man do i love being a nube

mest6039

n00b
yea so im deciding the parts for my first build. I want to do all the normal stuff(web, im, itunes) but i also wanted to play like cs:s and bf2. I am looking at this

Amd 64 X2 4400+
2 gig corsair ram
Asus a8n32-sli deluxe
150 gb wd raptor
evga 7900gt x 2 for sli

i really have no intention on overclocking or anything like that. with this setup, will i be able to play games like this np?

lol, that system is waaay overkill for what you're planning on doing with it.

An X2 3800+ and a 7800GT would very nicely fill your niche.

well first off i was just wondering if those video cards would hold up, but then i thought it would be helpful to state the other parts in the setup. second off, are you really correcting my spelling of nube(noob,nub)? if it bothers you that much, i can change it.

ok, i just have been lookin around and it seems like all these people w/ 7900 gtx oc'ed are all critiquing the image when they play the games like its pos graphix. im coming from a 2000 pentium III with not even 512 of ram, so anything is a positive for me. I just wanted something that is fast and reliable.

That setup is great for FEAR, Oblivion, and some not yet existing games at maximun settings. Not for BF2 and CS:S. Go with a single 7800GT and it runds Oblivion at maximum settings flawlessly. And drop the processor way down. I have an 64-bit 3700+ and it runs Oblivion at max just fine. A 7800GT with a 4200 would be just fine for the next 6 years. If thats all you plan to be doing.

wow i thought i would have to drop 2500 bux for a decent set up. i dont even need sli?

Obi_Kwiet said:
Um. No. It doesn't. Unless you plan to run @ 800x600.

Thats not true. It runs 1280x1024 at decent FPS. When I say decent, I mean looks absolutely fine. Any res higher you will get some lost frames.

But still, for what he needs it for, its fine.

well i have the dell 2405 whis is 1920x1200 so will this cheaper setup affect it that greatly. and when i mean i have it, i mean its in a box waiting for me to get the new comp

Is everyone just...going to newegg and finding the most expensive stuff you can get?

I swear i've seen that setup twice today. Or something very much like that.

For those two games a 6800gt, 2400+ processor or more, 1 gig of pc3200 would be plenty enough. Even fear would be decent.

Adionik said:
Is everyone just...going to newegg and finding the most expensive stuff you can get?

I swear i've seen that setup twice today. Or something very much like that.

my friend is pretty good with computers and he helped with that setup. i would go for the cheaper stuff, but the only reason im having second thoughts about buying the cheaper stuff is that i dont want to be constantly upgrading and pouring more and more money into it. is this logic correct?

mest6039 said:
my friend is pretty good with computers and he helped with that setup. i would go for the cheaper stuff, but the only reason im having second thoughts about buying the cheaper stuff is that i dont want to be constantly upgrading and pouring more and more money into it. is this logic correct?

Well dude, it depends, what do you picture yourself doing with this PC in the next 4-5 years?

If you plan on getting into extreme gaming, OCing, and other stuff like that, then the setup you have is good.

However, if you plan on playing games like BF2 and CS:S, all you need is something like a 64-bit 3500, 1-2 gigs of ram. (I would go with 1 and upgrade to 2 later). and go with the 7800GT.

Honestly, save your cash. There are more important things to spend oney on than a PC that you won't use a third of.

im pretty much the opposite of a hardcore gamer, i mean i like em, but every once in a while.

so now here is my set up:

asus a8n32sli
amd 4200
corsair xms 2gb
evga 7800gt
wd raptor 150 gb

this is still pretty fast right? i sound so dumb and annoying it seems like asking all these q's. thanx for the advice deadly aurora, you really put this into perspective

Sounds good. I mean, you really don't need a raptor either, a SATA would do just fine. But, if you want the raptor, thats up to you.

The rest of the specs look good. Just make sure everything is compatible. (e.g. socket types). I made that mistake once.

mest6039 said:
Well man, i would go with something like this........

