Making Windows 10 'look/act like' Windows 7 for Parents

OrangeWolf

Gawd
Planning to get my parents a new laptop for their... holy crap, 49th Anniversary. Wow.

Er hem. So anyway. Mom is pretty good with computers - retired from teaching office technology stuff several years ago - but she has never used Windows 10. I don't use Windows 10 regularly either, since both of my computers are still running Win7 as is my work computer. I'm confident of my own ability to just deal with any irritations Win10 brings, but I'd really prefer to just set up my parents computer to function like Win7 if possible so they don't feel frustrated.

So is there an easy way to make Win10 appear like Win7 superficially without having to download and install extra software (like 'classic shell') or screw around manually with the registry?

Just a knee jerk reaction to installing third party software. Whenever I install things like that I always feel like I have to continually follow up to update and maintain it and keep an 'eye on it' just in case it acts up.

Unless they're doing a lot more than using web browsers, why not just stick with Windows 10 stock? It's not THAT much different than Win7. Just pin their browser to the task bar and move on.

Other than a slightly different start menu, just pin the File Explorer to task bar and install their preferred browser. Classic Shell comes with it's own irritations.

Windows 10 is never going away, might as well get used to it now. But if you insist, you can follow this guide to make a Windows 7 clone out of 10. Focus more on the bottom half for GUI changes. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748494-windows-95-install-guide/

Just a knee jerk reaction to installing third party software. Whenever I install things like that I always feel like I have to continually follow up to update and maintain it and keep an 'eye on it' just in case it acts up.

If you don't want software to have to "keep an eye on" then Windows 10 is a strange choice to begin with, since there's never been a version of Windows with more hacks and tweaks required to tame it and get back some control. At least if you care at all about your privacy and sanity. Prepare to get phonecalls that "I went on the computer and all my work was gone" and "why do I keep getting these advertisements" because Windows 10 forced a reboot or the latest update turned advertisements back on and reset settings back to MS defaults.

Classic Shell comes with it's own irritations.

Such as? I've been using classicshell on Win8.1 for years with no irritations, maybe there is a reason it is on Win10 but I'm betting you just said that because you are a Microsoft fan and no due to a valid concern. Win8.1 would be unusable without classicshell, IMO. I hated Win10 so much on my laptop I put Linux on it.

Funny. I could go back and quote the exact same lines verbatim about Windows 8 and the start screen. "Just get used to it, it's here to stay".
It is still here, just a bit different.
Such as? I've been using classicshell on Win8.1 for years with no irritations, maybe there is a reason it is on Win10 but I'm betting you just said that because you are a Microsoft fan and no due to a valid concern. Win8.1 would be unusable without classicshell, IMO. I hated Win10 so much on my laptop I put Linux on it.
Just a bunch of configuration required, right click oddities, sometimes it doesn't load right, etc. I also use it on many machines but prefer the Win 10 menu.

You can certainly customize classicshell to your liking but out of the box it is perfectly usable and requires very little user selections.

Reactions: muz_j
like this
Been using Classic Shell on my 10 install for months without issues. My PC looks/acts like 7. Wouldn't not hesitate to recommend to anyone.

Reactions: muz_j
like this
Funny. I could go back and quote the exact same lines verbatim about Windows 8 and the start screen. "Just get used to it, it's here to stay".

I think there's a significant different...the Win 8 Start screen was VERY different, and lacked a great deal of the functionality of the old system. The new Win10 menus have the same functionality, just arranged slightly differently and with a few extra bits.

I think there's a significant different...the Win 8 Start screen was VERY different, and lacked a great deal of the functionality of the old system. The new Win10 menus have the same functionality, just arranged slightly differently and with a few extra bits.
He's trying to imply that people think an OS change is permanent and is giving an example of Microsoft back-walking a feature so-to-speak where people once thought it was permanent. That's why I pointed out that it's really not gone and is still here just different. The Windows 10 start menu is basically a shrunk down version of 8.1 screen. The full screen option is also still there.

He's trying to imply that people think an OS change is permanent and is giving an example of Microsoft back-walking a feature so-to-speak where people once thought it was permanent. That's why I pointed out that it's really not gone and is still here just different. The Windows 10 start menu is basically a shrunk down version of 8.1 screen. The full screen option is also still there.

