Making Female Video Game Characters With Average Body Types

I generally don't care if someone is fat, skinny, fluffy, whatever.... mind your own god damn business. If you wanna be fat, be fat. But don't have the unrealistic expectation that everyone else shouldn't care about their health too.

I'm not ripped and I probably never will be, but 6'1 and 210lbs, I can move when I need to :)

lol, at the recent rate of obesity growth, 2/3 of US Americans will be obese by 2030. We don't need space travel like in WALL-E to bloat. We have enough junk food and people willing to constantly stuff their faces to get extra, extra fat down on good old Terra.

LOL go search heaviest people in the world. Guess what country has most of the list.....Murica!!! om nom nom nom nom

I read this as more of a "Here's what these characters would look like with an average female body type" and less of a "This is what these characters should look like" so I don't really get the poutrage in this thread

Comparing the bodies of male comic and game characters as also unrealistic is disingenuous. The male bodies, while unrealistic, represent male power fantasies, while the female bodies are also created for the male's eye. That's the difference.

Does that mean every female character needs to be fat? Hardly. But acting like its a complete non-issue doesn't help.

The website linked is a bulemia support website, and they posted this to highlight the unrealistic standard of beauty in games by showing what characters would look like if they had average builds. Its in pretty poor taste to attack it.

Agreed, but it's also unfair to judge an entire industry using examples from 10 years ago without acknowledging that some progress has been made. 2014 Lara is a far cry from 2003 Lara, even if she does still conform to a certain standard of beauty.

If they're going for "realism"..... Average looking women can not even come close to perform the feats some of these women perform... and I mean that without the magic and fantastic/scientific stuff.

*sigh* Plus sized women are hardly an "average" of what is real, especially when you take into account that these women in games, and the activities/jobs they do definitely put them into the 1% of the population. How many plus sized women soccer players are there? how about women basketball? hell any Olympic event, maybe weightlifting, shot put, and maybe any of the shooting a gun because some idiot thinks that's an athletic activity. Most women who are very active are not plus sized to the point that you'll have a hard time find them in real life. So all those fighting game characters who are plus sized... THAT'S UNREALISTIC, all those heroines who are saving the world, they're pretty god damn active and not plus sized. If anything it should give people a sense for what is necessary, a fat chick isn't going to be winning races, you want to win races, you need to get your body into a condition to do so.

And just as a bit of example
3445290-2485086653-9038-.jpg

Young boys have had to deal with images like this for decades upon decades, how many of boys get uptight and develop cases of bulimia?

If they're going for "realism"..... Average looking women can not even come close to perform the feats some of these women perform... and I mean that without the magic and fantastic/scientific stuff.

Not to nitpick, but neither could women that look like these women. The "top heavy waif" body type, in general, isn't jumping out of any moving trains.

I know plenty of people that have bodies like that girl in GTA. If a game manufacturer wants to model a game after them and not someone that's too lazy to go to the gym by all means, go for it. If fattie mcfat pants gets her plus sized undies in a bind over it she should she should be mad at her laziness and not some game manufacturer.

Most guys are going to think another man is a "pussy" for arguing that video game models need to be realistic, so I don't it will change anytime really soon. It is ridiculous however because it makes our daughters think that they need to be prettier than humanly possible. I.e., it does add to cultural stupidity.

Logical fallacy. It's not black-or-white, all or nothing. Having better than an "average" body *is* humanly possible. Eating healthy, exercising, and avoiding heart disease - those things will get you a better than average body. Some people are just trying to rationalize their laziness and complacency - men and women alike. This counter-fat-shaming movement that carries on in extremes and absolutes about "fat is okay because bulimia is bad" is as absurd and one dimensional as saying "Don't drive because going 200MPH is dangerous".

Personality is the primary feature that is useful in a mate anyway.

You can't have sex with personality.

Hey, I prefer women with at least a little meat on their bones, but this is retarded. I didn't see one example in those images where the original was unrealistic in any way. mls1995 is correct, you see the same thing in movies. Fortunately there's all types of body types, skinny no boobs, skinny big boobs, heavier no boobs, etc.

I kinda got the vibe from the article that the author prefers heavier small breasted women.

Yea I got that feeling too after looking through all the drawings, every one of them were alittle bit bigger, but lost a size or 2 in the boobs.

Honestly, All the big girls I know, and have dated have exceptionally bigger boobs than skinny girls, which is why I like them. :D:D:D

I'm guessing these guys also never had the fantasy vs reality talk with their parents:

article-0-1C2A3E4A00000578-894_634x557.jpg

1521bda7-a79b-4c6e-bba4-0de6586d7795.jpg

and you know that girl is getting all horny thinking about how manly her dude is :p

Barbie thing isn't a great comparison

There is genuine harm done to young girls who try to look like her

However, He-Man is similar to (as someone mentioned earlier) a power fantasy, and not something young boys think is normal and harm themselves into becoming. Although there have recently been studies done on steroid abuse in the male teen population not related to sports, which could be a trend towards

Plus, He-Man's physique is relevant to the acts he accomplishes and not representative of a standard, while Barbie's unrealistic proportions are not a requirement to anything she does

But again: the media has far more realistic physical representations of men than of women (as in physically possible and functional), and the purpose of those representation is significantly different as well

If it's ok to like fat girls, then I guess it's ok to like bulimic ones too, right?