X2 3800+
Asus a8n32-sli deluxe
1 gig of RAM (Corsair is good, or kingston, OCZ, G-Skill) (and upgrade to 2 gigs later)
the 150 GB Raptor you picked out would be fine, but personally, i would go with a 74 gig raptor and another, bigger drive.
and a 7800GT (if you think you might want a little more, whitch, having the Dell 24', for the res, a 7900GT would also be an exelent choice)

And if you want to go SLI later, you can, but remember to get a GOOD power supply, dont just search though and get one of the cheapest like it doesnt really matter, because it does. I might recomend the 500W Enermax or maybe the 620W version if you feel like you need more power.
so all in all, i think you're looking aroun the $1500 price point, whitch is pretty resonable. Good luch with it, and i hope this helped!

yess this has helped a ton....

thanks a lot guys

o btw i already have a pc power and cooling 510 watt picked out. actually i own one. dont ask me why! lol

mest6039 said:
yess this has helped a ton....

thanks a lot guys

o btw i already have a pc power and cooling 510 watt picked out. actually i own one. dont ask me why! lol
NICE! well now, that cuts tha price quite a bit too doesnt it! lol, and remember to get an OS too, dont wanna forget that. i recomend Windows XP or linux, lol,

Yea, you can get an excelent system for about 1500$, it does matter most on what your doing though, I personally would get a system like this for what your doing.

X2-3800+, saves 250$ over the 4400+ and loses only minimal performance (10-15%)

2GB Ram, I personally like the Gskill 2.5-3-3-6 stuff for 140$, saves about 60$ over other ram for no noticeable loss.

Geforce 7900GT, one of these things can smoke threw CS:Source and WOW just fine.

250GB HD, for 100$ it saves quite a bit of money then for a raptor with only faster load times sacrificed.(usually less then 1 sec)

Biostar T-Force SLI, for 110$ saves around 100$ over a more expensive brand and works just as well.

Case+PSU, just pick what you like but make sure thier both good quality. antec makes nice psus though, a good target price is about 150$ for both.

Also I would consider adding a sound card if you love music, the X-FI is an excelent choice and can be had for 120$.

Anyways Total roundup would be system like this.

X2-3800+ 300$
2GB GSKILL ram 140$
Biostar T-Force SLI Mobo 110$
Case+Mobo 150$
Geforce 7900GT 320$
250GB HD 100$
Shipping 80$

So total would be around 1200$, if you chose to add a 74GB raptor it would be 160$ more and about 120$ more if you added a X-Fi soundcard, both would be a total of 280$ more for a total of 1480$.

did anybody even read the post where he said he had a dell 2405? at that native resolution a 7900gt or two would NOT be overkill. i would get at least a 7900gtx if i was getting a single card with that monitor.

creedAMD said:
For those two games a 6800gt, 2400+ processor or more, 1 gig of pc3200 would be plenty enough. Even fear would be decent.
if he got that setup fear would be a slideshow on his 2405 monitor. by the way a 2400 is ass slow for a modern gaming. i know cause i have one. :D

A single 7800 GT will run BF2 great with everything turned up. I would still go dual core though, even though the X2 4400+ may be overkill. The X2 3800+ would be better. Maybe an Opteron 165? Do get the 2GB RAM though.

The only thing I would warn you about, upgrading directly from the setup you have, is the noise you're going to have to put up with. I made the mistake of underestimating how loud all the fans would be, especially the one on my video card, and I've been trying to fix things since I put it together. I've heard that the 7800gt and 7900gt have ridiculously loud coolers and the gtx versions of each are a little quieter. So take that into account...

You can always go a step down and SLI silent Gigabyte 6600gts or 7600gs and that will do what you want it to do as well, with a LOT less noise.

Shameless Liar said:
A single 7800 GT will run BF2 great with everything turned up. I would still go dual core though, even though the X2 4400+ may be overkill. The X2 3800+ would be better. Maybe an Opteron 165? Do get the 2GB RAM though.
not on a 2405 unless you consider 30fps running great. at his native resolution even a 7900gtx doesnt average 60 fps with everything maxed. i agree he should get 2 gb ram now instead of upgrading later. bf2 needs it with everthing maxed.

Well if you want the single best card get a X1900XTX, it can be had for about 500$ and is plenty fast in Source and wow and is slightly faster in Battlefield2 and Oblivion, although if you want duel-graphics you should just get 7900GTX SLI.

GVX said:
lol, that system is waaay overkill for what you're planning on doing with it.

An X2 3800+ and a 7800GT would very nicely fill your niche.