You're not wrong, but really almost no OS featuers are "permanent"...An OS or almost any software is constantly evolving. Sometimes you like the changes, sometimes you don't...

Well, thanks for the thoughts everyone!

That said, I grabbed a new (unopened at least) Thinkpad T560 off the Lenovo Outlet for $660 that (gasp!) had Windows 7 installed on it. Windows 7, SSD, FHD screen. It's the size they wanted (15.6") and the keyboard should be similar to my X230 (which I was pleased enough with).

I'll probably go with Win10 for my next rig though, and since it will be on my own machine I expect I'll give Classic Shell a go. We shall see.

That said, I grabbed a new (unopened at least) Thinkpad T560 off the Lenovo Outlet for $660 that (gasp!) had Windows 7 installed on it. Windows 7, SSD, FHD screen. It's the size they wanted (15.6") and the keyboard should be similar to my X230 (which I was pleased enough with).

Smart man.

I'll probably go with Win10 for my next rig though, and since it will be on my own machine I expect I'll give Classic Shell a go. We shall see.

If anything, ClassicShell and StartIsBack will be the one component in Windows 10 that you can actually count on not to change on you in the middle of the night - the one component that will require zero babysitting or maintenance. Everything else? You're at the mercy of Microsoft's marketing department, who have demonstrated a shameless willingness to abuse the once trustworthy windows update system to fill the start menu and core OS with games, apps, toys and advertisements.

Last edited:
Windows 10 is never going away, might as well get used to it now. But if you insist, you can follow this guide to make a Windows 7 clone out of 10. Focus more on the bottom half for GUI changes. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748494-windows-95-install-guide/

Just because it's "never going away" doesn't mean it has a good user interface.
I'm quite aware of the exact changes in the OS - and for me, it's a step backwards.
Each to their own - but Win 10's interface is pretty poozy in my book. Eg: the steps required to get to a LOT of OS settings have increased. That's a negative from an efficiency perspective...regardless of your view point.
Linux demonstrates very well that not all user interfaces are equal.

Nah, not while Linux just keeps getting better and Windows 10 just keeps getting worse...
Linux has been "getting better", "getting more games" and "going to take over the desktop" for 20 years.

There are WAY to many distros for Linux to ever settle down.

Linux has been "getting better", "getting more games" and "going to take over the desktop" for 20 years.

There are WAY to many distros for Linux to ever settle down.

That's generalised bullshit.

Modern Linux distro's suffer from none of the issues of 20 years ago, Linux is moving forwards while Windows is going backwards and Vulkan is a literal game changer.

14 games released under Steam in two days alone.

The year of the Linux desktop is whenever your ready to switch to something better, things are nothing like they were 20 years ago.

You Windows folk have just gotta let go of that 20 years ago bullshit. ;)

Last edited:

Modern Linux distro's suffer from none of the issues of 20 years ago, Linux is moving forwards while Windows is going backwards and Vulkan is a literal game changer.

The year of the Linux desktop is whenever your ready to switch to something better, things are nothing like they were 20 years ago.

I agree that Linux is way better than it used to be and is an excellent alternative to Windows. Never denied that. I'm just saying it's not going to replace Windows anytime soon to even both worrying about. In 5 years Linux has gone from about 1% to about 2% market share while Windows maintains a comfortable 88%.

What you are forgetting, or intentionally ignoring, is a vast majority of people don't give a crap about the stuff we talk about here. Most people just buy a device and use it the way it comes out of the box.

I agree that Linux is way better than it used to be and is an excellent alternative to Windows. Never denied that. I'm just saying it's not going to replace Windows anytime soon to even both worrying about. In 5 years Linux has gone from about 1% to about 2% market share while Windows maintains a comfortable 88%.

What you are forgetting, or intentionally ignoring, is a vast majority of people don't give a crap about the stuff we talk about here. Most people just buy a device and use it the way it comes out of the box.

Windows does everything I want and more, it's the OS used on my main business PC and everything runs beautifully. We have no idea how many users are running Linux.

