Making the text more clear on BF1942?

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

Right now my text is very difficult to see, it's sort of tiny and pixelated... what options in the game change that? I've tried working with them all, nothing has succeeded. :(

Also, how the hell do you aim the grenade launcher in desert combat? Ugh, this is really becomming a pain in my ass... this text is completely unreadable, and I have all of my settings maxed out, I do not know what is causing it to be this way!

Its the AF. Turn it down, and it will be better. Its a catch22, it does that with any card.

Try toggling the "alternate pixel center" in the Direct X compatibility settings of your graphics card drivers.

Hm... kind of worries me. I used to have AA/AF completely off before, because I wanted to get the most performance out of my card. I had another thread in [H] [found here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=736558] and the suggestion of 2xAA / AF made games perform a bit better... But I'll try the removing of AF. I will also look for the option that Sin said.

The AF does that. Mine did the same thing. This problem was fixed with the 4.2 CATS, so its not an issue anymore.

The disabling of AF did not help me at all, the text is still horrid, it has not changed one bit. I also cannot find that DX option the other fellow was talking about. :( Any other suggestions?

Also, still trying to 1) Figure out how to disable the intro movie for the game, and 2) How to shoot the grenade launchers for the assault rifles in DC. :) Any help is appreciated.

Originally posted by Punkrulz
The disabling of AF did not help me at all, the text is still horrid, it has not changed one bit. I also cannot find that DX option the other fellow was talking about. :( Any other suggestions?

Also, still trying to 1) Figure out how to disable the intro movie for the game, and 2) How to shoot the grenade launchers for the assault rifles in DC. :) Any help is appreciated.

For 1, delete them. For 2, practice.

The grenades are barely worth shooting anyways (Unless you're absolutely out of ammo).

They do little damage to arty and they have little to no splash damage.

Aye, the grenade launcher is completely useless now, don't bother with it. No one uses it online unless their a noob.

damn you have Nvidia drivers, thought you had ATI.

Try to find "alternate pixel center" options and toggle it. I'm 99% sure that's the answer.

To stop the intro movies from playing go to your Battlefield (or DC) shortcut and add in the line "+restart 1" in the "target" box.

-Ace-

D'oh! Dumbass me... I didn't bother to try +restart 1, I always thought that was for MOHAA, so I didn't try it for BF1942... I should have experimented with that lol. Hmm, then now I forget what MOHAA's skip intro is, but that's not as important. ;)

Ok, turning off AF did not help me... it helped with the text when you first start the game [viewing profiles, browsing servers, etc] however in game text is a whole other ballgame. That's still looking like crap. I have been searching and searching for this "alternate pixel center" option, I have not come acrossed it yet.

I've tried 0 AA / AF, 2x AA / AF, 0 AA / 2 AF, 2 AA / 0 AF, and have not been able to clean up the text while you're in game, and that's the most important at all to see what other people are saying.

Dude, I'm telling you it's gotta be the "alternate pixel center" setting. It's supposed to fix text corruption. Not sure if nvidia has the option though, I know ati does.

Good thing none of you play Raven Shield. At 1280x1024 on my 17" CRT, the text is tiny and blury when AA is on. I don't think there is a way to change the size of the text but it is the smallest and hardest to read in any game ever.

Originally posted by WickedAngel
The grenades are barely worth shooting anyways (Unless you're absolutely out of ammo).

They do little damage to arty and they have little to no splash damage.

The grenade launchers are far from useless, and actually can be quite effective against infantry hiding in buildings or behind objects. I have gotten many kills with the grenade launcher and I am far from a noob. You just have to learn the trajectory of the grenade and get a nearly direct hit.

Originally posted by AceTKK
To stop the intro movies from playing go to your Battlefield (or DC) shortcut and add in the line "+restart 1" in the "target" box.

-Ace-

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...

The old version of Bf1942 had it already built in, and I didn't know how to get rid of it in the newest version....I hate EA games they have like 10 clicks of intro..to get through

You just have to learn the trajectory of the grenade and get a nearly direct hit.

...which is exactly what grenades aren't for. Grenades are for splash damage, not accuracy. Shrapnel doesn't stop after traveling two feet outwards.

to get rid of the intro vids you add -nointro or something to the shortcut

You might need to reinstall your driver, I'm not sure. However, I can play BF with any amount of AF as I want, without effecting the text, but if I try anything more that x2 AA the text becomes more and more unreadable. I think it's all the AA, nothing to do with AF as far as I can tell on my system.

This has nothing to do with the thread, and I'll probably get banned for it, but is this a cool picture or what? I think it goes great with BF games :D

Big%20Cup%20of%20STFU.jpg

you can take out almost any vehicle (not tank) with some well placed gren shots. I love the gren launcher.

A nade to the chest will kill anything, and I find the splash damage is quite good, its best used in close quarters maps for hitting walls and stuff to do more damage instead of trying to hit the person or the ground near them. At least is a change from BFs normal see a person, hit the prone button, and hope you get off more bullets then the other guy kind of combat.

For your GeForce TI 4400, go into the video prefrences (right click desktop -> Properties -> Settings tab -> Advanced Button -> Your card's tab). Find the 'Performance 3D settings' and select Quality for the top option, deselect 'Application controlled', then set the second slider to off. Repeat for the AS as well. If that doesn't fix it, reinstall your drivers. ;)

Back