS of dollars difference between the USD and the CAD price on power supplies above 1200w.

ive seen it.. a cheap 4 port hub on amazon.com is 20 bucks, same exact one on amazon.ca is 40, when the currency exchange should only make it 25..
its all those hidden taxes, the food prices would tell a story too.

PSUs dont seem to get the coverage as much anymore, especially when people are dropping north of a grand on video cards.

ive seen it.. a cheap 4 port hub on amazon.com is 20 bucks, same exact one on amazon.ca is 40, when the currency exchange should only make it 25..
its all those hidden taxes, the food prices would tell a story too.

PSUs dont seem to get the coverage as much anymore, especially when people are dropping north of a grand on video cards.

I buy used units on eBay. Managed to snag EVGA 1300w and 1600w units for $100 each. Just luck, I suppose.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Holy crap, I wish I'd known about that deal sooner. A while back I settled for a group-regulated EVGA 500 watter for a quarantine boredom-inspired Frankenputer because anything I'd normally snag would cost tens of dollars more and would take an indeterminate amount of time to get here. I might grab that and pop the EVGA into my closet as a backup. Thank you.

edit: Word is these aren't great after all. :-\

Holy crap, I wish I'd known about that deal sooner. A while back I settled for a group-regulated EVGA 500 watter for a quarantine boredom-inspired Frankenputer because anything I'd normally snag would cost tens of dollars more and would take an indeterminate amount of time to get here. I might grab that and pop the EVGA into my closet as a backup. Thank you.

edit: Word is these aren't great after all. :-\

That doesn't tell you anything other than some random guy in a forum doesn't like it claiming that it's a fake 80+ gold rating. He never says WHY he thinks it's a fake rating.

I've been using one on my test bench. I'm no power supply guru, but it seems good enough for the girls I go out with.

This is what I got in 2018

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Power Supply 120-GP-0750-X1
Item #: 120-GP-0750-X1 ($56.99 each)

Subtotal:​
$56.99​
Tax (0.00%):​
$0.00​
Shipping via UPS SurePost, USPS delivery:​
$0.00​
Order Total:​
$56.99​

1​
$56.99​

I appreciate all my mining brethren who firesaled their EVGA 1600w Gold/Platinum/Titanium units not too long ago.

Never fire-sale your gear.

(y)

This is what I got in 2018

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Power Supply 120-GP-0750-X1
Item #: 120-GP-0750-X1 ($56.99 each)
Subtotal:​
$56.99​
Tax (0.00%):​
$0.00​
Shipping via UPS SurePost, USPS delivery:​
$0.00​
Order Total:​
$56.99​

1​
$56.99​

Yeah I got an EVGA 850W Gold for maybe $65 after rebate around the same time. Can't afford to replace it ;).

I miss the $14.99 after $20MIR 80+ Bronze/Tier 2 430/450W units! Good thing I had a stash, and still have a handful.

I can't believe that a disruption in supply chain that ended months ago still affects us. Maybe they ship everything by container ship so we see what was pumped out of the factories 3 weeks ago.

I feel ya OP. In July 2019, I picked up this Seasonic PRIME Ultra 550W 80+ Gold unit for $67 ($20 rebate) from Newegg (via ebay). Among the better bargains I've ever found for a NEW unit, this is the price I'd expect for maybe a refurb/B-stock unit. Even without the rebate, at $87 it's still way better than the $119.99 price they're asking now.

I buy used units on eBay. Managed to snag EVGA 1300w and 1600w units for $100 each. Just luck, I suppose.
i got a evga 1600w titanium and a 1200w corsair 1200w plat for 125 and 100 Usd respectively on ebay. amazing deals to be had you just gotta have saved searches and notifications
seller i got the 1200plat from had another for 99$ listed this week..i kinda knew i should have grabbed it but i honestly dont need it

i got a evga 1600w titanium and a 1200w corsair 1200w plat for 125 and 100 Usd respectively on ebay. amazing deals to be had you just gotta have saved searches and notifications
seller i got the 1200plat from had another for 99$ listed this week..i kinda knew i should have grabbed it but i honestly dont need it

The deals are there to be had. I snagged an i5-6600k yesterday for $90.

I was going to build a new gaming PC last month... But couldnt find a PSU & I didnt want to re-use my current one as I wanted to pass it down to my girlfriend who was going to pass her PC down to her daughter... Couldnt find a PSU at a half way rasonable price so bought a new NAS & 6x 10TB drives instead... Figured it would be cheaper since none of it was inflated then building a PC

I was going to build a new gaming PC last month... But couldnt find a PSU & I didnt want to re-use my current one as I wanted to pass it down to my girlfriend who was going to pass her PC down to her daughter... Couldnt find a PSU at a half way rasonable price so bought a new NAS & 6x 10TB drives instead... Figured it would be cheaper since none of it was inflated then building a PC

I know the feels, I just bought a ton of used PSU's.