Judging by the comments directed at Windows 10 on these very forums, I'd say people care a lot more about the OS used on their PC that you think they do. In my experience as a PC tech, even the masses know their PC has updated to Windows 10 in an very manipulative, underhanded fashion and they're not one bit happy about it.

Last edited:
Just disable Cortana. That's pretty much all you have to do in windows 10. Then after you disable Cortana, remove all the pinned start menu stuff that gets pinned by default, disable automatic updates, and you're good to go.

Just disable Cortana. That's pretty much all you have to do in windows 10. Then after you disable Cortana, remove all the pinned start menu stuff that gets pinned by default, disable automatic updates, and you're good to go.
I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what but cortana (searchui.exe?) removal results in not being able to type into the start menu for finding items. Good for server 2016 where I know most of the MSC commands for the run dialog but no bueno for finding software.

Well, I see that another ask for help has been turned into a Linux Vs. Windows 10 thread, by the usual culprits. OP, in all seriousness, if you have a Windows 7 license sitting around, I would just use that. Otherwise, take a few minutes and teach them the ins and outs of Windows 10, they will quickly see what is going on. (Just try to make the desktop similar to what they had before, with the icons all in the same place.)

Well, I see that another ask for help has been turned into a Linux Vs. Windows 10 thread, by the usual culprits. OP, in all seriousness, if you have a Windows 7 license sitting around, I would just use that. Otherwise, take a few minutes and teach them the ins and outs of Windows 10, they will quickly see what is going on. (Just try to make the desktop similar to what they had before, with the icons all in the same place.)
True and the point is moot because any linux distro is going to have just as much if not more of a learning curve than 10. I'm not the biggest fan of 10 but if my 77 year old dad can navigate 10, my vote here goes to installing classicshell and being done with it.

Ok, I have been installing Classic Shell on "Joe Average" user computers since Windows 8. Not one has come back and asked for its removal, nor need any support on how to use it. It is a "set it and forget it" FREE program. Using it now on my 8.1 pro lappy. Make sure you turn off Cortana as much as possible.

Some of Windows 10's major updates will screw up Classic Shell (especially if it is customized the way I do it), but it does not long to put it back to my way.

So no, just no. I use Linux now as my primary OS, but that "generalized bullshit" still exists today regardless of how much you want to deny it. Linux is going forward huh? Here's the issues that Linux has had for 20 years:

1. X is old and still sucks, especially with NVIDIA. And don't give me that crap about Wayland. Shipping in one distro (Fedora) doesn't count as shipped in my book.
  2. Audio support is awful. PulseAudio and ALSA have been crap for years upon years.
  3. Vulkan is cross platform so what's your point exactly? On top of that, once you take into account that games are still being developed primarily with DX and OGL in mind (Windows and Xbox are DX, and to my knowledge Sony has not announced for support with Vulkan), I wouldn't count on Vulkan actually changing that much unless Sony gets on board. Consoled may suck, but they do have a huge part in driving the industry.
  4. 14 games released in two days? Great, that still doesn't change the fact that out of the almost 300 games in my Steam library, only ~75 are supported under linux, and those that do exist are using OpenGL (save for Mad Max which has a Vulkan beta) and they perform horribly.
  5. Installing software is much much better, but it still has issues. DEB and RPM are great, but unless you are on a rolling release, you almost never have the latest version. Rolling releases are nice unless you like being able to run the official drivers for your GPU.
  6. Network transfer rates are still garbage on non-manually mounted shares. (KIO and GVFS are inefficient and need an overhaul)

Shall I continue?

All in all, I do love using Linux, but to claim that it's ready to be the desktop is just asinine and wishful thinking. Linux has a long ways to go before it can even come close to being a viable replacement for Windows or MacOS in the general computing world. That is reality.

Last edited:
Had the same issue with my Mother who is older, I spent five bucks and got her start10 from Stardock just like I went and got her start8 for Windows 8 for the same reasons.

They update and keep it patched for all the myriad windows changes, haven't had a problem with it.

