Man Blames Tesla Model X For Crashing Into Building

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are going to claim that your Tesla crashed into a building all by itself, you should probably know that the company can check the vehicle's logs to see if that is in-fact what happened. Or, for the conspiracy theorists out there, Musk is covering up for his Model X murder machines.

Our 5 day old Tesla X today while entering a parking stall suddenly and unexpectedly accelerated at high speed on its own climbing over 39 feet of planters and crashing into a building. The airbags deployed and my wife’s arms have burn marks as a consequence.

Oh man, James Hardie siding! $$$

Wouldn't necessarily surprise me if it were true but knowing humans, probably more like a shift of blame. And in this case, the latter.

So basically, the guy footed the wrong do-hickey and proceeded at ludicrous mode into the wall.

The fact he wants others with similar experiences to contact him kind of makes me think this is a scam and he's trying to extort some money from Tesla via the courts. The article seems to imply that his case is dissimilar to other cases before it and the autopilot feature shouldn't have even been active.

NHTSA will investigate. But this is highly unlikely. Even by complete throttle by wire systems there are at LEAST two encoders and output actuators that check themselves against each other. If one is in disagreement with the other, the car goes into LIMP mode. For this to occur, you would have to have simultaneous failure of both units.

I am more apt to believe autopilot software failure. Anybody who relies on software to drive a car is an idiot. It's only as good as the best programmer and when you start to look at 1 million lines of code, what do you think the chances are there's a weakness in the code in there?

Either way the crash computer will tell the true story.

Nothing Tesla can't handle with that interest free loan they got from the pre orders.

There is always some dumbass here in San Antonio that does that shit about every 3 days. Its either a drunk fuck or someone fucking with their phone. And these are people with regular cars. They will have to provide a lot of proof that the car did it on its own. I'm pretty sure that this accident was from idiocy not a possessed vehicle.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
So the guy didn't like the X, forgot that Tesla knows the last time you opened the glove box, and then proceeded to crash it into a building so he could blame autopilot and have his insurance pony up for a new SUV. amirite?

Having worked in tech support for too long some years ago, I can tell you that people are like this about almost anything tech-related. People blame the software, they make up scenarios, and flat out lie and it's hilarious the backpedaling they do when you can prove to them, with logs, that they are idiots.

Driver forgot to mention he was getting a "hummer" from his wife at the time. His right foot "autonomously" hit the accelerator. :D

Don't these things have some kind of 'Auto Stop' feature to avoid just this scenario? I find it hard to believe the sensors can't see the side of a building or does that feature get overridden if you mash the go pedal hard enough?

If it doesn't burn 6000 year old melted Jesus-a-saurus corpses, it's a left wing conspiracy against our freedom! The liberal media won't cover these millions of Tesla "accidents".
That didn't take long to bring religion into a non religious topic.

The comments are funny, there are people who actually try to defend the dude. Sure, it could be tesla lying... but seriously... no.

The woman was pulling into a parking spot when the accelerator pedal was abruptly increased to 100%. Kinda sounds like what happens when you think you're stepping on the brake. And of course if you think you're stepping on the brake and the car is still moving forward, panicking, you may continue holding it down.

Last edited:
I bet the wife was driving. Women get these amazing brain farts where they mix up the left and the right pedal and keep on pushing max throttle even though they see they're hitting the wall / other car / pedestrian / whatever.

Cases like that should have their licenses revoked permanently.

Hmm, this might be bullshit from the driver.. but Toyota swore to no end that it was the drivers, even when some guy not only killed some people (which ruins your life already) but also went to jail.. Meanwhile Toyota fully knowing the problems, still alleging the 'logs' showed this that and the other thing.

Hmm, this might be bullshit from the driver.. but Toyota swore to no end that it was the drivers, even when some guy not only killed some people (which ruins your life already) but also went to jail.. Meanwhile Toyota fully knowing the problems, still alleging the 'logs' showed this that and the other thing.
The driver of the Lexus killed people because he failed to react appropriately despite having multiple options available.

Don't these things have some kind of 'Auto Stop' feature to avoid just this scenario? I find it hard to believe the sensors can't see the side of a building or does that feature get overridden if you mash the go pedal hard enough?

It's not automatic. If it was automatic you would never be able to park this thing in a tight garage.

With the exception of a few cars with 3rd party floor mats that got stuck under the accelerator, almost all the other crashes where caused by people hitting the gas instead of the brake.
There where some fixes they put in place, but this was mostly fixing something that "might" cause a problem, not something that already did.

Human control cannot be trumped, or at least not yet... Wait a decade or two. Once there are standards and established AI packages in place, human control will shift from being the primary safety method to secondary.

