Man, Distracted by Electronic Device, Walks Off Cliff

HardOCP News

[H] News
This must be a late entry for the 2015 Darwin Awards. Hopefully this tragic incident serves as a wake up call to all those distracted walkers out there.

Authorities have identified a 33-year-old man who was distracted by an electronic device when he fell 60 feet to his death at San Diego's Sunset Cliffs on Christmas Day, according to San Diego Lifeguards. "Witnesses stated seeing someone distracted by an electronic device and he just fell over the edge," said San Diego Lifeguard Bill Bender. "(He) wasn't watching where he was walking, he was looking down at the device in his hands."

I almost mowed down a group of kids that blew through an intersection the other week on their bikes. Missed one of them by inches. Distracted biking!

This story reminds me of the guy who came up with the Segway rolling himself off of a cliff on one by accident. Except not as funny.

yeah they are accidents.... but do we really want people that stupid breeding? Seriously, we already have a <50% chance of ending up like that movie Idiocracy (hilarious btw)

If you are stupid enough to walk off a cliff like a damn lemming, you forfeit life. (Same goes for those kids on the bike) Zero sympathy.

yeah they are accidents.... but do we really want people that stupid breeding? Seriously, we already have a <50% chance of ending up like that movie Idiocracy (hilarious btw)

If you are stupid enough to walk off a cliff like a damn lemming, you forfeit life. (Same goes for those kids on the bike) Zero sympathy.

Sure is easy to insult someone when they are dead. :rolleyes: In fact, would it take all that much digging into your life to find something similar sans death? I don't find this funny at all and in fact, why did someone not yell out to him to be watch out if there were there to witness it?

If I fall off a cliff some day, I don't need a crane to delicately lift my body out of the ravine. Shove me in the canvas bag, tie me to the stretcher and pull me out.

That fucking sucks. How can you be that oblivious to a cliff

"Whatever you do, DON'T LOOK DOWN! Just stare straight ahead and slowly step back until you feel solid ground. Had I known this simple bit of info my life would have been much easier, but less funny."

-Wile E Coyote

Sure is easy to insult someone when they are dead. :rolleyes: In fact, would it take all that much digging into your life to find something similar sans death? I don't find this funny at all and in fact, why did someone not yell out to him to be watch out if there were there to witness it?

Boo fucking hoo. The world is at such a great loss losing this fucking guy...

I think we have advanced beyond natural selection with the number of distractions we are exposed to day to day ... also, accidents happen ... I have been walking along and catch my foot on a rock or crack and attempt a face plant ... we can make fun of people walking and looking at phones all we want but with all the power of the phones these days it wouldn't hurt to look at using motion sensors to disable certain functions on the phone except when you are standing still (we disable the GPS menus in a car when it is in motion, I think we could do the same with certain high risk apps as well)

Only a matter of time until the family sues the County for having an open cliff with rocks in the area.

According to the news footage, it said that he may have been trying to take a selfie. I can't stand that stupid shit.

You should always be aware of your surroundings, always. Doesn't matter if you are driving, walking, or even sitting in place. You never know when something around you may suddenly change and you have to react instantly. Drives me nuts when people completely envelop themselves with their phones while they are walking. They run into other people without a care in the world. Just as dumb is when someone is jogging in the streets with noise isolating headphones/earbuds.

Seems like a really good cover for committing suicide; rates really go up during the holidays.

Sure is easy to insult someone when they are dead. :rolleyes:

Yep..or maimed or otherwise caught in the act of being punished for being excessively stupid.

In fact, would it take all that much digging into your life to find something similar sans death? I don't find this funny at all and in fact, why did someone not yell out to him to be watch out if there were there to witness it?

Good luck finding something in mine. I don't make a habit out of stupidity that could of potentially risked my life. Sorry if some of us aren't particularly sympathetic to idiots.

America.

Biggest fear is seeing another mans dick
Has zero problems with other humans dying.

Apparently you don't live here. The amount of stupid is very strong.

Would you rather have a person die because they do stupid stuff or would you rather them end up killing multiple people later because they lived to do even more stupid stuff?

Apparently you don't live here. The amount of stupid is very strong.

Would you rather have a person die because they do stupid stuff or would you rather them end up killing multiple people later because they lived to do even more stupid stuff?

No one has ever been saved from dying. Humans have always died "prematurely", and they will continue to as well.

We can't stop that. I would rather that NEITHER scenarios happen, but I'm not going to make a big deal about either one if they do.

