Malware Direct from IBM - Storwize Users Attention!

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
You longer have to look to pr0n sites or public torrents to get your daily dose of malware, IBM will now ship it directly to you! But wait there's more!

On a serious note to all our those [H]ardAdmins out there, this is something you at least need to be aware of; IBM Storwize USB Initialization Tool may contain malicious code.

IBM has detected that some USB flash drives containing the initialization tool shipped with the IBM Storwize V3500, V3700 and V5000 Gen 1 systems contain a file that has been infected with malicious code.

Affected Products:
The Initialization Tool on the USB flash drive with the partnumber 01AC585 that shipped with the following System models may have an infected file:
IBM Storwize V3500 - 2071 models 02A and 10A
IBM Storwize V3700 - 2072 models 12C, 24C and 2DC
IBM Storwize V5000 - 2077 models 12C and 24C
IBM Storwize V5000 - 2078 models 12C and 24C

IBM Storwize Systems with serial numbers starting with the characters 78D2 are not affected.

I wonder how that happened. No one says anything about that in the couple articles I have read.

O well. Remember folks, scan every disk you encounter BEFORE you install programs or copy files.

I have tons of these USB drives, first thing I do is format! LOL. You don't even need the stupid automated setup tool, you can just use a web browser to set up the disks.

We use v3700 and v7000s among many others.

I have tons of these USB drives, first thing I do is format! LOL. You don't even need the stupid automated setup tool, you can just use a web browser to set up the disks.

We use v3700 and v7000s among many others.

I setup a v3700 last year, and I am not even sure that touched the USB stick. Though apparently the issue is with 2017 USB disks, so if I find mine, I guess it will be malware free.

wasn'tt it IBM that had some issues as wel lwith malicos security certificats they installed in their default image ?

Back