Making own desk need help

eL c0L0mb1aNo

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, me and my friend are building a table for computer and other equipment. We've been trying to plan the desk out using a 3d modeling program, namely MilkShape3D. It was recommended to [H] in an old thread about desks so I decided to give it a shot. It's pretty hard to use since I suck at 3D modeling.

Below is a picture of what we have so far. What I am basically asking is if anyone knows how to use MilkShape3D, could you advise on how to make shelves and stuff. I have been trying to do extrusions but they haven't been working too well. Also, if anyone has suggestions for how to build a better table. We're trying to get shelves underneath for his vinyls.

Arite, so below is the picture, suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance for any help. :D

desk1.JPG

I've never used milkshape but, that desk is going to be expensive! Atleast 10k!;) (I just couldn't resist)

Maybe someone on the forum who is really good could make you one. Maybe someone from the art board.

come up with a system so that you can route all the cables (power and networking and everything) so that it'll look even nicer and cleaner. i dunno exactly what ya can do but figure out something :)

is the desk for a single computer, multiple monitors, multiple systems, etc.

What size space is it going into?

Are you looking for a built in design?

i am his friend...
and this isnt for a computer.. its for a DJ setup... we want to like make a table about 3 feet high with two shelves one for home theater
we also want to make shevles for vinyls going vertically but havent figured that one out yet

you can use Autodesk Inventor. It rocks! I took a class in it, but it's not really hard to use if you go through the tutorials. Best of all... you can use it free as long as you want, it'll just keep asking you to register.

Best of luck

D'oh. Stupid brain fart. Yeah, his DJ equipment. I'm gonna try and learn some more stuff so I can update the picture that I have there. No 10k desk here. :D

you can use Autodesk Inventor. It rocks! I took a class in it, but it's not really hard to use if you go through the tutorials. Best of all... you can use it free as long as you want, it'll just keep asking you to register.

Best of luck

Originally posted by jdhogg
haha, its good to see references to that $10k desk

DAMMIT so much for being first 10k reference :(

Just buy a desk, its not worth making one unless you have LOTS of time

Why not just use graph paper and a pencil? It may sound crude, but sometimes it is just more effective and quick to do it on paper and spend more time putting details in the desk. Really, building a desk is not that difficult, but I suggest you start out at office max or somewhere you might find a desk and take measurements. You will need to measure the appropriate height of the desk, the amount of desk space you want/need/can fit in the room. You will also need to buy appropriate wood or whatever material you want.

Sometimes, using 3d programs just isnt that appropriate. Personally, I use my brain as a CAD program :D I can ususally just make stuff on the fly, as I intend to do with my next desk.

Yeah, we were trying to do it with pencil and graph paper but we were trying to be cool and use 3d modeling. I'm gonna try it out tomorrow when I get up while i am waiting for laundry to finish. Break out my drafting scale and drafting stuff. Drafting sucked! :D

I'll look into that Autodesk inventor dealy. ALso, the desk is really just gonna be a flat top surface with a second shelf just underneath it, maybe 3 inches between the two. And then some cubes for holding vinyls and other stuff. DOn't think office max desks would help for that too much. Thanks for tips and suggestions guys. Keep em coming.

Ive built two custom desks in my lifetime. The reason why I do custom desks is because for me it is worth it. Everything fits perfectly, and just where I want it.

I dont have to adapt to the desk, the desk adapts to me.

I posted a bunch of tips in the other desk thread, and im too sick to go copy and paste. (Physically sick as in cough and headache, and barely walking).

Good Luck, hit me on aim if you need any help

it sounds like you're making a very basic desk.... I second the idea to just use graph paper and pen.... why spend time learning a 3d program when you could spend that time working on little details of the desk that would end up really making it worth building..... the 3d program really might not help, even if you can learn it. Spend the time figuring features that would really make the desk "cool" or functional as well as figure out the easiest way to build it, saving you even more time..

what materials are you using? anything you need besides a place to hold some vinyls?

-Hex..

Originally posted by eL c0L0mb1aNo
D'oh. Stupid brain fart. Yeah, his DJ equipment. I'm gonna try and learn some more stuff so I can update the picture that I have there. No 10k desk here. :D

HeHe, first thing I thought of when I saw this thread too... hehe
Yea, don't ask Lantec for help making a desk... :p

I designed mine in autoCAD since I'm a drafter by trade. I figured out what size pieces I needed and how much wood to buy as well. It all worked out perfectly and came together perfectly as well.

P1010819.JPG

Finished Pic

I used MDF to construct it with.

You could do something similar very easily

If you have some questions or need some help with the design drop me an email at:
http://www.chevy4x4trucks.com/website/contact.html

We bought a kitchen counter thing and got some custom drawers made (expsenive :p) and some keyboard type roller things and put it together

Back