Guy walks off a cliff. Move on.

how the hell can you get so distracted that you fall off a cliff??...even if I'm engaged in the most amazing conversation I'm always aware of my surroundings

You can have witnesses to an event... and they might not be anywhere remotely close to him. They could be hundreds of feet away where even yelling at him wouldn't have changed a thing. Say you have a time machine and you save this dumb ass, he gets to live another day, great. Next time he's distracted by his hope he runs over some kids getting on a school bus, do you feel better now? You can't fix stupid, all the money or time in the world and you will still have people like this throwing their lives (or others) in the trash. If they guy had fallen down and only broken his foot, I would have still called him a retard.

Do you really support the idea that we should idiot proof society? In a situation like this, what would your solution be? We should spend 10's or 100's of millions of dollars to put safety rails everywhere in public? We live in a society where someone is going to sue now probably, hell we live in a society where even people who try to help get sued. The world is not a nice place and outside of gravity there is a whole host of things that generally want to kill us (animals, diseases, other humans) Your idea of some happy fluffy world where everyone is smiling and helpful is just a pipe dream, best adapt to it sooner rather than later.

It's not like a freak accident caused his death, his own stupidity did. And you are right, everyone does stupid things, it's just that most of us will devote more than 0 seconds to think before we do something retarded.

No one has ever been saved from dying. Humans have always died "prematurely", and they will continue to as well.

We can't stop that. I would rather that NEITHER scenarios happen, but I'm not going to make a big deal about either one if they do.

Guy walks off a cliff. Move on.

Sure.. Guy walks off cliff = Move on.

Guy walks off cliff because he was too stupid to pay attention to where he was going = facepalm comments as well as a Darwin Award.

Sure people die prematurely all the time.. but at the same time you don't just let people continue to be in society that kill other people.

So yes, you kill a mass murderer and you have in fact most likely saved somebody from dying prematurely.

If there is no point, then why even bother with stuff like sanitation, medication, safety standards, laws, etc.

Drives me nuts when people completely envelop themselves with their phones while they are walking. They run into other people without a care in the world.

That's when you slap the phone out of their hands!

Pay Attention You Jive Ass Mother

It's not a matter of sympathy but arrogance. Everyone has done something stupid.

It isn't a question of has everyone done something stupid. It is a question of has everyone done something stupid in a situation that could seriously injure or kill them? I would argue that the answer in most peoples case is a resounding NO. This isn't your everyday level of stupid we are talking about here.

It isn't a question of has everyone done something stupid. It is a question of has everyone done something stupid in a situation that could seriously injure or kill them? I would argue that the answer in most peoples case is a resounding NO. This isn't your everyday level of stupid we are talking about here.

How many people drive under the influence, have unprotected sex with strangers or have loaded guns within easy reach of young children everyday? Same level of stupid as far as I'm concerned.

How many people eat in a car while driving ... how many text while driving ... how many have tried to stretch a yellow light and go speeding through a red light ... I think everyone has done something stupid and many do it regularly

How many people drive under the influence, have unprotected sex with strangers or have loaded guns within easy reach of young children everyday? Same level of stupid as far as I'm concerned.

How many people eat in a car while driving ... how many text while driving ... how many have tried to stretch a yellow light and go speeding through a red light ... I think everyone has done something stupid and many do it regularly

Oh look, it's a continuation of things I've never done and would likewise mock anyone who does and ends up paying the consequences for. You aren't exactly supporting your end of the argument here guys.

The first thought that popped into my mind after reading the article was "you dumbass".
Then I decided to rethink it and figured the cliff must have popped up out of nowhere and it's all the cliff's fault. Yeah, that's it.

Boo fucking hoo. The world is at such a great loss losing this fucking guy...

I am sure his son and mother will have something different to say about that. Enjoy your lack of empathy and compassion, I am sure it will get you far in life.

Oh look, it's a continuation of things I've never done and would likewise mock anyone who does and ends up paying the consequences for. You aren't exactly supporting your end of the argument here guys.

The world has more of at least on thing than stupid people, hypocrites. Just because someone hasn't done something isn't a guarantee that they'll never do it. It's easy to mock stupidity. It's harder to learn from it.

I agree, the man was foolish.

However, for anyone here in this thread who is mocking or stating the man deserved it: allow us to examine your life in the finest of details so that we may scrutinize you for your unique foolishness.

Hypocrites.

I don't suppose God could have spared a millisecond to send an angel to warn the oblivious text-walker of his impending doom.

Or, maybe God just decided it was time to call the oblivious text-walker home to paradise.
I agree, the man was foolish.

However, for anyone here in this thread who is mocking or stating the man deserved it: allow us to examine your life in the finest of details so that we may scrutinize you for your unique foolishness.

Hypocrites.
That we're here to mock the dead text-walker proves we've never been as uniquely foolish as the dead text-walker.

Moralists. :rolleyes:

Back