Can we keep men in games looking unrealistic? I'd like to believe I look like this except you know my swords bigger. ;)

1490690-conan.jpg

Most of those female characters are far from unrealistic. I see plenty of bodies like that in the gym, the one place people tend to avoid. Nothing short of what I'd expect from this kind of website.

Right, because romance novel covers are full of effeminate looking guys :rolleyes:

AND of course obese normal-looking women star in movies all the time too. Yeah, right. Once it a while it happens but people play video games and watch movies to escape reality.

When its movies, the fact women are jealous of the competition, becomes apparent too easily when its actual people. When its drawn art, its less obvious to others and even themselves.

That article and the images in it are just plain absurd... Apparently, in the eyes of whoever wrote that drivel and photoshopped those images, "realistic" should always mean "overweight", and since that's "realism", then even fantasy characters should reflect that "realism".

What a crock of shit. It's called fantasy for a reason!

Exactly. I was just in leavenworth, WA... and holy shit, all the women were fuckin fit and hot as hell. I have a feeling the author is overweight with small boobs and angry at the world about it. Don't like it? Work out.

Comparing the bodies of male comic and game characters as also unrealistic is disingenuous. The male bodies, while unrealistic, represent male power fantasies, while the female bodies are also created for the male's eye. That's the difference.

Does that mean every female character needs to be fat? Hardly. But acting like its a complete non-issue doesn't help.

The website linked is a bulemia support website, and they posted this to highlight the unrealistic standard of beauty in games by showing what characters would look like if they had average builds. Its in pretty poor taste to attack it.
This SOUNDS like a good argument, but completely falls flat when you look at any marketing towards women. Makeup, clothes, etc. Pick up a Victoria Secret catalog one day... this is marketing towards women. Where are the fat chicks?

So let me get this straight. They took some female characters in video games they were offended by because they don't look like the average woman in America. Why would elite soldiers, professional adventurers, and top tier fighters look like the average american female?

They have Sonya Blade as chubby, but she is an elite soldier. Shouldn't she look more like an elite soldier than an average woman.

Helena Douglas, Christie Monteiro, and 'Jade' are all in fighting games. They are professional fighters. Not everyday women. They'd probably look more like Gina Carano than a soccer mom, wouldn't they?

Gina Carano was a professional female fighter. He body shape had more similarities to the unaltered versions of those characters, than the 'chubby' versions. Why should characters who are supposed to be exceptional be depicted as average so that people aren't offended?

I see no reason why video game heroins need to be 'chubby' just because average Americans are. An argument could be made for ludicrous proportions in a bunch of cases ( giant boobs on a woman with a waist completely out of proportion to hips and stuff like that ), but giving exceptional soldiers and fighters a round belly and love handles is kinda silly.

*sigh* Plus sized women are hardly an "average" of what is real, especially when you take into account that these women in games, and the activities/jobs they do definitely put them into the 1% of the population. How many plus sized women soccer players are there? how about women basketball? hell any Olympic event, maybe weightlifting, shot put, and maybe any of the shooting a gun because some idiot thinks that's an athletic activity. Most women who are very active are not plus sized to the point that you'll have a hard time find them in real life. So all those fighting game characters who are plus sized... THAT'S UNREALISTIC, all those heroines who are saving the world, they're pretty god damn active and not plus sized. If anything it should give people a sense for what is necessary, a fat chick isn't going to be winning races, you want to win races, you need to get your body into a condition to do so.

While I agree with you on most of it, plus sized is now average. 70% of this country is overweight. We have more obese people today than we had overweight people just 40 years ago. So fat does mean average.

We're now at the point that people complain of fat shaming if companies use healthy women in their advertisements, such as what happened in the UK with Protein World. Remember, you're part of the problem if you care about being healthy instead of being part of the solution with stuffing your face with McDonalds and other garbage.

Exactly. I was just in leavenworth, WA... and holy shit, all the women were fuckin fit and hot as hell. I have a feeling the author is overweight with small boobs and angry at the world about it. Don't like it? Work out.

This SOUNDS like a good argument, but completely falls flat when you look at any marketing towards women. Makeup, clothes, etc. Pick up a Victoria Secret catalog one day... this is marketing towards women. Where are the fat chicks?

It's marketing towards women, sure. They are marketing a product and their sales pitch is that the product makes you more pleasing to men.

Except a lot of those super hot women are lesbians.

It's marketing towards women, sure. They are marketing a product and their sales pitch is that the product makes you more pleasing to men.

So then, women have "female sexy fantasies" where they're so hot they attract all the men.

How is this different from "male power fantasies"?

I don't play games to pretend I'm average. It's fantasy, an escape, and does not need to mirror reality.

There, fixed it for you :D

Exactly. Comics have consistently portrayed humans as longer legged, narrower hipped and bigger chested (ESPECIALLY women) pretty much from the get go.

Of course, then you get into Liefeld territory...

tumblr_inline_n9i4ckxFfx1qzhf5k.jpg

252313-93775-rob-liefeld.gif

past6.jpg

Back