Man, Conroe is kicking our ,,,,,,,, I feel sooo sad now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rox1co

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
1,105
are there any prices on Conroe compatible Motherboards? would i have to buy a completely new HSF?
 

savantu

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
1,325
chemist_slime said:
Whatever, I have hellla stock invested in AMD so yes, I do want AMD to get back onto it. Name calling, hmm, how mature...

If I were you I'd sell it ASAP and buy Intel stock while it's this low... ;)
 

savantu

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
1,325
rox1co said:
are there any prices on Conroe compatible Motherboards? would i have to buy a completely new HSF?

NO!

Conroe is still socket 775 , any HSF for socket 775 works..
 

$BangforThe$

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
1,672
Asian Dub Foundation said:
easy come easy go. its about time Intel comes back with a punch anyways. i have no doubt AMD will produce results with K8L

I agree that K8L should perform well. But it won't be out till 2008 and Penryn will be out by than also. Right after Penryn Nehalem will arrive . So I really think K8L will be to little to late. I really think AMD has to make K10 something very special if their going to stay in the game.
 

flynlr

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
2,093
what torques my monkey is the damn motherboard issue. I remember when I had my FIC PA2007 with 2mb L2 cache I could drop either an K62 or the intel flavor of the month in it. but now adays when changing MFR you gotta change the MB.
Ninja edit: no monkeys were harmed with Torque wrenches.
 

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 5, 2001
Messages
11,286
flynlr said:
what torques my monkey is the damn motherboard issue. I remember when I had my FIC PA2007 with 2mb L2 cache I could drop either an K62 or the intel flavor of the month in it. but now adays when changing MFR you gotta change the MB.
Ninja edit: no monkeys were harmed with Torque wrenches.

more money for mobo manufacturers

I would be more inclined to "play" with Intel/AMD if I could just drop either/or chip in and go instead of tearing apart my whole setup after shelling out whatever amount of cash to get a new motherboard and possibly ram (AM2 going to DDR2 eleviates that now tho)

..and your pretty lucky ..I started reading your post and immediately started dialing our local MPA (monkey protection agency)

:)


[F]old|[H]ard
 

visaris

Gawd
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
842
I agree that K8L should perform well. But it won't be out till 2008.
Try 1H2007. AMD said this at their analysts day on June 1st; you can find the slides and webcast on AMD's site.
 

savantu

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
1,325
visaris said:
Try 1H2007. AMD said this at their analysts day on June 1st; you can find the slides and webcast on AMD's site.

Better take your own advice , they said mid 2007 introduction that's one year from now ( more or less Q3 or H2 ) :rolleyes:
 

$BangforThe$

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
1,672
This article says differant. To be honest AMD is being overly optamistic here . mid 2007 could mean 1H or 2H If amd lives up to what we seen with hammer as this is more than likely the case . 2H2008 would be more about the time it will appear. Amd is having big problems with 65nm process. AM2 has been pulled from the market .

http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2637

I think K8L in the first half of 2008 is being optamistic. Now thats just going by AMD'S past track record. I hope I am wrong but given the problems with the 65nm process and AM2 being pulled from the market. H2 2008 is more than likely correct.
 

darktiger

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2007
Joined
Apr 10, 2003
Messages
11,819
Even though the conroe is good, I am waiting....My X2 3800+ oc, with my other 6 3200+(or higher) processors should be enough for now...
 

savantu

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
1,325
$BangforThe$ said:
This article says differant. To be honest AMD is being overly optamistic here . mid 2007 could mean 1H or 2H If amd lives up to what we seen with hammer as this is more than likely the case . 2H2008 would be more about the time it will appear. Amd is having big problems with 65nm process. AM2 has been pulled from the market .

http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2637

I think K8L in the first half of 2008 is being optamistic. Now thats just going by AMD'S past track record. I hope I am wrong but given the problems with the 65nm process and AM2 being pulled from the market. H2 2008 is more than likely correct.

