Making the MBP more desktop friendly (laptop stands)

mjukis

n00b
Well, the forum ate my thread yesterday :( Second try here we go!

I'm a "switcher" since little over a year ago. The Macbook Pro is my main machine, and it's getting more than a little old to write on the keyboard. I also play some games on occasion. I've got a mouse and a DAC in my USB ports, and an external harddrive in one of the firewire ports. I'm going to be getting an iphone soon, so I need some sort of a USB solution. It's mostly stationary, but gets moved around maybe once a week for various tasks.

Im looking at the Logitech Alto, the wireless keyboard alto is what I'm interested in. The cordless keyboard is nice, since its one less cable sticking out of the machine (I swear it looks like it has things growing out of it right now) The other is the mStand, which has a cable hole and looks slick as hell. VERY apple. But I'd need a separate USB solution.

Opinions and comments are appriciated, especially if you've used a laptop as a main machine for extended periods of time.

The mStand is worth every penny. I used to have one at my previous employer and it made it 100Xs better on the neck and eyes. I never had any cooling issues but I'm sure it doesn't hurt either.

I need help on this topic as well. I need an active cooling solution integrated into some sort of stand. Thinking of just making one. Picture of my ghetto setup now.. LOL.
I have a small desktop fan to the right, just out of the picture that shoots air underneath the MBP to keep the temps from catching the lappy on fire while gaming. :rolleyes:
MBPGhettosetup.jpg

Decided to go with the mStand. I'll post some pics and as much as an evaluation of it as I can give on a piece of aluminum :p

I have the Alto and love it. It's very portable also as I constantly take my laptop to and from my different offices/workplaces. The USB hub definitely comes in handy.

+1 for the mStand. Got mine from FRY's about a year ago, not long after 'semi' switching with my MBP purchase. Looks as good as the day I unboxed it and still just as striking.

I just got the mStand. Pics can be found here. Nothing spectacular, and I'm tired as hell so I crapped out on editing/cropping and colorchecking them. One thing is for sure though, this is as close as you'll get to an official Apple stand. A single piece of art. The packaging was also apple like. One box, three flaps to open and then its just the stand, a pamphlet and 2 cardbord rests for the stand.

It works. It keeps my laptop higher up :p Such a shame that my walls are colored something between beige and white. I need a new desk and a new chair as well. A wireless apple keyboard would be nice, to free up a usb port :) Funds are short though.

EDIT/addendum: I think it runs cooler. I was idling at 43-45*C before. Now it's up to 49. Might be my imagination.

Back