Man Builds Massive Megaprocessor In His Living Room

No tetris music while playing....totally unplayable.

I think we all have to officially give up our nerd credentials now.

"So what makes you a nerd?"
Nerd1: "I build all sorts of machines"
Nerd2: "I can code anything"
Nerd3: "I wrote a unix OS"
Nerd4: "I built a half ton processor from scratch in my living room to play tetris"

In unison: "Nerd4 you win."

:)

Now if they could only come up with a way to shrink that all down, maybe to the size of a potato chip, to fit in a portable case so the average person could have one and use it...

I kid, I kid. This is the best thing I have seen all year. Very cool that he built his own processor from scratch like that.

Looks like a teaching tool to me. Something you might have at a college to teach computer engineering type stuff.

I decided to skip through the video. That said, I thought that was really cool and would make an excellent teaching tool as well.

This is really amazing, mad props to this guy for creating such great work.
We've all heard of beautiful code, but in this case, this is beautiful engineering! (y)

Raise you hand if you can build a computer from scratch from discrete electronics components?
No hands? Hmmm...
I see that is a fantastic teaching aid. We need to know how these complex things actually work on a fundamental level.

Helped my dad build one in the basement as a kid. It was the size of three machine room racks and weighed a fuck ton, which I discovered when I got stuck dismantling it and throwing it out many years later.

It's neither as cool nor as fun as you might think when you are made to do it.

It's neither as cool nor as fun as you might think when you are made to do it.

One man's work is another man's pleasure. :cool:
Yes, it is just as much fun to make, even if we are made to it, haha.

Raise you hand if you can build a computer from scratch from discrete electronics components?
No hands? Hmmm...
I see that is a fantastic teaching aid. We need to know how these complex things actually work on a fundamental level.

My dad was an IBM tech like 30 years ago. One summer he forced me to help him build a 486 dx2 system from scratch, piece by piece, soldering ic by ic. It was not fun lol, more like torture. Its not how I wanted to spend a summer.

This is what I want to make. A great teaching tool and fun. I want to make it to fit in a shadow box style case and mount it on the wall. No games, of course. But, very educational. And smaller. :D The OP's computer would be a huge step up. Fun stuff.

1hz up to 8khz. Wow not even in any of the eras I was born in.

Last edited:
auiiFWD.gif

For fun. For learning. Curiosity.

Geeks/Nerds do a lot of things that beg the question "Why?". It's because we enjoy it, learning about it and just having fun with it. Being on [H], there's a lot of things that really have no reason to do other than to learn or have fun. Other people would ask "Why? That's dumb...". My wife asks me that all the time.

No hands? Hmmm...
I just hope he built to school premises at least lol.

Reminds me of the Redstone computers people built in the early days of Minecraft. Equally pointless, but also equally very cool anyway.

For fun. For learning. Curiosity.

Geeks/Nerds do a lot of things that beg the question "Why?". It's because we enjoy it, learning about it and just having fun with it. Being on [H], there's a lot of things that really have no reason to do other than to learn or have fun. Other people would ask "Why? That's dumb...". My wife asks me that all the time.
Oh I know. I just love having an excuse to use that gif. :p

The guy is a badass for building it from scratch... but damn he sucks at tetris. Just sayin.

rather impressive, I just turned in my nerd card as I don't qualify on this level.

Incredible! I would love to have that in my house, not to play Tetris; just to look at and show people. Hell, learn more about processors myself.

The full instruction set and some details about accessing the peripherals are provided: Megaprocessor - programming

It's going to be fun to see what gets submitted and requested to run on it. e.g. Raycaster, multiplayer with the emulator, et cetera.

Back