Currently testing them with AIDA64

• 3x Corsair AX860
  • 4x Corsair HX1050
  • 2x Corsair RM850

Just discovered this shortage last night. I was looking to replace a non-modular SFX PS just to reduce some clutter due to unused cables, and the prices are ridiculous -if you can even find them. good lord.

These are decent units. I ordered one from this seller and it was factory sealed. Appears to be OEM'd by either OCZ (RIP) or PC Power & Cooling. Apparently BFL had a warehouse full of these when they went out of business/were shut down by the FTC or whatever.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Butterfly-...401563&hash=item263d279abe:g:Ho8AAOSwiwVWT4RV

Its a Great Wall OEM. Has a ball bearing fan. Uses mostly decent caps (Rubycons, solid caps etc). Ball bearing fan. It’s actually really nice for the price.

It doesn’t appear certification for 80+ gold was ever actually done, most likely because BFL was shut down. It should still make the grade as it’s most similar counterparts all did.

It comes with very limited selection of cables compared to what it could have and the atx one isn’t sleeved. If you dig around newegg you can get whatever you need for it though from 3rd party cable manufacturer.

I bought 3. I rebuilt an old dell i7 sandy bridge and put one of those EVGA midweek madness 980tis in it with this PSU in a different case and gave it to my son for his bedroom. Even with then load of the overclocked 980ti it doesn’t really seem to generate a lot of heat. I have the exact same setup with a Corsair 750 with the same overclock and the 980ti will sometimes trip the overcurrent and shut the computer down. So it Obviously puts up enough wattage.

I grabbed a ton of SATA cables for one gonna use it to run a bunch of HDDs.

Its a Great Wall OEM. Has a ball bearing fan. Uses mostly decent caps (Rubycons, solid caps etc). Ball bearing fan. It’s actually really nice for the price.

It doesn’t appear certification for 80+ gold was ever actually done, most likely because BFL was shut down. It should still make the grade as it’s most similar counterparts all did.

It comes with very limited selection of cables compared to what it could have and the atx one isn’t sleeved. If you dig around newegg you can get whatever you need for it though from 3rd party cable manufacturer.

I bought 3. I rebuilt an old dell i7 sandy bridge and put one of those EVGA midweek madness 980tis in it with this PSU in a different case and gave it to my son for his bedroom. Even with then load of the overclocked 980ti it doesn’t really seem to generate a lot of heat. I have the exact same setup with a Corsair 750 with the same overclock and the 980ti will sometimes trip the overcurrent and shut the computer down. So it Obviously puts up enough wattage.

I grabbed a ton of SATA cables for one gonna use it to run a bunch of HDDs.

Did you buy any extra cables for it ? Care to share which set you bought as I just received this unit but man it's seriously lacking sata cables (comes with 2 only ) :cry:

Last edited:
I just did a server/workstation build at work this week and we paid $150 for a Seasonic 850W 80+ gold, and I have to tell you I was not shot in the ass with that pricing.

Luckily at home I have a 1000W Corsair full modular that they had from their Website on closeout a year or two back, plus a 620W Seasonic 80+ bronze that they ran on sale last year with rebate. Those are 'new' and I have two PC Power&Cooling 1KW units from back in the day that are both still fine. So I should be good until this drought is over.

But I agree - it sucks.

Holy cow! .... ca$h cow that is. Had not realized PSU price spike was such a thing.

The EVGA 750w G+ gold I purchased direct from EVGA back in November 2018 for $60 at my door are trending over $150 now. Should have followed my gut and stocked up.

evga750.jpg

I'd like to bump my SF600 up to the SF750 for the 3080, but it's not even available for less than $300.

I now only buy high spec, really long warranty PSUs with best efficiency, the extra cost pays for itself over the 7 to 12 years use 24/7.
Previously was an AX750 with 7 yr warranty, that lasted 8 years in my main PC with 24/7 use and is still powering an AMD 3600 build.
I'm now on the mouthful Seasonic Prime UIltra Titanium 750W with at least 90% efficiency from 10% power use, with 12 yr warranty.
Because of this I cant remember the last time I went looking for deals and am not bothered, I just bought what I wanted at the best price available at the time.

Shipping kills deal on those EVGA units, looks more expensive than new.

Back