Making xbox controller port for 5 3/4in drive slot

im makin a plate that has the ports for xbox controllers mounted directly in it. im oging to use a powered usb hub to split a signal b/c i dont have 4 open usb plugs on my mobo.
Ill keep uall updated....

Sorry, I got really into the project and didnt have time to take out to post on the forum. I have uploaded pics now :D

they will be comign in a few min.

Donor parts....

Small Nuts and bolts.
Piece of Rubber
Fan plug adapter thing(will explain later)
USB hub (powered mine had a 5V power inverter so i could use the power from the Power supply)
IM002157thumbnail.jpg

Front Faceplate
IM002152thumbnail.jpg

xbox controller ports
IM002160thumbnail.jpg

Time for tinkering...

You have to cut the base on the Ports so they can sit side by side.
if you look, the left side of one, the black is completely cut off, and on the right side of the other as well. Then I cut the other sides halfway off so the spacing was equal between all 4 ports.
IM002160.jpg

Then I took apart the USB hub
IM002158.jpg

Looking at the circuit board i was able to identify ground and then knew that the coloring order goes Black-Green-White-Red. (The Yellow wire for the xbox controller is not needed to just use the controller. I dont know about using the Headset or memory or anything else, but if just the controller then ignore the yellow wire)
IM002162zoom.jpg

I then Proceeded Cut off the end of the wire and to soder the wires onto the board. Sry, no pics of the sodering, I got really into it and forgot to take pics :D

Ok, I lied, I foudn one after i got 1 controller port on. (I took a break to test it to make sure it worked.
IM002163.jpg

and with all 4 on.
IM002164.jpg

Since the bracket i was mounting it too was metal, i cut a piece of rubber for under the circuit board to make sure that nothign got screwed up.
IM002165.jpg

I then Drilled holes through the metal bracket that corresponded with the holes on the circuit board, and also drilled holes through the black mount on the ports and the metal below it.
Mounted to bracket.
IM002170.jpg

Then, using a dremel, I cut holes in the plastic cover that goes in the 5 3/4 slot when no drive is in there. i made them the size of the xbox controller ports and in the exact position so it would fit snugly. I then Hot Glued it to the ports so it didnt come off.
IM002171.jpg

IM002173.jpg

After finding out what wire in the power plug for the hub was + and what was - i cut the end off. I connected it with an adaptor that used to allow me to plug a fan into a power supply plug. It is VERY IMPORTANT that the plug that came out of the +12V on the plug was changed to the red. Origionally the Fan plug came out of the yellow wire on the extension and i had to pull that out and put it in the RED one (5V). if that isnt done, it prolly wouldnt be too happy. I then connected the power plug to the extension/adaptor thingy. (is there an actual name for that? i dont know)
IM002172.jpg

The USB plug did not need altered in my case, i have an internal USB port so i could just plug it right in, but in another case, it may become necessary to make an adaptor to plug directly into the USB on the motherboard, but you should probably make sure you knwo what your doing first( dont mean to insult anyones intelligence, just would hate to see someone screw something expensive up)

anyways...
I measured to drill holes to mount it in a cd drive rack and did so. Then installed hardware, Googled to find drivers and tested. Works perfectly.

IM002175.jpg

Out of pocket expenses. $5 for the ports.
Estimated cost to build starting with nothing to donate, $15
I know there are plenty of other ways of doing this, but this is how i did it. It was a fun project, make sure you are pretty good with a sodering iron or u could really screw up the board.

If someone wants to know exactly what tools i used. just ask but this is a long post as it is so im not going to make it longer.

Now we talking baby! Are the donor ports from an xbox or something else?

I bought the ports off of ebay, yes they are from an xbox. version 1.6 it said on the auction, but i doubt that it matters in this case

bmxfelon420 said:
looks good, but why use xbox controllers? they're terrible...
Are you still thinking of the controllers that launched with the system? They are a lot better and smaller now.

bmxfelon420 said:
looks good, but why use xbox controllers? they're terrible...

Only if you have midget hands! It's about time, some other company other than sega made a controler for people with non Japanese hands.

Yeah they make the controler S for the Xbox but the original is syill the best!

That is pretty sweet. Would there be any reason a wheel and pedal set for Xbox wouldnt work with something like this?

yeah i used to think they were ok until i played mortal kombat on the xbox and realized how terrible the buttons are for any game that requires precision pressing. The ps2 controller rapes it in that category.

i wouldnt imagine there being a problem using a wheel and pedal set with it. I dont have one I could test or i would.

newtype said:
Yeah they make the controler S for the Xbox but the original is still the best!

I totally agree, the original is the best. I have smaller hands and I still prefer the big controller, it just feels better. My roomates think i am retarded for liking the large controller.

Nice mod by the way!

Is this a precursor to modding an xbox??? If so, you can't go wrong with a modchip or tsop-flash and large harddrive, best investment I have ever made, aside from probably paying for college (i would think that would be worth it also :D )

do you use the XBCD driver? thats what i use and i love it. being able to use each trigger as an analog axis is awesome for NFS!

I left the LEDs in, I didnt feel like trying to mess with them and they werent in the way so you can see them in my case from the side and its not that bad.

I am planning on modding an Xbox next, Is there a spot on this forum for that? Im still new here and exploring what all is on here.

and finally, Yes i am using the XBCD driver and the ControlMK from the same site. I can use the controller for ANY game that i have found, even searching the internet and using the onscreen keyboard, but it is a bit slower than regular typing :D

Ah. For Xbox modding, I would suggest heading over to another site; this one, while good, won't do any justice in that respect.
Do a google for Xbox Scene, they'll help you over there.

And for pedals/the like, they probably won't work. You probably noticed that there's the extra 5th wire on the controller ports (the yellow wire), and that's what's needed to use the pedals/wheel. I've heard that some companies' wheel sets work, but most don't without that magical 5th wire connected to the 'box.

im confused as to the purpose of this mod...someone elaborate plz?
what are the "xbox" ports going to do for you? does it allow you to use an original xbox controller with windows?
i am aware the 360 controller works flawlessly in windows with the microsoft driver.

Haste266 said:
im confused as to the purpose of this mod...someone elaborate plz?
what are the "xbox" ports going to do for you? does it allow you to use an original xbox controller with windows?

yes

i have heard the 360 controller is usb and works perfectly, but they are expensive and i dont have any yet so this allows me to use the controllers cheap and easy. I am afterall a poor college student :D

Back