So no, just no. I use Linux now as my primary OS, but that "generalized bullshit" still exists today regardless of how much you want to deny it. Linux is going forward huh? Here's the issues that Linux has had for 20 years:

1. X is old and still sucks, especially with NVIDIA. And don't give me that crap about Wayland. Shipping in one distro (Fedora) doesn't count as shipped in my book.
  2. Audio support is awful. PulseAudio and ALSA have been crap for years upon years.
  3. Vulkan is cross platform so what's your point exactly? On top of that, once you take into account that games are still being developed primarily with DX and OGL in mind (Windows and Xbox are DX, and to my knowledge Sony has not announced for support with Vulkan), I wouldn't count on Vulkan actually changing that much unless Sony gets on board. Consoled may suck, but they do have a huge part in driving the industry.
  4. 14 games released in two days? Great, that still doesn't change the fact that out of the almost 300 games in my Steam library, only ~75 are supported under linux, and those that do exist are using OpenGL (save for Mad Max which has a Vulkan beta) and they perform horribly.
  5. Installing software is much much better, but it still has issues. DEB and RPM are great, but unless you are on a rolling release, you almost never have the latest version. Rolling releases are nice unless you like being able to run the official drivers for your GPU.
  6. Network transfer rates are still garbage on non-manually mounted shares. (KIO and GVFS are inefficient and need an overhaul)

Shall I continue?

All in all, I do love using Linux, but to claim that it's ready to be the desktop is just asinine and wishful thinking. Linux has a long ways to go before it can even come close to being a viable replacement for Windows or MacOS in the general computing world. That is reality.

I don't experience any of those issues.

I run Nvidia drivers and have no problems with X, it's old, there's code under Windows that's old, but it's seen it's share of improvements and works fine for me. I don't have an issue with pulseaudio, never have, in fact I don't know what all the fuss is about. I never argued that Vulkan wasn't cross platform, fact is better cross platform support removes the DX>OGL wrapper issues currently being experienced under Linux and allows for far easier porting. Gaming performance is more than adequate in my experience, I don't need 120fps on a 60Hz monitor to enjoy a great gaming experience - Undeniably an issue based around titles played and an issue that will hopefully be sorted with the adoption of a cross platform API like Vulkan. Steam support is still growing and I see that as a good thing. If you've lost too many titles switching to Linux than run Windows. In relation to installing the latest version of software, I install the developers PPA and my software updates to the latest version along with system updates if I choose to allow the OS to do so, so I'm not sure what you're on about there? Furthermore, I've never experienced a dependency issue. My network transfer rates are identical to my Windows machine using the Broadcom ethernet interface of all things on my Dell T5500.

Personally, I think you either have issues with your install or should switch to another distro. However I expect that you're simply going to claim bullshit on my behalf because I don't experience issues from 20 years ago?

You can continue if you want, but I'm really not interested. Based on my experience Linux is more than capable as a desktop OS, I'm not too sure what you mean by the desktop OS, but bear in mind that Windows has it's issues also - It's impossible to even try to claim that Windows is issue free.

Last edited:
I don't experience any of those issues.

I run Nvidia drivers and have no problems with X, it's old, there's code under Windows that's old, but it's seen it's share of improvements and works fine for me. I don't have an issue with pulseaudio, never have, in fact I don't know what all the fuss is about. I never argued that Vulkan wasn't cross platform, fact is better cross platform support removes the DX>OGL wrapper issues currently being experienced under Linux and allows for far easier porting. Gaming performance is more than adequate in my experience, I don't need 120fps on a 60Hz monitor to enjoy a great gaming experience - Undeniably an issue based around titles played and an issue that will hopefully be sorted with the adoption of a cross platform API like Vulkan. Steam support is still growing and I see that as a good thing. If you've lost too many titles switching to Linux than run Windows. In relation to installing the latest version of software, I install the developers PPA and my software updates to the latest version along with system updates if I choose to allow the OS to do so, so I'm not sure what you're on about there? Furthermore, I've never experienced a dependency issue. My network transfer rates are identical to my Windows machine using the Broadcom ethernet interface of all things on my Dell T5500.

Personally, I think you either have issues with your install or should switch to another distro. However I expect that you're simply going to claim bullshit on my behalf because I don't experience issues from 20 years ago?

