Malta 7990 on Newegg

No wonder everyone hates new egg these days, bunch of con artists. Item was in my cart and added at the $699 price, and now being told they won't honor it because "the website is in process of updating the price" to $829. These guys are scum.

No wonder everyone hates new egg these days, bunch of con artists. Item was in my cart and added at the $699 price, and now being told they won't honor it because "the website is in process of updating the price" to $829. These guys are scum.

Welcome to real time pricing, amazon does it too as do most vendors.

Yeah, businesses should lose money just to give you bragging rights on some forum. The scum.

Is this GPU made in Global Foundry's new Malta fab, is that where the name comes from?

With these price cuts, should I consider returning my 780 for one of these? I'm gaming on a 1440p screen atm

With these price cuts, should I consider returning my 780 for one of these? I'm gaming on a 1440p screen atm

I wouldn't go quite that far, it's still more expensive, and the 7990 is a good amount slower than 7970 Crossfire (7990 is not a ton faster than the GTX 780 even). Now, jumping to two 7970 Ghz's with the framepacing driver out in the wild, would be a good potential option if you can find a deal on them to match the price of the 780 or a little more.

Last edited:
Yeah, businesses should lose money just to give you bragging rights on some forum. The scum.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: This old song again. It's a price drop at several retailers from the manufacturer, not something they are losing money on. They just got greedy and figured they'd squeeze a few more bucks out of customers. You must be a business owner. A pox on those peasants! They should be so lucky as to patronize you!

I wouldn't go quite that far, it's still more expensive, and the 7990 is a good amount slower than 7970 Crossfire (7990 is not a ton faster than the GTX 780 even). Now, jumping to two 7970 Ghz's with the framepacing driver out in the wild, would be a good potential option if you can find a deal on them to match the price of the 780 or a little more.

Can you link to your benchmarks?

Just a quick check showed 7990 besting a Titan by 25-50% in some games.
http://techreport.com/review/25167/frame-pacing-driver-aims-to-revive-the-radeon-hd-7990

For a small % of dollars, that can be a worthwhile jump for a single-monitor user.

jackstar, how is your 7990 + 7970 setup working out? Thinking of getting a 7990 soon after the recent price drop, and already have a Sapphire OC w/ Boost 7970. Was going to sell it (or give away to good buddy) and go 7990 only, but your sig has me thinkin...

http://techreport.com/review/25167/frame-pacing-driver-aims-to-revive-the-radeon-hd-7990

For a small % of dollars, that can be a worthwhile jump for a single-monitor user.

well I was going to go with a 780 galaxy HOF which costs 689$. A 7990 from tigerdirect would be 699$ so the price is almost identical. If the performance is a noticeable improvement over the 780, I dont see why I shouldnt go with the 7990. I just haven't used AMD/ATI cards since the X800 series

well I was going to go with a 780 galaxy HOF which costs 689$. A 7990 from tigerdirect would be 699$ so the price is almost identical. If the performance is a noticeable improvement over the 780, I dont see why I shouldnt go with the 7990. I just haven't used AMD/ATI cards since the X800 series

I had a Titan for a few weeks and 7990 is noticeably faster. At bare minimum ~25-30% faster in many games, which would put it at 35-40% faster than a 780. The increase is very beneficial at 2560x1600 (res I game at).

The new drivers are great also, though you may want to wait until AMD releases phase 2 if you game on multiple displays.

By "not a ton faster" I meant if you look at it from the viewpoint of two GPU's vs. one, and overclocking potential of each setup. I hadn't seen it being quite that much quicker (25-50% as you're saying) on the hardwarecanucks reviews I looked at but I was just looking at the frame numbers instead of the percentage difference. As I've said in other threads (I think this one too) the 7990 or 7970 CF are good options at this point, if you're OK with dual GPUs.

Edit... Also keep in mind the 780 gains 25pct easily over reference when oc'd, some come stock with nice oc placing them faster than the Titan out of the box so no luck involved . So, the gap is not quite so big since the 7990 has very little oc
headroom. There also is the uneven scaling which is bad in some, good in some, for games with crossfire (7990 dual gpu). And frame Pacing isn't working for dx9 or 10 yet.

Last edited:
jackstar, how is your 7990 + 7970 setup working out? Thinking of getting a 7990 soon after the recent price drop, and already have a Sapphire OC w/ Boost 7970. Was going to sell it (or give away to good buddy) and go 7990 only, but your sig has me thinkin...

Well, I mainly play BF3 and really nothing more demanding than that, so my tri-fire is actually still CPU starved, I believe or just limted by the engine.

But the experience itself is solid. No issues for me either with my single monitor now, nor when I had 2 flanking 1080p 120Hz monitors with it.

One note, I did move from a 2500K to a 3770K particularly because I found a deal on this mobo with the dual x16 slots so I wouldn't wind up bandwidth starved for the 7990.

Also, I've never actually taken out the extra 7970 to see what the differences are. I suppose I should do that at some point...

I got my 2nd 7990 enroute. Powercolor 7990 V2 Malta... It will bere Tuesday... I'm so stoked!!!

and yes they will be both watercooled.

One 7990 pushing 5400x1920 is struggling in alot of games....

I'll post benchies as soon as I can...

Well I got a dud card... Only one GPU showing up in CCC.. and when I ran Firestrike... I only scored 6691 and with the other 7990 I scored 10,800. I tried both bios switches and endless drivers.. the other 7990 I got is working perfectly fine. This one I got as a sponsorship and I have wrote them an email asking for an RMA. Hopefully they are cool about it. I will update and let you guys know what happens....

Back