Man, Distracted by Electronic Device, Walks Off Cliff

I agree, the man was foolish.

However, for anyone here in this thread who is mocking or stating the man deserved it: allow us to examine your life in the finest of details so that we may scrutinize you for your unique foolishness.

Hypocrites.

Well let's see...I'll start with the obvious I'm alive that is a pretty outstanding start. The last time I had an accident that put me into the hospital due to my own fault was never. The last time I was even in the hospital period was just over 6 years ago as a checkup when someone rear ended me while I was stopped at a red light. The number of injuries I've incurred as a result of negligence or improper use of anything is zero, the number of injuries I've been a contributor too for someone else is also zero. I've never destroyed any expensive piece of technology I own because I believe in protective cases, I've had precisely zero speeding tickets, and really zero traffic infractions of any kind and I'm 36. So I would say that thus far I'm both doing pretty damn well and not hypocritical in the least.

Oh I've also taught my kids personal accountability and responsibility while I was at it.

I agree, the man was foolish.

However, for anyone here in this thread who is mocking or stating the man deserved it: allow us to examine your life in the finest of details so that we may scrutinize you for your unique foolishness.

Hypocrites.

Even if you did... none of us died from our mistakes. Though, if any of us got paralyzed from such an idiotic mistake, I'd probably put them on the same level.

Well let's see...I'll start with the obvious I'm alive that is a pretty outstanding start. The last time I had an accident that put me into the hospital due to my own fault was never. The last time I was even in the hospital period was just over 6 years ago as a checkup when someone rear ended me while I was stopped at a red light. The number of injuries I've incurred as a result of negligence or improper use of anything is zero, the number of injuries I've been a contributor too for someone else is also zero. I've never destroyed any expensive piece of technology I own because I believe in protective cases, I've had precisely zero speeding tickets, and really zero traffic infractions of any kind and I'm 36. So I would say that thus far I'm both doing pretty damn well and not hypocritical in the least.

Oh I've also taught my kids personal accountability and responsibility while I was at it.

Nobody's perfect though. What's more dangerous than stupidity are those who believe they are beyond failure.

I mourn those that miss a block, or stick their head up at the wrong instant, dammed fools that can not go about their daily business without walking in front of a truck playing angry birds? good riddance!

Was it an incredibly foolish way to die? Yes. Did he deserve to die for this? No. Honestly I think a few broken bones would've been the wake up call this guy would've needed to start paying attention to the world around him. Unfortunately fate didn't seem to agree.

There is a difference between an accident, and negligence/stupidity.

I could have said the same thing a little over a year ago, except I had never been in the hospital, not even from an accident.

That was before I fell while ice skating last year and ended up in the Hospital with a cracked skull.
Don't think I did anything stupid (other than going ice skating), but I don't remember the seconds before and after I fell, so I don't know what really happened, except my head hit the ice really hard.

Needless to say, I won't be going ice skating any more, as that would be stupid.

it's hard to believe people don't have any peripheral vision when looking at their phones

Sure, this guy's actions are incredibly stupid, but to say he deserved it and laugh at him is very insensitive. You should remember he is leaving behind loved ones and friends. A serious injury would have been a sufficient wake up call. Very sad...

The information age and almost always-on connectivity to massive amounts of information is great for human progress. But it breeds self absorbed people who live in the virtual, online world to the exclusion of what is right in front of them. It is sad that you can have families at a dinner table or in the living room busy with their smart phones instead of talking and bonding.

He deserved it.

See plenty of idiots on the road crossing traffic and railway when they are not supposed to because they are to drawn to their electronic devices - early death awaits them.

I know right?..Someone should put fence around nature...think of the children!!!!!

This reminds me of this

Yeah instead of being educated and responsible, let's put up barriers, so we can be as stupid as possible. Oh humanity what a bright future you have.

If only he had seen the F the internet video posted on the hard today, he would of been saved

You're a fucking asshole.
I hope YOU never, EVER EVER for the REST of your LIFE make ANY MISTAKES. EVER.

You just pissed me off.

no dude!

we do not all have to suffer to protect you from yourself

this is the fundamental political divide

get bent

There is a difference between an accident, and negligence/stupidity.

I could have said the same thing a little over a year ago, except I had never been in the hospital, not even from an accident.

That was before I fell while ice skating last year and ended up in the Hospital with a cracked skull.
Don't think I did anything stupid (other than going ice skating), but I don't remember the seconds before and after I fell, so I don't know what really happened, except my head hit the ice really hard.

Needless to say, I won't be going ice skating any more, as that would be stupid.

I'm aware and accidents are one thing. I was just responding in general to the "lets examine your life" statement. I have plenty of sympathy for people who get hurt/die in accidents that aren't their fault. I simply don't have a shred of empathy for someone who gets hurt/dies as a result of their own negligence. That likewise isn't to say I don't feel bad for the family, they are the only victims here.

No one has ever been saved from dying. Humans have always died "prematurely", and they will continue to as well.

We can't stop that. I would rather that NEITHER scenarios happen, but I'm not going to make a big deal about either one if they do.

Guy walks off a cliff. Move on.

It used to bother me the fact someone else screws up makes many people feel better about themselves, so the insults are a form of gloating.

OTOH, a lot of stupid people, yeah stupid, probably would learn nothing from the story on its own. They likely will take the ridicule to heart more than the story itself. Their fear of being given a public darwin award will make them safer.

Good thing the lord took him now, rather than later when he would put others in danger with his stupidity.

triple-facepalm.jpg

I am sure his son and mother will have something different to say about that. Enjoy your lack of empathy and compassion, I am sure it will get you far in life.

I would have empathay/compassion for someone who didn't die due their own negligence. If you are too involved in something that you do not pay attention to the potential danger about you, you deserve a Darwin award.

I can't count the number of times I've come close to making street pizza out of some idiot that was too busy messing with their phone/radio to pay attention to what was going on around them.

I almost mowed down a group of kids that blew through an intersection the other week on their bikes. Missed one of them by inches. Distracted biking!

I once had an idiot nearly run into me on his bike while I was on mine, him and his buddy were riding side by side on a bike path and staring at their phones. I couldn't go around them because they were taking up the whole path and my road bike doesn't do so well in the dirt, so I had to repeatedly yell, "LOOK UP!" at them and he only did not even 10 feet before running into me.

People can have empathy but still see this as stupid.

I feel for the guy's family. A sad loss. Doesn't make what he did to cause it any less stupid. It was an easily avoidable tragedy.

If I go out, it better not be from a stupid, avoidable mistake that I caused. If so, talk shit about me. It'll be sad that I'm gone, sure. I'm kind of a big deal and a pretty awesome guy. But, if I did something like this, if I survived, I'd be embarrassed. I'd even say I was stupid for doing it. :/ I've done stupid things in my life, too. I'm far from perfect. I should have been injured several times.

Sure is easy to insult someone when they are dead. :rolleyes: In fact, would it take all that much digging into your life to find something similar sans death? I don't find this funny at all and in fact, why did someone not yell out to him to be watch out if there were there to witness it?

Whatever. The guy was too stupid to watch what he was doing and died. Sucks for the family and kid that doesn't have a dad now, I feel for them... But the guy, not so much.

you must be a riot at parties...

you must be a riot at parties...

Because stupidity is obviously required in order to be fun at a party right? :rolleyes:

That was a seriously stupid statement that really has nothing to do with anything in this thread.

Back