Or an opty 165 and a 7900gt for the same price and quite possibly double the performance.

mr saturn said:
Or an opty 165 and a 7900gt for the same price and quite possibly double the performance.

he doesnt want to overclock.
sounds like a great system, 7900gt sli beats almost anything (check the 3dmark 06 rankings on this forum). but shitcan that hard drive. for that price you can get about 3 300gb maxline 3 sata2 16mb cache, you will notice no difference in performance and you get the 5 year warranty and choice of several different raid modes.

this isnt the right place but while the thread is still up do you reccomend a diff. hard drive?

trek554 said:
did anybody even read the post where he said he had a dell 2405? at that native resolution a 7900gt or two would NOT be overkill. i would get at least a 7900gtx if i was getting a single card with that monitor.
QFT. Stick with SLI.

this isnt the right place but while the thread is still up do you reccomend a diff. hard drive?
I'd say stick with the one picked out. It is the max performance available today. The Disk Storage Systems forum has a sticky at the top for recommended drives. If you have some need other than max performance or want to lower the cost, look there--you shouldn't need raid. Raptors aren't exactly known for having the best bang for the buck.

Also, since you want to play future games you will likely have to pick up a physics processing unit in the future. I don't know exaclty what gameplay options it will provide, but some of the demos look really cool. So don't be suprised if you have to add a PPU in the future. Check out the subforum for more info.

Your friend picked out a great setup. I'd say simply add a Xi-fi soundcard (it will make a big difference in BF2) and have a bitchin' time playing games at max settings at the monitor's native resolution and not noticing the performance of the system (as it plays the games like rich creamy butter!) If budget is an issue, and you're willing to sacrifice an immersive game environment, there are plenty of suggestions here already.

Niloc said:
QFT. Stick with SLI.

Also, since you want to play future games you will likely have to pick up a physics processing unit in the future. I don't know exaclty what gameplay options it will provide, but some of the demos look really cool. So don't be suprised if you have to add a PPU in the future. Check out the subforum (under video cards) for more info.
Well, yes, i say stick with SLI as well, as it is a more mature technology. And the mods just move the PPU section to the main page, i guess it had a lot of interest............

If you are gaming on a 24 in widescreen get the Sli 7900GTs my 7800GT has trouble keeping up with my 17 screen sometimes.

alright thanx for the help

i plan on stickin with everything except gettin the 4200 instead of the 4400. will this make a huge difference in performance?

and if i dont get the second vid card at the start will it impact gaming a lot?

mest6039 said:
alright thanx for the help

i plan on stickin with everything except gettin the 4200 instead of the 4400. will this make a huge difference in performance?

and if i dont get the second vid card at the start will it impact gaming a lot?
one, if you are thinking the 4200, i'd say just go down to the 3800, there is VERY little differance between the two, and one is almost a hundred dollars less! and two, if you are going to be gaming at resolutions higher that 1600x1200 (whitch from the 24' Dell, you will be) and if you like everything on max (and who doesnt.... :rolleyes: ) then it will, but really its up to you, personally, i would wait a couple months then do it! :D

mest6039 said:
well first off i was just wondering if those video cards would hold up, but then i thought it would be helpful to state the other parts in the setup. second off, are you really correcting my spelling of nube(noob,nub)? if it bothers you that much, i can change it.

You should have stated that in your first post then, cause when I looked at it I saw "how is this build overall for playing these games" not "will this video card be good with this rig for these games".

If you have the cash to blow, then blow....its really up to you.

my set upin my sig does 100fps on average in bf2 with no overclock. the only thing i would change in your setup is go with 2 sats drives in raid. bf2 needs it to load the maps. or it will take forever to load and verify. just my 2 cents worth

alright so now i should get two hds and set it up in raid? like two wd 250gb? wow i just relized how little i know about computers. how do guys learn everything? i have been reading as much as i can about stuff, but like all the terms and stuff i pretty much have no clue.

i think ima gonna go w/ this:

4200+
a8n32 sli
evga 7900gt (will get another later)
2 gig corsair xms
2x wd 7200 250 gb in raid
dell 2405 fpw

Ugh, why would you want to RAID them? With two drives, your only real RAID options are RAID 0 (striping) and RAID 1 (mirroring). Sounds like venemous recommends RAID 0, which helps for large sequential reads, but offers no redundancy (if one of those 250 GB drives goes, the whole AID array goes). And unless you are going to be doing a lot of large sequential reads, you really don't need RAID 0; I don't recommend it at all, but if loading BF2 maps are that important to you, go with what you want knowing the caveats.

Most motherboards these days support the ability to set up RAID 0 or RAID 1 (but probably software based).

Anyway, that system is nice, I don't have much else to say otherwise since everyone else has already covered everything.

keep in mind for raid that if those are your only drives and the fail.. you lose everything then.. id say keep the 150 raptor or get a 74gb one.. and get a 300-500 storage drive.. just a suggestion..

Back