Man, Conroe is kicking our ,,,,,,,, I feel sooo sad now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemist_slime

[H]ard|Gawd
Man, Conroe is kicking our hinds, I feel sooo sad now. AMD, please come back with something....

I'm holding one last round onto AMD hoping they are up to something.

OverclockingGuru said:
With what cooling? A P3 heatsink?
It would have to be a crummy P3 heatsink with a 0.49C/W rating. Notice the ambient temperature on the same picture. :p It's more likely a bad calibration.
---

What difference does it make, chemist_slime? Conroe could come out today and I wouldn't necessarily buy it. I'd wait until I got a good deal on a motherboard and CPU. I'm perfectly happy with my X2 right now and you have an even better system. Woodcrest is too expensive (2 socket): $600 motherboard, requires FBDIMMs @ $200/GB, but the Xeons are reasonably priced.

Competition like this is great. AMD will have K8L and Intel will have Kentsfield next year. Hopefully between them prices will be reasonable. :D

visaris said:
Look at the next slide, you can see the cooler is attached and running:
http://www.computerbase.de/bild/article/578/7/

I'm really not sure why that chip is running so hot, but if all the Conroes run hot, Intel is going to have a problem.
It's because it's in the BIOS, where none of the usual heat-reducing techniques are active, not even Halt. Every other processor family will show the same behavior, idle in Windows will be much cooler than idle in the BIOS.

visaris said:

I'm really not sure why that chip is running so hot, but if all the Conroes run hot, Intel is going to have a problem.

Intel's retail coolers have never been anything special. Heh, the early rev Prescotts would easily break 70C with the retail coolers. And those were the top of the line retail coolers, I'd imagine with a 65W TDP Intel is shaving some AL off their coolers.

The Xtreme Systems people who have the chips are getting mid 3ghz range overclocks on aftermarket air coolers. I'm not real concerned with heat...

visaris said:
Do you see the ambient temperature in that case? ("Internal Temp 35C")

Either you're deliberately ignoring that or you don't know what the CPU temperature means. The air inside the case is pretty warm (35C). There's a 19C delta between the ambient and CPU temperature (54C - 35C = 19C). The CPU temperature isn't going to show anything less than the ambient temperature, and ambient in that case is already pretty warm. The delta is what's important when comparing temperatures. 19C isn't great, but SLee above points out one possible reason (BIOS setup doesn't use auto halt, it runs continously). They could have monitored the temperatures in Windows for more accurate usage temperatures at idle and under load. The CPU temperature alone tells you nothing without also knowing the ambient temperature.

If the ambient air temperature in that case was 20C, the CPU would read 39C. That is assuming the motherboard/BIOS is calibrated correctly to begin with and/or there's nothing wrong with the heatsink or TIM. And I'm not sure about the former. It's a 65W CPU so something is amiss.

SLee said:
It's because it's in the BIOS, where none of the usual heat-reducing techniques are active, not even Halt. Every other processor family will show the same behavior, idle in Windows will be much cooler than idle in the BIOS.
I realize that any CPU will have a higher temperature when idling in the BIOS than when idling in an OS. However, idling in the BIOS does not stress the CPU nearly as much as running under full load. My current dual-core Opterons run at 44C in the BIOS and 55C when under full load (case temp at 33C to 34C). If one applies an increase to the Conroe's BIOS idle temp, this particular Conroe looks like it runs pretty hot. We'll have to wait and see if production models are any better.

pxc said:
Either you're deliberately ignoring that or you don't know what the CPU temperature means.
I'm well aware, and I think the CPU temps are a little high; simple as that. This may just be a hot ES, who knows.

visaris said:

you didnt see the monitor showing temps in same shot tho now didjya ...? purely circumstantial evidence!
:eek:

[F]old|[H]ard

Yes conroe is beating AMDs old stuff...im waiting for K8L then making my choice.

Rhitick said:
Yes conroe is beating AMDs old stuff...im waiting for K8L then making my choice.

I'm with you, but I'd wager that K8L will cost an arm and a leg and won't be worth it in terms of performance/dollar. Multithreaded applications (especially games) aren't common enough.

I hate to say it as an AMD fan, but I think intel has taken the cake for some time, at least in the consumer market. AMD still does better in the server market, and will continue to do so, especially with the K8L (where it will really make a difference imho).

Oh well, competition is only better for the consumer, and I'll purchase from the company that provides the best performance/money.

visaris said:
I'm well aware, and I think the CPU temps are a little high; simple as that. This may just be a hot ES, who knows.

