Man Attacks Self-Driving Car in San Francisco’s Mission District

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
California’s first self-driving car “collision” of the year occurred on January 2nd, and it was a peculiar one: for reasons unknown, a pedestrian decided to strike the left side of a GM Cruise AV’s rear bumper and hatch with his entire body. The man was fine, but the car suffered damage to its right rear light.

Apparently, the Cruise AV has had a lot of activity in San Francisco. In 2017, GM filed 22 reports with the DMV because of collisions, although the Cruise was never at fault, according to the reports. Five of those collisions occurred in the Mission. The most recent incident, on Valencia Street, was California’s first self-driving car collision in 2018.

Somehow I got the image of this dude hiding behind a trash barrel to jump out and physically attack the car. My sides are in orbit.

It's happened to a prototype in Vegas, they called it Automation bullying or something. Here, it wasn't physical violence but messing with it (faking to jump out, things of that nature). Metro said that it was such a new scenario, it's something laws would need catch up on.

This is why auto manufacturers need to drop the idea of autonomous cars on city streets and instead focus on freeways/highways where there are no people walking around. You just can not account for crazy, and even if you some how can, it's not like people only cross at cross walks and wait until the light turns green WITH a "WALK" signal.

This is why auto manufacturers need to drop the idea of autonomous cars on city streets and instead focus on freeways/highways where there are no people walking around. You just can not account for crazy, and even if you some how can, it's not like people only cross at cross walks and wait until the light turns green WITH a "WALK" signal.
That's why they use GTAV to train autonomous vehicles since people do all sorts of strange stuff in that engine. Now if it can survive in GTA Online, i'll be impressed.

well if the software is to be used in other countries than the usa, it'd better be good at stopping when random pedestrians cross the road. we do it all the time in the uk. im sure it will cope well with random people/ object appearing unexpectedly

This reminds me of those dash cam videos where people walk out in front of cars and lay on the ground like they just got hit and if the driver stops way before they stand up and assault the car and try to make it look like they just got run over......

I dunno, maybe make the car NOT look like an autonomous car, so it won't attract unnecessary attention? Or are there some kinda insurance laws that require big logos/ads slapped everywhere?

snes46.png

Back