Making Win 8.1 Bootable USB?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Need to do a UEFI install and want to build a USB Bootable Windows 8.1 install. Looking around I see a million utilities to do this but not sure which one is worth using. Appreciate any advice on what I should use.

"ISO to USB" can make a bootable installer. But if you want to run the OS from USB flash drive, Linux is the only way. I actually have a 32GB UHS-I flash drive running Linux Mint and Windows VMs inside there.

I dont want to run it from the USB just need it for install.. Some boards and drives require USB install to get UEFI installs to work. I want to be ready for that.

Make sure whatever utility you use that your flash drive is formatted as FAT32. NTFS doesn't support EFI booting.

"Rufus" is my bootable USB creation tool of choice. It supports more than just windows, and it's fast and easy.

"Rufus" is my bootable USB creation tool of choice. It supports more than just windows, and it's fast and easy.

Ok, that was one I came across when looking for some. Thx for the feedback I will check it out as well.

Make sure whatever utility you use that your flash drive is formatted as FAT32. NTFS doesn't support EFI booting.

Latest version of Rufus does support UEFI:NTFS installs:
Version 2.1 (2015.03.23)

Add 32 bit support for UEFI:NTFS boot
Add standalone UEFI:NTFS boot installation, in advanced mode
Add Vietnamese translation, courtesy of thanhtai2009
Disable support for ISOs that hide their GRUB version (looking at you Kaspersky!)
Fix broken Windows UEFI installation when using GPT/NTFS (#461)
Fix creation of 32 bit UEFI Windows 10 installation flash drives (#462)
Other improvements (Notify when no update is available on manual check, add label for UEFI:NTFS partition, etc.)

Does this ms tool work for making a uefi bootable usb from my win 7 DVD or current install?

I had problems making one with Rufus (even though I normally had it work fine).

I had to wipe it with diskpart and do it the manual way.

Just format it fat32, and copy the files off the ISO to the drive.

Booted first time that way, other ways it would try ti boot UEFI and just drop me back to the UEFI boot screen or continue on to boot device #2.

FYI

Rufus and the UEFI option works OK. I didn't have much luck with the MS tool, I had always copy the EFI folder to get that to work.

Back