Making my apartment wireless

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by mrtheshaggy, Sep 15, 2013.

1. mrtheshaggy

mrtheshaggy [H]ard|Gawd

I live in an apartment complex with tons of wireless network all around me. I used to have a Belkin wireless adapter and router which worked fine with not other wireless around, but was trashed in the apartment complex. Upgraded to a nicer Asus router and wireless adapter, which didn't help. Both were 2.4 GHz, and switching around channels 1 thru 11 did nothing.

So my question for those living is busy wireless areas. Would dropping some cash on a 5.4GHz setup potentially solve my problem?

2. klank

klank Killer of Killer NIC Threadz

5Ghz will help since there are more available channels.

Download inSSIDer and run a quick scan in the 5Ghz channels to see what is available. If you post a screenshot of the capture we can assist with picking a channel, etc.

3. mrtheshaggy

mrtheshaggy [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks, I've become very familiar with inssider as a result of this dilema. My current setup can't see 5 GHz.

Any recommendations on a router? I'd like to keep it less than $100. Then I'll drop up to another $50 on a pci wireless adapter. It would also need very powerful 2.4GHz potential for all the wireless devices I have (tablet, smart phone, etc).

4. mkrohn

mkrohn 2[H]4U

I was in an apartment as recently as last year and I had to go 5ghz because 2.4 was too jammed up. If you dont mind slow speed use multiple 2.4ghz points on different channels to help cover you.

5. mkrohn

mkrohn 2[H]4U

plug in where possible too

6. mrtheshaggy

mrtheshaggy [H]ard|Gawd

I'm going to hold out and buy the almond+. Hopefully will be available in the next few weeks.

7. wizdum

wizdum [H]ard|Gawd

If theres no free channels, then there's no free channels. A more powerful AP isn't going help unless your plan is to flood the area with interference in the hopes that your neighbors give up on wireless and unplug their wireless APs.

8. mrtheshaggy

mrtheshaggy [H]ard|Gawd

Almond+ is 2.4/5GHz