Man Fired For Posting Pictures Of DHS Vans To Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although this was a stupid move, this sure seems like a bit of an overreaction, doesn't it? It's not like they were undercover vehicles or something.

Mark Paffrath, a Navy veteran who worked as a housekeeper for the Drury hotel chain, claims he was fired from his job on Saturday after posting photos and video on Facebook of dozens of vehicles from the Department of Homeland Security massed in a Missouri hotel garage. Paffrath told CNN that Drury’s head of security “called me a terrorist, saying that I dishonorably served my country for posting those pictures and videos on Facebook.”

They're probably just embarrassed that they're driving vans instead of Escalades.

We throw around "terrorist" for everything now.

It supposed to keep people frightened.

It's nearly lost its impact.

Seems pretty extreme. If he wasnt fired only 50 friends on facebook would of seen the news. Now that he is fired thousands/millions read it.

Makes me wonder what they are hiding. Brothel?

I'd fire him, too. Government contracts are a big deal to businesses. Interchangeable laborers, not so much.

I wonder if Drury’s head of security served in the armed forces. If not, he should keep his mouth shut about serving dishonorably.

I'd fire him, too. Government contracts are a big deal to businesses. Interchangeable laborers, not so much.

Eh, but he got his intended effect. I'll think twice about staying at a Drury Inn now if they treat their employees like that.

Not saying other chains don't treat their employees like crap, but calling someone a terrorist for taking pictures that anyone staying there could take (Drury has private garages in the urban areas)... Quit unnecessary if you ask me.

After reading the article, I respect the decision to can him. The hotel has a privacy policy that they won't give out names or information about guests. I think it's pretty obvious why he did this, to stoke flames and resentment while hinting that at who one particular guest might be.

Sorry, but when you sign on the dotted line to work at a hotel, you agree to their policies. Calling him a terrorist was completely unnecessary, but they had every right to can him for violation of the policies.

I'd say it would be slightly justified to fire him for taking advantage of his position with the company and invade their customers' privacy, but that is far, far from being a terrorist. Most people in this situation would get a verbal reprimand, not fired. They'd only get fired if it happened repeatedly or egregiously, or if the boss was an authoritarian moron.

I'd say it would be slightly justified to fire him for taking advantage of his position with the company and invade their customers' privacy, but that is far, far from being a terrorist. Most people in this situation would get a verbal reprimand, not fired. They'd only get fired if it happened repeatedly or egregiously, or if the boss was an authoritarian moron.

+1 terrorist no... fired yup.

Worked for a high/business class hotel, they were VERY serious about the customer interaction policies. Which included not only privacy but non-business or after hours interaction. Heck we weren't even allowed in public/guest ares of the property unless on the clock.

Most insane/fun job I ever had, always some crazy thing going on. Took a long while to make as much money in a "real" job after I got out of school.

After reading the article, I respect the decision to can him. The hotel has a privacy policy that they won't give out names or information about guests. I think it's pretty obvious why he did this, to stoke flames and resentment while hinting that at who one particular guest might be.

Sorry, but when you sign on the dotted line to work at a hotel, you agree to their policies. Calling him a terrorist was completely unnecessary, but they had every right to can him for violation of the policies.

Yup, totally justified in firing him. The terrorist thing was definitely a bit excessive, but it's also hearsay whether it actually happened or not.

+1 terrorist no... fired yup.

Worked for a high/business class hotel, they were VERY serious about the customer interaction policies. Which included not only privacy but non-business or after hours interaction. Heck we weren't even allowed in public/guest ares of the property unless on the clock.

Most insane/fun job I ever had, always some crazy thing going on. Took a long while to make as much money in a "real" job after I got out of school.

Yeah, for high end hotels, I can understand that. Some things happen in those hotels that can ruin political careers or hurt large businesses. (It's pretty sad that many powerful men don't restrain themselves they way they should, just because they have the power to conceal their doings.) Also, famous people don't want groupies or stalkers finding out where they are, either.

Of course privacy would be paramount for those types of places.

Having the right to fire him, doesn't mean they should.

Giving him a warning, and telling him to take down the pics would have been the smarter choice. Now it's just brought a lot of media attention, and since he's already fired, there's no reason for him to not show more pictures.

Extreme reaction by the DHS but do they know any different?

