Malware problem...

DellAxim

Gawd
Recently I downloaded a "questionable" file and it was some sort of malware. Now, about every hour or so I see a command prompt window show up for half a second, and then my search page and other browser settings are changed to some other site. Not sure what else it is doing. I am running windows 10 and using Chrome. When I go into the settings on Chrome it detects the change and asks if I want it changed back, which I do. This keeps happening over and over.

I've downloaded the latest version of AVG and the latest definitions for the windows apps, but, nothing seems to be detecting this problem. Some trojan horse was found and removed but it keeps happening.

Any idea what to do next? Not sure what to do if AVG and Windows can't detect anything. :( This is very annoying...

I appreciate any advice.

Yea, AVG is boar-tit useless.

Malwarebytes will prolly knock it out.

FYI---Try to scan the drive as a slave in a known good system.

I have a USB drive caddy for just such occasions. They are cheap and really should be an essential PC component.

OK, installed malwarbytes but it says "Unable to connect to the service" when I try to open it. Any idea why?

Unfortunately I don't have access to another computer right now, as I am traveling.

OK, installed malwarbytes but it says "Unable to connect to the service" when I try to open it. Any idea why?

Unfortunately I don't have access to another computer right now, as I am traveling.

wasn't Microsoft blocking third party anti-virus?

i wonder if that's why it won't work.

You can make a bootable Linux CD/thumb drive and use Clamwin and scan it that way maybe.

Or google the infection and remove it manually. Most of those things are easy to find via registry etc.

no use roguekiller in this situation tigzy wrote it when you cant load malwarebytes services cause it uses a driver module instead. TigZy is one of the main devs of malwarebytes. try that first before the slightly more complex live cd options.
and when i say no, i mean no, first do this, then that.

dr web cureit is always nice as an extra scanner ( its a scan only AV)

but i think this dosbox popup has something to do with one of the Microsoft library installl/runtime thingy.... but for the love of Kyle i cant remember what it is.

for me i use a combo of farbars recovery tool and roguekiller, i use roguekiller to export list to farbars and bam. I got these steps actually from a microsoft KB article on how to remove a certain malware manually, and i have to say it cleans well, but you have to do a few passes especially for adware because that shit just knows how to propagate and hide itself.

Looks like roguekiller might have got it...will have to wait and see if it pops up again. Now for some reason my WIFI drivers are missing, but I'll figure that out later...

I appreciate the quick help everyone.

sometimes malware and adware like to disable internet connections and things of the like if you try to kill them, so that you cant google fixes, or download AV etc etc. chances are thats what happened there, i would uninstall the device completely, delete all drivers for it, then reboot, and see if windows detects it automatically, then install the fresh driver.

Also run 'sfc /scannow' from a command prompt to replace missing system files which don't always get replaced with a driver re-install.

Back