Mid 2007 is may-july nothing more nothing less.....if they execute better than with the K8
:D
 

Ockie

*** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
17,995
$BangforThe$ said:
This article says differant. To be honest AMD is being overly optamistic here . mid 2007 could mean 1H or 2H If amd lives up to what we seen with hammer as this is more than likely the case . 2H2008 would be more about the time it will appear. Amd is having big problems with 65nm process. AM2 has been pulled from the market .

http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2637

I think K8L in the first half of 2008 is being optamistic. Now thats just going by AMD'S past track record. I hope I am wrong but given the problems with the 65nm process and AM2 being pulled from the market. H2 2008 is more than likely correct.



AM2 pulled from the market? WTF u talking about?
 

$BangforThe$

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
1,672
Since IDF this is what we got from AMD.

1.) AM2 2% performance gain (seems to be missing in action)

2) K8L mid 2007( Very optatmistic given AMD's very very small research team)


3) 4x4 which was stated to be coming soon. ( Yet its been reported that NO M/B makers have seen nor heard of it.) This is a year away . How much harder is K8L to deliver????

Amd is in trouble with Conroe and they are putting out a lot of hype right now. The bleeding hasn't even started yet. Face it Conroe caught AMD off guard and its going to take more than 1 year to counter it. Conroe took years to develop. K9 and K10 were scraped. So when was K8L started . Post a link to the first time any news was added About K8L than add 3+ years to that.


http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1061197&page=1
 

Asian Dub Foundation

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
7,940
$BangforThe$ said:
Since IDF this is what we got from AMD.

1.) AM2 2% performance gain (seems to be missing in action)

2) K8L mid 2007( Very optatmistic given AMD's very very small research team)


3) 4x4 which was stated to be coming soon. ( Yet its been reported that NO M/B makers have seen nor heard of it.) This is a year away . How much harder is K8L to deliver????

Amd is in trouble with Conroe and they are putting out a lot of hype right now. The bleeding hasn't even started yet. Face it Conroe caught AMD off guard and its going to take more than 1 year to counter it. Conroe took years to develop. K9 and K10 were scraped. So when was K8L started . Post a link to the first time any news was added About K8L than add 3+ years to that.


http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1061197&page=1


what AMD did to intel with the A64, intel is just returning the favor
 

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 5, 2001
Messages
11,286
$BangforThe$ said:
Face it Conroe caught AMD off guard and its going to take more than 1 year to counter it. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1061197&page=1

..kinda like when ATi came out with the 9700pro .. nVidia had it's pants down and wingy dingy flappen in the wind perhaps thinking that they couldnt be touched ..their immediate counter card was a flop , but now both companies are relatively neck and neck.

..perhaps history might repeat itself with AMD being in nVidia's shoes back then

:confused:

 

Ockie

*** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
17,995
Well I just bought an AM2 motherboard, so lets hope AMD does pull some amazing stunt... if they dont... then I'm going to be dissapointed.


I'm hoping for a punch point like how the opteron 165 was when it came out... super clocker, super cheap... overall a winner.
 

$BangforThe$

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
1,672
That would be nice for sure. Can you tell me when AMD had its first profitable year?

Amd cann't turn back the clock. Nor can they cut prices much without going back into the red. Their backs are up against the wall and we all know it .
 

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 24, 2004
Messages
7,004
I go for what will give me the best performance in my price range. This time it was a Pentium 4. Why you ask, when AMD walks all over it? Because HT is a great technology for my uses. Sure I game, but I dont game really that much, and I do alot more desktop activities and multi-task a good amount. Only costs me 160 dollars for this processor and performs very really for my usuage.

Go with what is the best and what is the best in your price range. Conroes seems like they are very competively priced and either way you choose, Conroe is going to be your choice.