You can continue if you want, but I'm really not interested. Based on my experience Linux is more than capable as a desktop OS, I'm not too sure what you mean by the desktop OS, but bear in mind that Windows has it's issues also - It's impossible to even try to claim that Windows is issue free.
So, I'm glad you don't experience those issues, but they do exist. I'm glad things work well for you, but you also missed my point. My point was that to claim Linux doesn't have those issues is disingenuous, just as claiming Windows doesn't have issues is. I never said Windows doesn't have issues. I was trying to make the point that claiming Linux is just install and go isn't true, whereas that is the case for the most part with Windows. I also agree that 120 fps isn't required to have a good experience. The problem I have is with frame pacing. In almost every OGL game I run (Linux Mint, Kernel 4.10, nvidia 381.09 and 378.13) I have horrible frame pacing issues. I don't think this is so much NVIDIA's fault as I blame OGL and Feral being a lazy company. Where I do blame NVIDIA and X is window compositing on the desktop. With my current configuration I can't have Chrome (with hardware acceleration enabled) or Steam occupying the same workspace as any other window because of the frame judder. This is a well known and documented issue with the NVIDIA composition pipeline that has yet to be fixed. Wayland fixes this, but there's currently only one way to get Wayland, and I can't stand Fedora or GNOME.

You made the statement that Windows is moving backwards, and I just don't agree. I'd agree that Windows is becoming more intrusive, hence the reason I recently switched to Linux full time as opposed to as a hobby, but technologically they are anything but regressing. The Windows 10 core is actually very well made. It's efficient, stable, fast. If it wasn't for all the telemetry non-sense I'd have no issues sticking with it. Yes it still has its issues, but anything man made has problems. I'm just sick of Windows people trashing Linux, and Linux people trashing Windows, with both parties believing that everything is great on their side of the fence. The opposite is true.

The "the desktop os" comment was unintentionally sent your way from another post I'd read that I accidentally thought was yours. Sorry for all the snarkiness. Long day at work.

PS. As far as network speeds, I'm still wrestling with this one. Regardless of distro (Antergos, Mint, Ubuntu, Manjaro, and Fedora) I max out at about 58 MB/s to/from my NAS, while on Windows I see ~100 MB/s. That is when using gvfs or KIO. I have better results when manually mounting using smb4k or an fstab entry, but that's not ideal. Intel I217v NIC. I don't think it's an issue with configuration, I think it's just either smb (unlikely) or KIO/gvfs depending on which DE I'm using.

So, I'm glad you don't experience those issues, but they do exist. I'm glad things work well for you, but you also missed my point. My point was that to claim Linux doesn't have those issues is disingenuous, just as claiming Windows doesn't have issues is. I never said Windows doesn't have issues. I was trying to make the point that claiming Linux is just install and go isn't true, whereas that is the case for the most part with Windows. I also agree that 120 fps isn't required to have a good experience. The problem I have is with frame pacing. In almost every OGL game I run (Linux Mint, Kernel 4.10, nvidia 381.09 and 378.13) I have horrible frame pacing issues. I don't think this is so much NVIDIA's fault as I blame OGL and Feral being a lazy company. Where I do blame NVIDIA and X is window compositing on the desktop. With my current configuration I can't have Chrome (with hardware acceleration enabled) or Steam occupying the same workspace as any other window because of the frame judder. This is a well known and documented issue with the NVIDIA composition pipeline that has yet to be fixed. Wayland fixes this, but there's currently only one way to get Wayland, and I can't stand Fedora or GNOME.

You made the statement that Windows is moving backwards, and I just don't agree. I'd agree that Windows is becoming more intrusive, hence the reason I recently switched to Linux full time as opposed to as a hobby, but technologically they are anything but regressing. The Windows 10 core is actually very well made. It's efficient, stable, fast. If it wasn't for all the telemetry non-sense I'd have no issues sticking with it. Yes it still has its issues, but anything man made has problems. I'm just sick of Windows people trashing Linux, and Linux people trashing Windows, with both parties believing that everything is great on their side of the fence. The opposite is true.

The "the desktop os" comment was unintentionally sent your way from another post I'd read that I accidentally thought was yours. Sorry for all the snarkiness. Long day at work.