The other side of it is that what the fuck is with everyone's obsession with posting mediocre pictures of stuff that isn't that interesting? Was he showing off "Look at me I work for Homeland Security" then Homeland Security probably says "Well I guess this guy can't fucking keep his mouth shut, lets fire his ass"

Possible giving away operation, or providing an attackable location. Poor judgment.

I'd can him if he did it on the clock or in uniform.

If he went home, changed came back and took pictures.. meh.. i'd probably still warn him to be careful especially in this situation, since the case is mostly about politics now... then again that maybe why he did it.. he got on TV after all.

Possible giving away operation, or providing an attackable location. Poor judgment.

Bull.

If DHS were concerned about giving away their location they wouldn't be driving around in a convoy of vehicles emblazoned with "Department of Homeland Security" logos... :rolleyes:

Zarathustra[H];1041241245 said:
Bull.

If DHS were concerned about giving away their location they wouldn't be driving around in a convoy of vehicles emblazoned with "Department of Homeland Security" logos... :rolleyes:

Don't tell them where it is, guys!

secret_nuclear_bunker-thumb.jpg

We throw around "terrorist" for everything now.

It supposed to keep people frightened.

It's nearly lost its impact.
Yup, Republicans like to exploit it for the military industrial complex and police state, and Democrats love to throw it around for big government in general and to spout of BS like "most domestic terrorists aren't muslim extremists", when they include just about everything and anything under the sun as "domestic terrorism".

Most people in this situation would get a verbal reprimand, not fired. They'd only get fired if it happened repeatedly or egregiously, or if the boss was an authoritarian moron.

This is the private sector we are talking about - accountability is a real word with a real meaning :D.

The government and its agencies have no rights, and certainly no expectation of privacy.

The government and its agencies have no rights, and certainly no expectation of privacy.

^This. Especially if the garage is open to the public access.

"you're a terrorist and you have dishonorably served your country by posting the photos and video"
This guy doesn't know the definition of either of those words seeing as he worked for the government and the police.

No worries. Now he has some media attention and ought to be able to find himself an employer worth working for relatively quickly.

Facebook'd his way out of a job...Haven't we seen this eleventy times before?
I no longer feel sympathy for anyone that posts on facebook and later suffers repercussions.

This guy obviously violated the hotel's guest privacy agreement and his terms of employment. Just telling his friends at the bar would've been the same violation, but he got fired for being stupid enough to publish it on the internet.

The firing went too far in my opinion. Anybody would have seen those vans driving in and out of that hotel garage. If anything, the security NAZI at the hotel should be fired for VERIFYING that all those DHS vehicles are AT the hotel.

I wonder if Drury’s head of security served in the armed forces. If not, he should keep his mouth shut about serving dishonorably.
lol chickenhawks squawk the loudest about patriotism and military service.

Seems pretty extreme. If he wasnt fired only 50 friends on facebook would of seen the news. Now that he is fired thousands/millions read it.

Makes me wonder what they are hiding. Brothel?

I think the reporter has it just about right. Looks like DHS moved in personnel to deal with Ferguson if it goes south and the hotel decided that their employee fucked up by posting photos of their presence. Even though they are government they are still customers in the hotel's eyes, paying customers, and the customer is always right and everything that goes along with it.

Besides, Ferguson could get really nasty so did this guy consider that posting the pics would make people there even angrier and that they might assume the worst, like the Feds are there to back up the local cops when they might be there to take over and keep the local cops out of it. This could cost people their lives if it works to crank up the anger. Some people do not consider what they are doing and the effect it might have for others.

If I ran that hotel I'd can the head of security as well.

I don't really care what the head of security said, he's just a pog and probably had nothing at all to do with the man's termination. Chances are he was just to stupid to refrain from showing how stupid he is by making comments to the press. I bet he's going to be on the carpet soon too. It would be a perfect move for the hotel to make too, fire them both for being stupid and really get your point across, when you work for this hotel you are here for business and not your personal beliefs on subjects that to not have anything to do with the hotel's business.

I don't think this worker did anything dishonorable at all, I just think it's stupid to show things like this when people are upset and you could be throwing gasoline on a fire. this shit get's people hurt.

Sad the overreaching and over reacting powers that are abused in this day in age.

You make it sound like the government had anything at all to do with this man's termination but there isn't even a hint from the writer that this is the case.

Anyone posting any photos or videos to Facebook should be fired for dishonorable activity.

Back