Also for the 54 degrees in the BIOS debate. That is with the stock Intel heatsink. IMO, its a POS. All of the other places most likely put a aftermarkert one on it, like a Zalman or some other one.
 

savantu

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
1,325
Asian Dub Foundation said:
what AMD did to intel with the A64, intel is just returning the favor

When did a A64 with similar rating as the freq of a P4 actually beat it by more than 5 % ? ;)
 

visaris

Gawd
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
842
$BangforThe$ said:
2H2008 would be more about the time it will appear.
Yeah, let's just tack a whole year onto AMD's published release date... :rolleyes:

$BangforThe$ said:
Amd is having big problems with 65nm process.
Despite all the press and AMD statments that say 65nm will come early and start production at mature yeilds shipping volume models. :rolleyes:

$BangforThe$ said:
AM2 has been pulled from the market .
Despite the fact that NewEgg and many other retailers have AM2 CPUs and MBs in stock. :rolleyes:

----

You prove your worth with every post you make, $BangforThe$.
 

drizzt81

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
12,361
$BangforThe$ said:
But I ASSUME it won't be out till 2008 and Penryn should be out by than also.

Please, let's all make sure that we understand that the futurehas not yet happend, hence anything we say are assumptions. In fact AMD assumed that they will ship K8L in the first half of 2007, not in 2008.

$BangforThe$ said:

that article says ZERO about AM2 being "pulled from the market". What do you mean by that phrase anyway? I believe that (cf)eclipse has an AM2 CPU + mobo right now and I am almost certain that I can order an AM2 CPU from newegg right now, if I wanted to.
 

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 5, 2001
Messages
11,286
I just ordered an AM2 setup from newegg ..will be here Friday

my cc has been charged and everything .. seeing as how AM2's have all been pulled , maybe its time to call my lawyer ...?
:rolleyes:
 

Ockie

*** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
17,995
ThreeDee said:
I just ordered an AM2 setup from newegg ..will be here Friday

my cc has been charged and everything .. seeing as how AM2's have all been pulled , maybe its time to call my lawyer ...?
:rolleyes:


It hasn't been pulled.


And don't be so sad when the conroe comes out, byt the time it does come out, we would have already enjoyed a couple months on our AM2's :)
 

savantu

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
1,325
visaris said:
Despite all the press and AMD statments that say 65nm will come early and start production at mature yeilds shipping volume models. :rolleyes:

"AMD claims it's catching Intel on 65 nano tech

ROBERT RIVET, chief financial officer of AMD, spoke at the Goldman Sachs technology investment symposium 2005 and gave a fair amount of details on its process plans.

AMD is on track to produce 65 nanometre processors, he said. While he said that Intel is clearly behind AMD on 64-bit technology, AMD won't be that far behind the firm on the move to 65 nanometre. "

Friday 25 February 2005 The Inq

" The whole idea is to begin to process 65-nm in the middle of 2005 and bring it into production in 2006 "Tom Sonderman, the company's director of APM technologies
04/07/2005 EETIMES.com

Looks like they managed to keep on track , huh ? :rolleyes:

You prove your worth with every post you make, $BangforThe$.

Look who's talking , a !!!!!! who if AMD says the sky is green he is ready to die for that.Give it up , you're kinda pathetic... :rolleyes:
 

(cf)Eclipse

Freelance Overclocker
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Messages
30,027
savantu said:
Looks like they managed to keep on track , huh ? :rolleyes:
depends on how you read it. AMD did start working on 65nm back in '05, and are on track to release it in 2006. they never said when in 2006 ;)
 

Hito Bahadur

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2006
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
3,169
Exactly, they have been processing 65-nm for a year now. And wow, they will probably start production in 2006. Thanks for showing how AMD is on track savantu. Good to know they haven't gone off mark over the past year.

As far as yields and quantity, AMD might have a partner in Intel as there is a lot of speculation (and slides by Intel) that the Core 2 Duo is going to take a while to take over sales from Pentium 4 and Core Duo (25% of shipments by end of year)

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2771&p=6
 

Asian Dub Foundation

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
7,940
visaris said:
Yeah, let's just tack a whole year onto AMD's published release date... :rolleyes:


Despite all the press and AMD statments that say 65nm will come early and start production at mature yeilds shipping volume models. :rolleyes:


Despite the fact that NewEgg and many other retailers have AM2 CPUs and MBs in stock. :rolleyes:

----

You prove your worth with every post you make, $BangforThe$.

owned
 

savantu

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
1,325
Hito Bahadur said:
Exactly, they have been processing 65-nm for a year now. And wow, they will probably start production in 2006. Thanks for showing how AMD is on track savantu. Good to know they haven't gone off mark over the past year.