I hope this coward driver is held responsible for his damages to his vehicle, the property, and to the company.
It angers me when people, who somehow came into money, act like this, these are poor examples of mankind.

With the exception of a few cars with 3rd party floor mats that got stuck under the accelerator, almost all the other crashes where caused by people hitting the gas instead of the brake.
There where some fixes they put in place, but this was mostly fixing something that "might" cause a problem, not something that already did.
bullshit to me (toyo's stance).. Their computer must have some defect, Im pretty sure they replaced the entire engine management computer on my toyota for the recall.. probably some coding error or some serious shit that was maybe triggered rarely.. but I think toyota is full shit.
Don't think I will buy a toyo again.

Look at all the airbags, looks like a slumber party in there.

Aren't the side airbags only supposed to go off for side impacts?

I bet the wife was driving. Women get these amazing brain farts where they mix up the left and the right pedal and keep on pushing max throttle even though they see they're hitting the wall / other car / pedestrian / whatever.

Cases like that should have their licenses revoked permanently.
You are correct, wife was driving.

The article said the log shows the pedal was depressed 100% I find it hard to believe that anyone would mash the pedal to the ground while parking. It is entirely plausible that the sensors for the accelerator pedal was defective. It may or may not be a systemic problem, but it wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened.

The article said the log shows the pedal was depressed 100% I find it hard to believe that anyone would mash the pedal to the ground while parking. It is entirely plausible that the sensors for the accelerator pedal was defective. It may or may not be a systemic problem, but it wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened.

I can totally see it. She was creeping into the parking spot, and before she stopped, started looking at her phone or reaching for her purse, realized how close she was to the curb, and meant to mash the brake pedal.

Search Google for people crashing into walls, stores, garages etc while parking, it is not a new thing, and is pretty common. People get distracted, go to push the brake but the car goes faster so they push harder, not remembering its the accelerator.

Humans lie about their mistakes and blame it on technology?????? Say it Isn't So! This is why when you like the a PC Tech who actually know what they are doing, they know you are full of shit.

bullshit to me (toyo's stance).. Their computer must have some defect, Im pretty sure they replaced the entire engine management computer on my toyota for the recall.. probably some coding error or some serious shit that was maybe triggered rarely.. but I think toyota is full shit.

Toyo makes tires.
Toyota makes automobiles.

Reactions: Ruoh
like this
*Sigh*

Theres no doubt in my mind this is 100% the drivers fault. People just dont take responsibility for their own fuck ups.

I was in a car accident a bit over a month ago. It was rainy, night time, and I lost control. Dont know how, but I did. I didnt blame the rain, or the car, or anything else. I just said well, that sucked. Glad I didnt hit anyone else, just ended up totaling my car in a ditch. Insurance tried to get me to say it was due to the wet road, I wouldnt do it. I just said, over and over, that I lost control, and have no clue how. They still paid my claim, without argument.

*Sigh*

Theres no doubt in my mind this is 100% the drivers fault. People just dont take responsibility for their own fuck ups.

I was in a car accident a bit over a month ago. It was rainy, night time, and I lost control. Dont know how, but I did. I didnt blame the rain, or the car, or anything else. I just said well, that sucked. Glad I didnt hit anyone else, just ended up totaling my car in a ditch. Insurance tried to get me to say it was due to the wet road, I wouldnt do it. I just said, over and over, that I lost control, and have no clue how. They still paid my claim, without argument.

If it was the agent he was probably trying to save you money, insurance wise, a crash that does not involve other cars and is due to weather conditions have very little impact on rates etc, a crash due to bad driving, or when you are at fault hitting other cars will put you into a higher risk category as the companies rate drivers.

They added extra protections (which I agree with by the way) such as if the gas gets stuck, and you also push down the brake, the car will gradually override the gas and slow the engine.

There was one researcher who tried to prove Toyota's design was at fault by splicing into the throttle wiring and injecting a signal to make the engine run faster.
Stupid proof, since what's the odds that something that can inject a specific encoded signal into your cable is somehow going to come in contact with the wiring (except for maybe some robot sent from the future)

*Sigh*

It probably was due to the rain, regardless acts of God aren't blaming others or to push blame off of your self, if it was determined that you weren't recklessly driving you are covered which is all the agent was trying to get you to say.

I hope this couple, along with a few people posting comments about the story are forced to be sterilized before they have kids and are put onto a list banned from adoption. We enough stupid people as is.

Tesla confirmed driver error she floored the accelerator via cars 'black box'

Why not? People do it all the time - think foot is on the brake, depress, start accelerating, panic, push harder on the "brake" (accelerator).

Back