Its more than likely the guy that installed the heatsink did a poor job of installing the heatsink. You have seen it hundreds of times in the forums why is my Temps so high . What is the usual reply? Maybe this guy was tring to show the Intel conroe in a bad light. I can't imagine why anyone would try to do this. Can you?

lol@ pu$$y hurt amd fan boys. look, its a cpu... who cares who makes it as long as its cheap, and fast with good reliability. i dont care WHO makes the chip as long as its cheap, and it performs. conroe is all that.

easy come easy go. its about time Intel comes back with a punch anyways. i have no doubt AMD will produce results with K8L

Rhitick said:

conroe is also beating AMD's just released "new stuff", AM2 that is, and with nothing other than a rumored frankenstein'ish sounding 4x4 creature coming from AMD in the next 12-18 months....i would say you have a long wait and would probably be better off going with a Conroe system until K8L does finally come along and truly beat Intel's "old stuff" after it's already a year or more old

i would definately ignore any temperature readings that suggest they run too hot......when many are running 3.7Ghz + on air.....i don't think there's a cooling issue here

viper650 said:
lol@ pu$$y hurt amd fan boys. look, its a cpu... who cares who makes it as long as its cheap, and fast with good reliability. i dont care WHO makes the chip as long as its cheap, and it performs. conroe is all that.
Id have to agree. I always laugh at them as well. I love how some amd "fan boys" feel they are being personaly attacked because Intel has a cpu that beats amd. lol. That is pretty funny.

Pick the freaking faster cpu. Who cares who makes it. Sounds like conroe is going to be the best "bang 4 buck(cost/performance ratio)" cpu pretty soon so...I will be going that way also. Then if amd comes out with a better "bang 4 buck" cpu, ill switch to that. And etc etc etc..

It shouldnt matter who makes it. I for one am certainly grateful that Intel and AMD compete agaisnt eachother. Think of how the market would be if either company owned it all. They would be able to set any prices they wish and force people to pay whatever they deem acceptable.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
he meant architecture, not processors. AM2 is a PLATFORM.

i dont care if you call it a purple monkey.....it's AMD's best offering now and for the next year or longer i suppose, and it's already being beaten bad in price and performance

hopefully availability will not be as big a deal as some think it may, but heck, the Core Duo's could stand to be marked up quite a bit and still deliver alot more performance per dollar spent

viper650 said:

Whatever, I have hellla stock invested in AMD so yes, I do want AMD to get back onto it. Name calling, hmm, how mature...

Retsam said:
Id have to agree. I always laugh at them as well. I love how some amd "fan boys" feel they are being personaly attacked because Intel has a cpu that beats amd. lol. That is pretty funny.
and i love the personal attacks against those who get upset when their side is 'losing' ;)

he meant architecture, not processors. AM2 is a PLATFORM.

and at a time, AMD f4nboys said it would counter Conroe.

(cf)Eclipse said:
and i love the personal attacks against those who get upset when their side is 'losing' ;)

i think after years of AMD fans be-littling (?) Intel owners up and down the block, there's just-cause for just a smidgen of backlash, don't you think?

rayman2k2 said:
and at a time, AMD f4nboys said it would counter Conroe.

haha, yeah, but i didnt see alot of that, maybe i missed it, but anyone who thought AM2 was gonna be AMD's saving grace to answer Conroe was being led by the blind for sure

i guess the cycle will never end. :rolleyes:

might as well just quit. it was fine before cause i didn't have to see it cause i never went into the intel forum. now it's just stupid comments and insults everywhere. taking a break should really do my mind a lot of good.. someone can wake me up when conroe is actually out. :eek:

nobody_here said:
i think after years of AMD fans be-littling (?) Intel owners up and down the block, there's just-cause for just a smidgen of backlash, don't you think?

or intel users has been oppressed much too long ;)

or intel users has been oppressed much too long ;)

true as well

that's why i went from Intel->AMD-> and now back to Intel, wasnt about to let any architecture's shortcomings hold me back :)

i go where the best performance for my dollar goes, i wouldn't care if it was made by Transmeta or SiS or General Mills for that matter

nobody_here said:
true as well

that's why i went from Intel->AMD-> and now back to Intel, wasnt about to let any architecture's shortcomings hold me back :)

i go where the best performance for my dollar goes, i wouldn't care if it was made by Transmeta or SiS or General Mills for that matter

that is what its about bro. going with who is superior. can't wait to get my hands on a E6600 :D

DarkenReaper57 said:
Oh well, competition is only better for the consumer, and I'll purchase from the company that provides the best performance/money.

QFT

whatasized even

chemist_slime said:
Whatever, I have hellla stock invested in AMD so yes, I do want AMD to get back onto it. Name calling, hmm, how mature...

since when is calling someone a fan boy, namecalling. pu$$y hurt isnt namecalling, its describing what SOME amd owners are. i have an amd system, and i could CARE LESS about what beats amd, as long as something does. its good for the consumers. intel offers a cheap cpu with major performance, amd has to counter by lowering skt 939 prices drastically and making a better cpu. everyone wins in my book. the only losers, are people on an internet forum bitching about "muh tyte amd is still b3tt3r then that crappy intel"

performance has no name, only a price tag.

I like AMD and I have owned amd processors for 5 years now. But I really really hope intel kicks AMD's ass with Conroe. We can only win, as consumers. I don't know how anyone can think that better processors at a cheaper price can be something negative. All this means is that AMD will not be able to be complacent, and will have to spend much more on R&D than before. They will not afford to go the common route of becoming too big for their own good and spending too much on useless things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back