As far as yields and quantity, AMD might have a partner in Intel as there is a lot of speculation (and slides by Intel) that the Core 2 Duo is going to take a while to take over sales from Pentium 4 and Core Duo (25% of shipments by end of year)

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2771&p=6

Haha...nope...they are late with 65nm...very late.

And for Conroe being 25% of Intel's production that equals more or less AMD's total output.Are AMD CPUs hard to find ?
 

visaris

Gawd
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
842
savantu said:
And for Conroe being 25% of Intel's production that equals more or less AMD's total output.Are AMD CPUs hard to find ?
Well, to an extent, that is a valid point. By the very end of 2006, I don't think intel is going to have much of a Conroe capacity problem. Still, that is 6 months from now. How are things going to be at launch?
 

nobody_here

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
8,878
savantu said:
Haha...nope...they are late with 65nm...very late.

And for Conroe being 25% of Intel's production that equals more or less AMD's total output.Are AMD CPUs hard to find ?


while that may be true, the problem is not with total output capacity, but OEM's like Dell sucking the supply chain dry before any percentage of that 25% gets to the retail end of business, AMD doesn't exactly have a huge drain on supply channels in regards to OEM's, so they are readily available in retail
 

Hito Bahadur

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2006
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
3,169
savantu said:
Haha...nope...they are late with 65nm...very late.


Would you like to provide a source where AMD said that they would be producing production runs of 65nm parts earlier than mid-year 2006?

edit: This brief by AMD given in Nov2005 states that preliminary Engineering Silicon started in June 2005 and that volume production would start in the Second half of 2006 (July-Dec according to my math). Show me your evidence that AMD planned production earlier....

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/con...sets/Phil_Hester_AMD_Analyst_Day_11-15-05.pdf
 

pxc

Extremely [H]
Joined
Oct 22, 2000
Messages
33,064
Hito Bahadur said:
Would you like to provide a source where AMD said that they would be producing production runs of 65nm parts earlier than mid-year 2006?
AMD had been talking about 65nm since 2004. But AMD did state delays with 65nm late last year and Tom Sonderman mentioned FAB36 would "begin 65nm production by the end of 2006." (see below) Producing 65nm wafers doesn't mean 65nm CPUs are ready for sale. AMD showed a 65nm wafer this week, but none running.

This interview is 6 weeks old (bear with the babelfish translation): http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...ch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/0425/kaigai264.htm

Notice that the product launch for 65nm is at the very end of the year in the diagram. Yes AMD is on schedule as of the 10/05 update for an end of the year 2006 launch. And yes, AMD is late for mid-2006 production from earlier goals. The parts that are released at the end of 2006/beginning of 2007 will benefit from all the tweaking done during the delay. That's the silver lining. ;)
 

Hito Bahadur

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2006
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
3,169
pxc,

Not exactly arguing with you, but none of your links show amd saying that production 65nm was ever intended other than in 2006. I didn't see a mid-2006 date stated anywhere, just an editorial inferrence that 65nm was late because Fab 36 was always intended for 65nm...

I'm more than willing to concede the point. I just haven't seen any evidence that I'm wrong.
 

Obi_Kwiet

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
3,858
What most people don't realize is that the Netburst architecture of the P4's was crap. It was supposed to hit 10GHz, but it got stuck at 3. Intel hasn't even been competing with AMD since the A64, they've just been milking OEM market. Intel has finally released a next gen CPU. AMD's next gen CPU has not been released yet. This like the Nvidia fan boys saying "OMQ ATI is pwned! The 7800GTX is so much better than the X850XT PE!!" AMD's had three years to saturate the enthusiast market, and now Intel with have almost year to gain it's reputation back, until AMD releases a competing CPU. AM2 CPU's aren't even called new names. They just support DDR2. Big whoop. That's not a new product line, that's DDR2 support.

To all the people say, 'Ha ha Intel has pwned the AMD fan boys lol." shut up. You are fan boys and the fact that you can't see that makes it even more sad. Seriously, is everyone here 12? I'd have figured that being 16, I would be less mature than most other people here. :rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top