PS. As far as network speeds, I'm still wrestling with this one. Regardless of distro (Antergos, Mint, Ubuntu, Manjaro, and Fedora) I max out at about 58 MB/s to/from my NAS, while on Windows I see ~100 MB/s. That is when using gvfs or KIO. I have better results when manually mounting using smb4k or an fstab entry, but that's not ideal. Intel I217v NIC. I don't think it's an issue with configuration, I think it's just either smb (unlikely) or KIO/gvfs depending on which DE I'm using.

As a tech, Windows 10 is far from stable and has major flaws that usually result in completely corrupted user profiles and loss of data. Combine that with Microsoft's odd decisions as late and compared to Windows 7 as an example I stand by my claim that Windows as an OS is going backwards while Linux is moving forwards.

As stated, it's unfortunate that you have issues under Linux, but I think you're issue is related more to your install or hardware, as to claim that I have ever experienced these same issues under a modern distro would be outright lying. If there was some way I could record my desktop with many chrome windows as well as Steam open without issue than I would, but unfortunately there isn't a solution that is going to highlight this clearly.

Your issues are no longer widespread. I'm not claiming this to be a smartarse, I just don't know how else to put it. I use the Compton GPU compositor, perhaps try that. Another option is to enable 'Force Composition Pipeline' or 'Force Full Composition Pipeline' under Nvidia X server settings.

My desktop using Nvidia drivers is every bit as fluid as my Windows 10 desktop and I've never noticed frame pacing issues or actually heard of anyone else complaining about them?

Last edited:
As a tech, Windows 10 is far from stable and has major flaws that usually result is completely corrupted user profiles and loss of data
Must have some horrible luck. I don't do this for a living (though I am a E-Tech), but I cover systems for about 15 friends and family. We've had minor issues here and there, but NOTHING like "corrupted user profiles and loss of data".

Yeah, I know, YMMV, but overall Win10 is the most stable and reliable op-system that I and most users (here on [H] and elsewhere) have ever experienced. The big clamor regarding Win10 is over telemetry, not stability.

Must have some horrible luck. I don't do this for a living (though I am a E-Tech), but I cover systems for about 15 friends and family. We've had minor issues here and there, but NOTHING like "corrupted user profiles and loss of data".

Yeah, I know, YMMV, but overall Win10 is the most stable and reliable op-system that I and most users (here on [H] and elsewhere) have ever experienced. The big clamor regarding Win10 is over telemetry, not stability.

Not horrible luck at all, just a shocking updating system from what I can see. Bear in mind that I deal with a far larger user base than most. In my experience Windows 7 was far more reliable.

Last edited:
Lunar, in your desktop screenshot in another thread you posted an image running the 4.10 kernel, did you manually update to 4.10 or is it officially supported by Linux Mint 18.1?

Y26gdL7.png

Lunar, in your desktop screenshot in another thread you posted an image running the 4.10 kernel, did you manually update to 4.10 or is it officially supported by Linux Mint 18.1?

Y26gdL7.png
So, Mint uses 4.4 out of the box, but provides 4.8 and 4.10 kernels as options. I was trying out newer kernels in the hopes that they would potentially solve the GUI acceleration issues I've been seeing, but they persist regardless of kernel. What I have found out however, after stumbling across a forum thread, that the issue appears to be with Muffin. What that means for me is that in order to use Cinnamon (which is about the only DE I like in Linux) I'm just going to have to live with it. I have found a workaround for Chrome, but Steam is still wonky. I'm thinking the actual cause has something to do with the relationship between the NVIDIA drivers, Muffin, and the handling of applications that bypass the standard window manager and use their own theme/window elements. Chrome and Steam are the only applications I've seen so far that cause this issue, and they both have 2 things in common that I'm aware of.

1. They both use their own methods for creating their UI's. They both seem to ignore the window manager and do their own thing.
2. They both use webkit.

The workaround I found for Chrome was to disable hardware acceleration in advanced settings, but then to enable "Override software rendering list" in chrome://flags. That, interestingly enough, has seemed to enable hardware acceleration of web elements while disabling it for the window manager. Kind of a weird way of doing it, but so far it seems to be working. Now the only application causing issues is Steam, and most of the time it lives on my second display as a friends list, so it isn't as much of a bother. Apparently the issue with Muffin has existed for a while, but so far the Mint team hasn't chosen to address it. More than likely it will get fixed next year when they migrate to Wayland.

Back